Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
2006 Chevy Colorado 2wd Toad Conversion

Just completed work on the mods necessary to convert our 2006 Chev Colorado 2wd for toad / dinghy duties. I had originally been looking for a 4wd so that I could just shift the transfer case into neutral but I just couldn't find one that wasn't ragged out and super high mileage, my total budget was $15k to cover everything and this vehicle will also be a daily driver for my girlfriends house cleaning business.
This truck only had 39k miles original owner and with tax and registration I was in it for $12,400. We wanted a pickup so that we could load one or both of our scooters or one scooter and some firewood.
I got a real nice Roadmaster Sterling aluminum tow bar setup with my Trek when I bought it this summer so a big expense was avoided there.
The "base plate" adapters from roadmaster/blue ox and others were a minimum of $250 and for what you get/need there was no way I was going to go that route. I spent about $25 in raw material and fabricated my own. I also got the lighting wiring and diodes installed for the tow lighting and I got the VIP Tow><Brake wiring installed as well (completed the motorhome side a few weeks back). No small amount of labor but I'm sure I saved myself a few hundred on those installs as well.
The most challenging (and expensive)was definitely the Remco Driveshaft Disconnect system ($1110 shipped from Southwest Driveline) which consist of the shifting system and a brand new driveshaft (though you have to reuse your existing slip yoke, not your average DIY job, if you like to take liberties with instructions then this probably isn't the project for you.. you have to pay very close attention to locating and securing the shifting mechanism and you have to grind some locating grooves in your differential housing so that the securing u-bolt doesn't slip and loosen.
Everything is working really well, VIP Tow><Brake ($1000 shipped), diodes in the lighting system ($25 from etrailer.com) and the driveshaft disconnect is extremely easy to use, very happy with all these mods. I also finished all of this for a couple hundred under budget so I was real happy with that as well.
Here's the updated link to the pics and a couple attached:

Len / Oceanside,CA
1976 FMC 2900r LBZ Duramax/Allison Powered
Len.Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just wondering if it would have been easier/cheaper to install the transfer case and driveshaft from a junkyard 4wd Colorado instead of the Remco? I know my Jeep Cherokee can be toad with the front driveshaft removed without issue...just place it in park and the transfer case in neutral.. all set to go.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
No, there is a lot more to it than that, BCM would have to be reprogrammed, adding all the wiring harness and adding the dash switches to control the t-case, etc..
The lower weight of the 2wd was also attractive to me, I really need to stay below 5000lbs to keep within my GCWR of 21000lbs and with the bed loaded with a scooter, firewood and tools I'm at about 4600lbs now.
This Remco design is well matured and has decades of usage.
Len / Oceanside,CA
1976 FMC 2900r LBZ Duramax/Allison Powered
Len.Barron is offline   Reply With Quote

chevy, toad