Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
2007 CRV Electrical

I found other threads, but they didn't quite answer my questions.

In April we bought a new-to-us 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire, with the intent of full-timing by the end of summer. We're going to tow our 2007 Honda CRV. I've got the tow bar and base plate installed, and will be using a Bakemaster for brakes. I got the Roadmaster 154 universal wiring kit, a 4-wire 4-diode system. Both the MH and CRV have separate brakes and turn signals.

My question is what do I really need to hook up the lights?

Do I get a simple 7-wire to 4-wire adapter?
Do I absolutely *have* to buy an additional 2-diode system? (Where? I can't find those on amazon or etrailer)

I've read all kinds of 'this will work...' and 'you must get that...' I'm looking for function and economy, not top-dollar best-of-breed.

I'm so confused.

arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Had a thought this morning. I don't know if it's good or bad, so would appreciate comments.

When the Brakebuddy is in the CRV and it's inertial sensor says I pressed on the MH brake, it presses on the CRV's brake pedal, and thus the CRV's brake lights would come on as part of the car's inherent system. Wiring from the MH brake signal to the toad would therefore be redundant.

So, I'm wondering, can I just wire from the MH to running lights and turn signals only (i.e. a 4-wire) While this would ignore the brake lights from the MH, they'd still be activated by the Brakebuddy anyway.

Is this a workable / good approach?

arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all, what you need for lights is governed primarily by state laws, though the federal safety regs have some basics. That's part of the reason you get varying opinions.

Often you don't need lights on the vehicle itself if the coach lights are adequately visible while towing, but who wants to get into a debate with a LEO or court judge about that? Better to have lights active on the back of the towed vehicle and avoid any issue.

A 4-pin connector is all that is needed for stop/tail/turn EXCEPT maybe on cars that have separate stop & turn signal bulbs. If you want to use the car's own lights and they are separate, you need six wires instead of 4.

Probably the simplest way to get lights is a portable light kit, usually a magnetic mount. You can make a different mount if you like, or even set a light bar in the rear window if visibility is OK like that. Here is a basic one from Harbor Freight:

12 Volt Magnetic Towing Light Kit
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
My 2005 HondaCRV is hooked up using a DEMCO wire harness purchased from Rigid Hitch. The phone number is 877-895-1276. Ask for Burt then ask him about his million dollar bill. He suggested using this harness because it does not require you add ANYTHING to it. Also it is "Plug and Play. Even better is that no drilling of the plastic lenses is required and no removal of the lens assembly is required. I installed my harness in 30 minutes. Flawless, easy and works well.
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
I think this is the kit you need for separate tail and brake lights on both the RV and TOAD. I just in stalled kit 154 (four diodes) on a Subaru Outback and if you are installing yourself, adding two extra diodes is nothing.

Regarding brakes and brake lights, I had to install the Brake-Lite Relay available from Roadmaster. What does it do? In my Outback, the brake lights work without the key in the ignition. After the relay install they do not. It is supposed to eliminate the following situation. If I was driving down the road while pulling the TOAD and planned to turn left and activated my turn signal, both the RV and TOAD left signals would flash as normal. However, as I began braking for my turn and if the Brake Buddy pushed the brake pedal, the TOAD left turn signal would be overridden and would no longer flash. So the RV would signal turn and the TOAD would signal stop. The relay keeps both signals flashing. That is my understanding of the need for the Brake-Lite relay.

Presumably, with separate brake and tail lights on both the RV and the TOAD, you might not need the Brake-Lite Relay. The install on the Subaru was a beast. Very inaccessible.

Good luck.

Bob M.
braymil is offline   Reply With Quote