Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #29

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If you keep track of engine time you need to record that info as ET resets when you pull the IOC fuse. Also no mention of auxillary brake hookup.

ronnie

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #30
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Davidx,

That seems like a good checklist that you have developed. Perhaps you may want to consider a disconnect list as well - and make sure to include the re-insertion of the IOD fuse.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a spare "dumb" key made at the local hardware store. These dumb keys cost about $2 and lack the transponder for the key to start/run the Jeep. However, they are great for towing and getting your Jeep in this first key position. Wehn you are confident in your checklist(s), you can laminate them and attach them to the dumb key.

CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
Official iRV2 Sponsor

**** New Hood Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech LLC ***

Hi all,

After we introduced the gas strut kit to keep the tail gate from closing on you, many people asked if we could come up with a similar kit for the hood. We are proud to say that these hood strut kits are done and a limited supply are now available for immediate shipping.

In short, the kit provides two gas struts, detailed step by step instructions and all the hardware you need for mounting. Like our tail gate strut kit, ALL of the hardware is stainless steel including the brackets, ball mounts, washers, nyloc nuts, and even the screws. The kit has no mechanical advantage when the hood is closed and is NOT exerting an upward, opening force until you lift the hood the first couple of inches. After that, the struts take over and will raise/hold the hood in place of the factory prop rod.

With the quaility of the components, you should expect years of reliable service. Installation should take 30 minutes or less, and it is an easy do-it-yourself project.

You can order from the Cool Tech website.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #32

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Does it have an "IOD Module"?

Rnicfingrp
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't wait to see the pics of the gas hood strut. You beat me to it. Good job.
In regard to the IOD question. Gut instinct says no, you do not have one but if you will post a picture of your fuse box. we'll know for sure.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #34

Hey Kendall,

Here is a project for ya! I have been thinking about a remote switch to toggle the IOD fuse without opening the fuse box. Any ideas? I found an old link to one where a guy on a Jeep forum made a remote switch by installing a "blown" fuse, then running two wires from the fuse to a toggle switch. I been playing with that idea.......

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Sarge, I like that idea but I'd be uncomfortable without having a fuse somewhere in that circuit. As long as we are working up a cool mod, let's include the M1 fuse as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #36

Good idea Rick. Let's do this thing right!!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #37

Sounds like a great idea, but my son and I handle this simple task in a few minutes. I'd hate to take away his job!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I must admit. Pulling two fuses takes me about a minute or less and this project wouldn't be on the top of my gotta do list. I do think with a relay and a switch it could be a fun project.....one of these days.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #39

I have a 2008 Wrangler X Sahara and I used the cool tech harness. However, when I hook up the Jeep to the MH and apply the toad brakes (the M1 fuse in place) the MH brake lights go on. First question, will this pose a problem? Second question, if I pull the M1 fuse will this prevent the MH lights from going on and will this prevent any electrical problems?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The idea behind removing the M1 Fuse is simple.
If your motor home uses the same bulb for braking as it does for blinking and you are using the cooltech harness, the Jeep will interrupt the mh blinkers if the brakes are applied. Removing the M1 fuse, stops this from happening. No electrical problem will result.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #41

Ok, I am super educated on the wiring part of towing a JK. But now this is the problem I am having. I have an 07 sahara 4 door with the automatic trans. After I tow the jeep by the methods used about I cannot get the transfer case to shift back into gear. first would be 4H then 2H. Seems as if the transfer case gears setting into a spot that clash with sifting it back into gear. I hove only towed it twice now and both times I have ended up turning on the engine putting the trans in drive then neutral and waiting for a few seconds then try to shift the transfer case. what happens is not right. When the transfer case grabs it is hard on the equipment. What are you other JK owners doing about this? Are you having the issue at all?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same problem. I've read on a Jeep forum that others are also having this problem. There seems to be a dealer fix. I even have a hard time putting it in neutral sometimes.