Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #15

Charlie: Just go for it! The next time you will be able to give answers when this comes up.

Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm in the process of "going for it." The base plate and seat bracket will be here early next week. I'm currently shopping for wire loom to do the wiring while I wait. I can find it locally in small quantities but I'd rather not splice it if I don't have to. The on-line sources sell in huge quantities that I wouldn't use up in my lifetime.

The other thing I cannot find is a storage area cover. None came with the vehicle and Saturn doesn't make them any more. Does any one have a good source? I'm not comfortable having a car where everything inside is visible in this day and age. They are smashing windows around here and are gone before the police can arrive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #17

Haven't been able to find a storage area cover also. What we did was take 2 large BLACK towels and sew them together, side by side, and that has worked well.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #18
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
Paz, a million thanks for your details. They help a lot. Since I'm the kind of guy who will shameless milk a situation for all that it is worth, here are yet another set of questions.

- I see the access to the driver's side light through the jack panel. Can I pick up the wiring to the passenger side light there too? If not, how do I get access? I was looking at the passenger side when I determined that it looked challenging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I removed the trim panel from inside the fender on the passenger side. That's the only way I could find to get to the wires for that side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I run a flat 4 wire connector on my SL-1. I assume that when you split the turn signal/brake light wiring, you went to a 6 wire cable. Did you go with the standard coiled one and, if so, has that worked out well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct, I use a 6-wire, coiled cable. No problems so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, I'm assuming that with the signals split, even with diodes, that the turn signal bulb illumination shows up well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
By using diodes, you are using all the original bulbs. As long as voltage from the motorhome is up to par and there are no excessive resistance losses in the wiring (loose or corroded connections or wire gauge too small), the lights on the Vue when being towed should look the same as the original lights.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I appreciate your help on this. Given time, I can figure all of this stuff out but when my parts come for the Vue, I'm going to have a very short window to get the installations completed. The more information that I have in advance, the faster and easier the installation work is going to proceed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I always like to do gather as much info in advance as I can, too. The fewer surprises the better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm currently shopping for wire loom to do the wiring while I wait. I can find it locally in small quantities but I'd rather not splice it if I don't have to. The on-line sources sell in huge quantities that I wouldn't use up in my lifetime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wal-Mart and most auto parts stores sell 25 or 50' rolls of wire in various colors. I just bought the colors I needed and ran them through a piece the flexible, corrugated wire protector (also available at most auto parts stores).
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all of your additional information, Paz. My local auto parts stores and Wal-Mart only seem to carry 6' lengths of wire loom in packages, hence my questions. I'd be thrilled with a 25' package of that but haven't found it locally. The Internet sites want as much or more for shipping than for the product itself. As you indicated, I can find the wire itself locally without issues. I hope to pick up the later today.

I was afraid that removing the inside of the passenger side panel was going to be the answer. Ugh. Thanks for confirming that, however.

Thanks again.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote