Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

2005 Honda CRv -Pull fuse?

I've been flat towing my '05 CRv for 7 years. Several times lately when I arrive at a destination the car battery would be dead. 3 years ago I replaced the battery and now the batt has gone dead twice in recent weeks. When I find it dead I now just leave it plugged into my coach until the next day and it seems fine. I went to a batt store to buy a new one and it tested fine under a load. Soooooo, my question is .....is there a fuse I should be pulling to avoid the batt discharge? From day one I was told that this vehicle does NOT. Require pulling a fuse. If I could avoid discharging the batt by pulling a fuse I'd do it. So, if that's the case, which fuse would that be?

Thanks!

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Jim,

Our 2005 Saturn Vue has the Honda V6 engine and transaxle.. Our owners manual says to pull the ignition fuse when towing. The one time I forgot to pull the fuse, I killed the battery. I think you shold probably pull the ignition fuse.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,
The fuse to pull is #18.
Do you have a supplemental breaking system? If so, what are you using?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

I just got back from a trip and my battery went dead about 5 miles from home. I have a 2011 CRV with a Blue Ox Patriot brake system. The manual in the car said the only thing I have to do is unplug the radio fuse. I didn't do that. On our way down to FL we stopped overnight half way. I disconnected the car and we drove it to eat out that evening and the next morning. It towed the rest of the way no problem. When we came home, we stopped overnight in a pull through spot and did not drive it. The only thing I did was run it a short time to circulate the transmission oil prior to leaving. I guess it wasn't long enough to charge it up. So it went dead after about 10 1/2 hours being towed. So next time I will put my little car charger on it overnight if I don't drive it. I could also wire the brake system to run off of the motor home too and pull the fuse on the car. This was my first long trip and the first trip towing a car.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
I've been flat towing my '05 CRv for 7 years. Several times lately when I arrive at a destination the car battery would be dead. 3 years ago I replaced the battery and now the batt has gone dead twice in recent weeks. When I find it dead I now just leave it plugged into my coach until the next day and it seems fine. I went to a batt store to buy a new one and it tested fine under a load. Soooooo, my question is .....is there a fuse I should be pulling to avoid the batt discharge? From day one I was told that this vehicle does NOT. Require pulling a fuse. If I could avoid discharging the batt by pulling a fuse I'd do it. So, if that's the case, which fuse would that be?

Thanks!

Jim
Your signature does not indicate what type of rig you have. Gas or Diesel.
On my DP, I have a Battery Charge Line that is connected to the battery at the Master Switch in the engine compartment of the MH. Then runs through a 20A fuse to one of the pins on the 7 Pin Lighting Plug.
On the Toad side this line runs through another 20A fuse and connects to the Toad Battery.
Never nave to pull fuses and never have a dead battery because it is being charged by the MH battery.
If you have a Gas Rig, I'm not sure how the power is sourced from the MH but I'm sure it can be done.
Attached is a link for a wiring diagram that should help.

7-way - 7 pole RV Travel Trailer Connector Wiring Color Code
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #6

i installed a charge line along side with signal lines. i would say that is a simple thing to do and the ultimate solution.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

I went back and looked at the owner's manual again. Of course, the answer was the next page over which I had never read! It show a diagram and says to pull #18.

I did that yesterday after driving about 3 hours. When I got to my destination the car started but it almost did not have enough juice to do so. I am home for awhile and am sure my batt will be fine. On my next trip out of town I'll pull #18 and we'll see how it goes. When I pulled the fuse the clock on the radio went out. Does someone know specificially which elec items are controlled by #18?

Jeff, I have a Unified Tow Brake made by U.S. Gear. Have had it since I started towing and really like it!

Jim

Tags
fuse