Just completed work on the mods necessary to convert our 2006 Chev Colorado 2wd for toad / dinghy duties. I had originally been looking for a 4wd so that I could just shift the transfer case into neutral but I just couldn't find one that wasn't ragged out and super high mileage, my total budget was $15k to cover everything and this vehicle will also be a daily driver for my girlfriends house cleaning business.
This truck only had 39k miles original owner and with tax and registration I was in it for $12,400. We wanted a pickup so that we could load one or both of our scooters or one scooter and some firewood.
I got a real nice Roadmaster Sterling aluminum tow bar setup with my Trek when I bought it this summer so a big expense was avoided there.
The "base plate" adapters from roadmaster/blue ox and others were a minimum of $250 and for what you get/need there was no way I was going to go that route. I spent about $25 in raw material and fabricated my own. I also got the lighting wiring and diodes installed for the tow lighting and I got the VIP Tow><Brake wiring installed as well (completed the motorhome side a few weeks back). No small amount of labor but I'm sure I saved myself a few hundred on those installs as well.
The most challenging (and expensive)was definitely the Remco Driveshaft Disconnect system ($1110 shipped from Southwest Driveline) which consist of the shifting system and a brand new driveshaft (though you have to reuse your existing slip yoke, not your average DIY job, if you like to take liberties with instructions then this probably isn't the project for you.. you have to pay very close attention to locating and securing the shifting mechanism and you have to grind some locating grooves in your differential housing so that the securing u-bolt doesn't slip and loosen.
Everything is working really well, VIP Tow><Brake ($1000 shipped), diodes in the lighting system ($25 from etrailer.com) and the driveshaft disconnect is extremely easy to use, very happy with all these mods. I also finished all of this for a couple hundred under budget so I was real happy with that as well.
Here's the updated link to the pics and a couple attached: