Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2005, 04:04 AM   #1

We just got my wife a new CRV with the intention of using it as a toad in a year or so when we retire. I haven't looked in the manual yet, but the salesman said that we should tow it with the front wheels off the ground. Has something changed, or is the salesman just whacky?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
ehackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:04 AM   #2

We just got my wife a new CRV with the intention of using it as a toad in a year or so when we retire. I haven't looked in the manual yet, but the salesman said that we should tow it with the front wheels off the ground. Has something changed, or is the salesman just whacky?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
Old 03-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #3

He apparently is not very knowledgeable about that which he sells. 05 CRV IS TOWABLE four down, just read your manual. Congrats on a wise purchase.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. My wive loves the CR-V, BTW.

Hack
--//--
Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #5

I just picked up our 2005 CRV LX. I am interested in towing it but have never towed a car. I am a bit wary especially of not being able to back up.

Toad Honda CRV
dinotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #6

dinotoad: crv-lx........sweeeet!!
DON'T WORRY, all you need is a blue ox base plate and blue ox tow bar, both of which are available from RVUPGRADES here at iRV2. Then with saftey in mind, please consider adding a supplemental braking system to the CRV to ensure you are not overtaxing the brakes on your class C. You will also want to add a connection from the MH to activate your toads rear lights, and blue ox has two options for that too. Pick the one you are most comfortable with. Congrats on the CRV, and yes you will NOT be able to back up when towing, so just plan ahead and don't get into a spot where you need to
Old 03-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #7

We also tow a CRV and love it. I did get in a situation one time where I couldn't back up and had to disconnect.... now I am more cautious about turning into parking lots that are crowded.

We bought our towbar and baseplate at Camping World. I particularly like our brake system, because it can be easily applied manually when needed.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I presently tow a 2002 Honda Accord LX, which weighs 3150#.
What is the weight of the CRV ?

I am interested in a little more room.
BD
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #9

3,318 pounds per crv literature. and it has 72 cu.ft. of cargo capacity

If you go to www.edmunds.com you can do side by side comparisons of several competing vehicles, and read some pros & cons on each also.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the reply. I love the accord, but it is a 2 door and gets tight with more thatn two people in it.
Looking to stay under 4000Lbs, so I should find a few small ones out there.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #11

Howdy,
We've been towing our 2003 CRV for about 18 months, no towing complaints at all. We are looking at the larger Pilot, only for the additional room. Not really sure about the extra weight though. Any thoughts on the Pilot??
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TwoOfUs:
Howdy,
We've been towing our 2003 CRV for about 18 months, no towing complaints at all. We are looking at the larger Pilot, only for the additional room. Not really sure about the extra weight though. Any thoughts on the Pilot?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have the Pilot and it is awesome. It is our only car, other than the MH. I am a big guy (6'4") and needed a bit more room that the CRV had. We also love the way the 4WD system works. We decided on the M&G air brake system. It is so simple and easy to use. I would do both the Pilot and brakes again in a heartbeat.

Walt
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #13

We tow a 2002 CR-V - it follows like a tail. The owner's manual states that the only way to tow it is 4 wheels down (or on a flatbed, but that's not towing) - never with only 2 down. One very important note (which I learned from an earlier thread here) is that if the "Accessories" fuse (#8 in the internal bank of fuses) - is not removed, the CR-V battery will be discharged by the invisible power users (radio, etc.). What I learned on my own is that with the fuse pulled, the transmission will not shift into park or reverse. I make sure that we're all hooked up before I pull the fuse.