Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

We just purchased a 2006 Dodge Dakota to tow. The owners manual instructions are fairly simple. After we got home, we found an "Addendum to the owners manual" that states that the battery must be disconnected after shifting the transfer case into neutral.

How have you other Dodge Dakota owners dealt with this issue? How do you provide power to the braking system with the battery disconnected? We have the SMI Silent Partner braking system.

2005 Newmar MADP
John and Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #2

We just purchased a 2006 Dodge Dakota to tow. The owners manual instructions are fairly simple. After we got home, we found an "Addendum to the owners manual" that states that the battery must be disconnected after shifting the transfer case into neutral.

How have you other Dodge Dakota owners dealt with this issue? How do you provide power to the braking system with the battery disconnected? We have the SMI Silent Partner braking system.

2005 Newmar MADP
John and Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John...I just finished the install of the SMI Air Force One on my 2007 Dakota. I struggled over the same issue and have determined that they only want the battery disconnected because with the key on and the depressing of the brake pedal with the SMI unit there will be battery drain.

Here's what I did. I ran a charge wire from the M/H to the Dakota. I connected a 14 gauge wire from the M/H engine battery to a 10amp fuse and then a large automotive diode. I ran the wire through the trailer wire connection and to the Dakota battery.

I also had an ignition key made at Home Depot. It's not chipped and will not let you start the Dakota, but it will allow you to turn it to the off position to free the wheel.

I towed the truck and everything works great. I thought the battery disconnect issue may also cause the speedo to record mileage. It didn't.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You have three options:

1) Use Don's method above.

2) Tap into the battery behind the disconnect switch. Dodge tells you to disconnect the ground, but when I install on these types of vehicles, I move the disconnect switch from the ground terminal to the positive terminal. Then I hook it up in this order: Battery (+), SMI power, disconnect switch, original battery cable. In this case, the brake lights of the Dakota would still be inoperable. For your SilentPartner, tap transmitter red wire into the blue wire that goes from unit to the breakaway switch instead of the brake-light switch. *This is the method I usually use.

3) Use a portable power jumper to power your SMI system. In this case, you would still need to tap-in to the blue wire as in the second option.

Feel free to write or call me for any additional information.

Brent Schuck
Research and Development
Graphic Design
SMI Manufacturing, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote