Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

2007 hhr

Anyone towing a HHR behind their MH?
I just bought one for towing and looking for tow bar/base plate setups that work well? I found a Blue OX tow bar used for $300 but still need a Blue Ox plate.
I haven't purchased anything yet.
Other than pulling the fuse ... #8 I think, and turning the ignition to the "off" but not locked position is there anything else I need to do to this thing before towing 4 down?

Thanks for any input you may provide
Roy B.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog
I just bought one for towing and looking for tow bar/base plate setups that work well? I found a Blue OX tow bar used for $300 but still need a Blue Ox plate.
Other than pulling the fuse ... #8 I think, and turning the ignition to the "off" but not locked position is there anything else I need to do to this thing before towing 4 down?

Roy B.
We tow one and have the Blue Ox set up. You need to put the trans in neutral , turn the key to on ( not start ). I
Put in a switch instead of pulling the fuse all the time. Let me know if you need any info on that switch.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We tow one and have the Blue Ox set up. You need to put the trans in neutral , turn the key to on ( not start ). I
Put in a switch instead of pulling the fuse all the time. Let me know if you need any info on that switch.
Yes please!
Any info will be a step in the right direction....
I do not have the owners manual for the HHR so if you can confirm the fuse number and info on the switch setup that would be great.....

Thanks again

Roy B.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog

Yes please!
Any info will be a step in the right direction....
I do not have the owners manual for the HHR so if you can confirm the fuse number and info on the switch setup that would be great.....

Thanks again

Roy B.
It is #8 and here is a link to where I purchased the switch. http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/rvi...h/rvswitch.php

Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Road Dog. I tow a 09 HHR and I agree it makes it easier to setup to tow if you install a fuse switch. This is the best toad I have ever had.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
One clarification on key position. The key position is 'off', but not 'lock'. Easiest way to verify the correct position is after you're hooked up, with key 'on', move transmission selector to neutral, and then turn key 'off'. It won't allow you to go too far, but is the correct position for towing.

I also use a fuse switch to turn off fuse #8. Easy.

The HHR is a dream to tow compared to some of the newer model toads which require you to run the engine, shift thru the gears every 4-8 hrs, etc. Not necessary with the HHR. Been towing it for 5 years and no problems.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman

One clarification on key position. The key position is 'off', but not 'lock'. Easiest way to verify the correct position is after you're hooked up, with key 'on', move transmission selector to neutral, and then turn key 'off'. It won't allow you to go too far, but is the correct position for towing.

I also use a fuse switch to turn off fuse #8. Easy.

The HHR is a dream to tow compared to some of the newer model toads which require you to run the engine, shift thru the gears every 4-8 hrs, etc. Not necessary with the HHR. Been towing it for 5 years and no problems.
Your key position explanation confuses me. Here is a page from the manual which says to put key in ACC position which in my opinion is the " on " position. You cannot tow in the " off " position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-479589396.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	20121

Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post

Roy B.
You should have a brake system for the toad, this is required in some states. I use one by US Gear, some use one by SMI. These are installed in the toad and are not removed when the toad is driven. There are others that fit between the drivers seat and the brake pedal and I think there is one that fits on the towbar. You also need to connect into the toad lights or install aux lights on the toad. Do a search on this site for toad brakes and toad lights. There is a ton of information. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

I have owned 2 gasser motorhomes, 1st was a 34ft, a 36 ft, and a 36 ft 5th wheel towed with an 05 Dodge diesel dually. A 40 ft diesel w 2/slideouts and have always towed a Jeep Wrangler. I messed up and Sold my Jeep (why I don't know) guy asked me how much, I gave him a price and he worte me a check. PS (if you don't want to sell don't price it..) anyway now I have a 24 ft Born Free and the 07 HHR so far so good. Just now getting it setup for tow. Before I used the Ready Brake system, worked great, never a problem, easy install and setup.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Your key position explanation confuses me. Here is a page from the manual which says to put key in ACC position which in my opinion is the " on " position. You cannot tow in the " off " position.

Attachment 20121
Cliff, I just went out to check the key positions on the car. We may have a terminology issue in our discussion. Here's what I see:

Lock position - key can be removed
Off position - key cannot be removed, but car is off, other than accessories
Run position - This is the position the key is in when the car is running
Start position - starts the car

The manual may be describing what I'm calling the 'off' position as something else. I didn't check the maual, but this is the correct position for the key when towing. Most of the car accessories are off in this position, with the exception of a couple accessories, such as the radio. Thus the reason for pulling Fuse #8.

Other than the debate on what the towing key position is called, I have found the easiest process is to have the car transmission in neutral, with the key in the RUN (or ON) position, and then turn the key as far back as it will go, which turns off the engine. It will not let you put it in the 'LOCK' position with the transmission in neutral. Failsafe for me.

Last check is to make sure the steering wheel is not locked, and the transmission is in neutral (and Fuse #8 switch off). You're good to go.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman

Cliff, I just went out to check the key positions on the car. We may have a terminology issue in our discussion. Here's what I see:

Lock position - key can be removed
Off position - key cannot be removed, but car is off, other than accessories
Run position - This is the position the key is in when the car is running
Start position - starts the car

The manual may be describing what I'm calling the 'off' position as something else. I didn't check the maual, but this is the correct position for the key when towing. Most of the car accessories are off in this position, with the exception of a couple accessories, such as the radio. Thus the reason for pulling Fuse #8.

Other than the debate on what the towing key position is called, I have found the easiest process is to have the car transmission switched to neutral with the key in the RUN (or ON) position, and then turn the key as far back as it will go. It will not let you put it in the 'LOCK' position with the transmission in neutral. Failsafe for me.
Don. I think we're both in the same pew. The first clockwise position from lock is good no matter how you get there.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #12

Well the way I see it.... if I may...Is the ignition must be in the on/acc but not on/run or start position thus the reason for pulling the fuse.....

..................off/lock - on/acc - on/run - start.......

for easy to understand lets call em 1----- 2------ 3 ----- 4

I'm thinking 2 ???? yes no maybe???
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
Well the way I see it.... if I may...Is the ignition must be in the on/acc but not on/run or start position thus the reason for pulling the fuse.....

..................off/lock - on/acc - on/run - start.......

for easy to understand lets call em 1----- 2------ 3 ----- 4

I'm thinking 2 ???? yes no maybe???
Yes

Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
And make sure the parking brake is OFF. DW set up the toad one time and as I put the MH in gear I casualy asked her if the toad was set. She replied yes, "key on, shift in neutral, switch on and PARKING BRAKE ON". I put the MH back in park and CALMLY asked is the parking brake up or down. SHE REPLIED "I PULLED IT UP, isn't that what you'r supposed to do."