Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just purchased a 2007 Honda CR-V 4x4 automatic in the EX trim level.

We also own a 2006 CR-V SE 4x4 automatic. The SE is the top of the line for 2006 with leather, etc. This SUV is the wife's daily driver and also use it as a dinghy.

Only complaints on the 2006 model:
No power seat, inferior radio, smallish gas tank (probably not as small as it seems - there are 3 gallons left when the gauge displays empty). We love the car so much we bought a 2007!

Now for my first take on the 2007 model.
I chose the "royal blue" exterior and black cloth interior.

Negatives as I see it:
The new front-end is more rounded and it a little difficult to see the front corners.
The fuel gauge is an LCD and not a dial and harder to read.
There is no rear opening glass.

Positives:

Styling - more rounded and still easy to see out the side windows.
Liftgate - no more side swing-out gate.
Spare tire under the floor and not on the tailgate. (no more picnic table - we didnt use it anyway).
Smoother transmission.
Smoother brakes.
Quieter interior.
Better mileage - according to EPA?
Better horsepower - according to Honda - up 10 hp.
More comfortable seats and adjustable up and down.
Telescoping steering wheel.
Trip/Mileage Computer.
Auto locking doors.
Parking brake on floor and not on dash.
Much improved Stereo. Larger display numerals.
Sunroof controls moved to the ceiling.
Much improved heating/cooling controls.
Standard cargo cover and shelf. (on EX model)
Wide swing-out rear doors.
Folding rear center armrest.
Front door cupholders.
Additional glove compartment.
Wider interior.
Pricing fairly comparable to 2006

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just purchased a 2007 Honda CR-V 4x4 automatic in the EX trim level.

We also own a 2006 CR-V SE 4x4 automatic. The SE is the top of the line for 2006 with leather, etc. This SUV is the wife's daily driver and also use it as a dinghy.

Only complaints on the 2006 model:
No power seat, inferior radio, smallish gas tank (probably not as small as it seems - there are 3 gallons left when the gauge displays empty). We love the car so much we bought a 2007!

Now for my first take on the 2007 model.
I chose the "royal blue" exterior and black cloth interior.

Negatives as I see it:
The new front-end is more rounded and it a little difficult to see the front corners.
The fuel gauge is an LCD and not a dial and harder to read.
There is no rear opening glass.

Positives:

Styling - more rounded and still easy to see out the side windows.
Liftgate - no more side swing-out gate.
Spare tire under the floor and not on the tailgate. (no more picnic table - we didnt use it anyway).
Smoother transmission.
Smoother brakes.
Quieter interior.
Better mileage - according to EPA?
Better horsepower - according to Honda - up 10 hp.
More comfortable seats and adjustable up and down.
Telescoping steering wheel.
Trip/Mileage Computer.
Auto locking doors.
Parking brake on floor and not on dash.
Much improved Stereo. Larger display numerals.
Sunroof controls moved to the ceiling.
Much improved heating/cooling controls.
Standard cargo cover and shelf. (on EX model)
Wide swing-out rear doors.
Folding rear center armrest.
Front door cupholders.
Additional glove compartment.
Wider interior.
Pricing fairly comparable to 2006

Old 10-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
cwg

Having a Honda Pilot, I enjoy towing Honda products, but as most are aware, the transmissions are changed and the CRV is the only towable ( 4 wheels down ) now. Your post is informative as I had seen the new design of your model at the local dealer when in for service of the Pilot, but I would like to hear your impression of whether there is more or less overall cargo space in the new model.
Many of my friends carry bicycles in the tow and with the Element out as a tow vehicle, they are looking for an alternative.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interior Cargo Capacity:

2006 - 72 cf
2007 - 72.9 cf

There is underfloor storage in the 2006 and a little in the 2007. I dont know if that area is included in the specs or not.

If I were going to haul bicycles - I would attach a rack to the optional trailer hitch.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
cwg

I agree on the bike rack, and some of us rood roof mounted racks, or as you say, the trailer hitch rack. It is just nice to be able to transport high end bicycles out of the road spray, and also for the extra security of being enclosed.

Thank you for the interior space figures.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #6

We have towed our 2001 CR-V for more than 35K and driven it another 100K. Just about to have the timimg belt and water pump replaced, as the oil analysis folks say that it should be good for another 100K. We are very happy with ours.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #7

FlashG,

I am interested in getting a 2007 Honda CRV as a toad. However, it does not seem that installing a baseplate will be as easy as with a 2006 because of the different front end design. Can I have your comments on this installation and a picture of the finished product if you have one?
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This thread suggests that a 2007 CRV is not towable, at least not officially. Does anyone have any official Honda info on the 07 CRV, e.g. towing instructions in the Owner Manual? Or lack thereof?

Many people will be asking about Honda towing in the comming year and it would be nice to have some facts instead of conjecture.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A recent post in the Honda Towables discussion confirms from the CRV owners manual that a 2007 CRV is still OK'ed for 4-down towing.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love our '04 CR-V. We have towed it more than 25,000 miles to 43 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Honda would be making a big mistake if they decided not to continue to sell towables.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #11

One additional negative you may learn about over time...painted front end is going to chip more and show more road debris damage than the good old-fashioned black front bumpers.
But, CRV's are great toads.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:27 AM   #12

Regarding bike racks. I was considering a hitch mounted two-bike rack for our 2005 CRV and was concerned that it would not clear the spare tire. Has anyone checked this out?

Hack
--//--
Old 11-30-2006, 03:25 AM   #13

On our '05 CRV we use a Thule 2-bike carrier, 2 inch receiver mounted, and it clears the spare tire by a couple of inches. The hatch glass clears the rack; by pulling a pin the rack will fold far enough away that rear door can be partially opened. If needed, you could also use a receiver extension...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be careful with receiver extensions. They de-rate the receiver capacity by roughly 30% per 6 inches. This is of particular concern for vehicles with unibody designs and light duty receivers.

For example, the 2007 CRV has a 1500lb towing capacity, which equates to a 150lb tongue weight capacity. De-rating this by 30% with a 6" extension, leaves only 100lb. Not much left for a bike rack and couple of bikes.

As to why the extension de-rates the receiver. The receiver rating assumes that the load point is going to be a few inches from the hitch opening. Therefore as the load (trailer tongue, or bike rack) bounces up and down, the lever arm that is twisting the receiver, and thus the mount points, is rather short. My observations seem to put the load point (the ball) at about 6" from the receiver. The is a lever on the receiver. Adding a bike rake with a long reciever tube or a receiver extension, makes the lever even longer. If you have ever traveled behind someone with a bike rack loaded with 4 bikes and seen this thing bouncing up and down, wow.

I am not saying don't use bike racks or hitch extensions, but be aware they put additional stress on the receiver that is not present when towing a 1500lb trailer with the CRV.

One way to evaluate whether there is a problem, after the fact is to inspect your reciever periodically. If the receiver to body mount becomes loose, the receiver has been over-taxed. Look for changes in the angle of the receiver tube. When first installed it should be parallel to the ground. If it changes and points upward or downward, the mount points are bending.....NOT GOOD.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote