Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

2006 Honda Civic EX 4 Down?

Anyone ever tow a 2006 Honda Civic EX(or similar) 4 down? So here's the deal - I was talking to a vendor that sells lube pumps and we got to talking about my Honda being what it would take to get one installed...He was telling me they don't make one for this year model of Hondas(or the CRVs - same tranny supposedly) because they can be towed 4 down following the directions in the owners manual(more on this later).

So next I went to the DEMCO site(demco-products.com) and was looking up base plates. I guess I wasn't too surprised in finding one for this make. But my other vehicle(2012 Acura TSX) explicit says that it can only be towed with a dolly.

So the manually talks about the IFs you have to tow with the front wheels down, you must place into DRIVE then NEUTRAL, turn the ignition off and leave in the acc mode so the steering wheel doesn't lock.

Having said all of this, I re-ask my question if anyone has done it? Recommend it? Thinking someone here will know first hand or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to remco.com and plug in the info, they say it is towable as is.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Are you sure you meant remco.com? That's a water system and control site. I have heard of Demco!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Thank you - that was actually the site I was thinking of when I stumbled upon DEMCO. This one is much better.
  • Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
  • When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.

Next up - research around battery drain issues, hitch solutions, braking solutions(electric or other), what else?

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a toad charge.

TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

The Honda Civic automatic transmission can be towed 4 wheels down. To start you must go through all gears with the engine running. I go R N D, etc and then back up to N. After that you need to let the engine run for five minutes. After that you are fine. You can stop for lunch without going through the process again. It is also useful to get a knife switch to attach to the negative side of your battery. You can then disengage the battery from the car. If you don't do that you will probably discharge your battery and have to get a jump start.
jwood498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Anyone ever tow a 2006 Honda Civic EX(or similar) 4 down? So here's the deal - I was talking to a vendor that sells lube pumps and we got to talking about my Honda being what it would take to get one installed...He was telling me they don't make one for this year model of Hondas(or the CRVs - same tranny supposedly) because they can be towed 4 down following the directions in the owners manual(more on this later).

So next I went to the DEMCO site(demco-products.com) and was looking up base plates. I guess I wasn't too surprised in finding one for this make. But my other vehicle(2012 Acura TSX) explicit says that it can only be towed with a dolly.

So the manually talks about the IFs you have to tow with the front wheels down, you must place into DRIVE then NEUTRAL, turn the ignition off and leave in the acc mode so the steering wheel doesn't lock.

Having said all of this, I re-ask my question if anyone has done it? Recommend it? Thinking someone here will know first hand or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
Honda says NO to recreational towing four down if it's an automatic. They started that with the '05 model year on everything but the CR-V and Fit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote