Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #29

2010 wrangler sport here ,, hardly been off road , purchased new , 50 000 klms on clock ,, used mostly for towing work trailer,, first ever "death " wobble experience recently ,, no confidence in it now , been to dealer , called chrysler ,, both say no evidence of a problem .. off to the lawyers now ,, this car is stupidly dangerous.
Oh ,, contacted one lawyer,, was told if I have an accident when this occurs,, I'll be held liable ...... the mind boggles....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #30

This summer I had the something happen on my corvette. I pulled the front tires off and the right front tie rods were shot. Not saying this is the problem but it would definitely be the first thing I would check. Before you pull the front tires off make sure you check thwm to see if there is any "play" in the wheel. If there is you have narrowed it down to only a couple of problems.One thing to remember...all of these parts are junk anymore. The majority of them are now sealed so you can't even lubricate much anymore. I am prone to being biased when it comes to Chrysler ..but my Ram 1500 with only 40,000 miles on it just received a new left front wheel bearing. So anything is possible no matter what you drive.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #31

Think I'm starting to catch on to the new age motoring,,, was going to ditch the car ,, but on second look ,, it's way cheaper to keep it , and do the upgrades.
So. I'm learning , so thanks for the info ,,,every bit helps .
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have lift Kit installed or any changes in stock suspension? You can get all the information you need for your Jeep here. Great forum.

JK Wrangler Technical Forum - JeepForum.com
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #33
JDT

My son had the wobble in his stock 08 4 door Wrangler. Several trips to the Jeep dealer did no good. He solved the problem by trading it for a new Toyota FJ.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrone View Post
2010 wrangler sport here ,, hardly been off road , purchased new , 50 000 klms on clock ,, used mostly for towing work trailer,, first ever "death " wobble experience recently ,, no confidence in it now , been to dealer , called chrysler ,, both say no evidence of a problem .. off to the lawyers now ,, this car is stupidly dangerous.
Oh ,, contacted one lawyer,, was told if I have an accident when this occurs,, I'll be held liable ...... the mind boggles....
Hey Barrone,

Try www.wranglerforum.com for answers. Could be one item or several combinded to cause DW.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #35

Car is stock except for ARB bar to save me when I hit a tree ,,, thanks for the info
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #36

[QUOTE=JDT;1011919]My son had the wobble in his stock 08 4 door Wrangler. Several trips to the Jeep dealer did no good. He solved the problem by trading it for a new Toyota FJ.[/QUOTE

Methinks your son might be a very wise man
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrone View Post
Car is stock except for ARB bar to save me when I hit a tree ,,, thanks for the info
I pulled this information off of the Jeep Technical Forum.

Well guys after about 5 months of searching for answers for Death Wobble I think (time will tell if it comes back) I have found some answers. This information is MAINLY for LIFTED Jeeps, but I will add some more information for all the stock guys with death wobble too.

The Reason:

I found some Jeep enthusiasts here locally that had done a lot of coil spring conversions on Wranglers and on Cherokees. They said they have had Death Wobble on the Cherokees almost every time they did a coil spring conversion. The reason they discovered for the Death Wobble is that the drag link on Wranglers comes from the pitman arm down to the left front hub and then from the left front hub straight over to the right front hub. This is a strong link geometrically. Unfortunately on the Grand Cherokee's and Cherokee's they used a different link system... the drag link drops from the pitman arm straight down to the front left hub, but instead of the second arm attaching at the left hub and going to the right hub they attached the second arm in the middle of the first arm so you have this triangular type figure created. The problem with this setup is when you start lifting the Jeep with a Budget Boost the front axle is pushed down and since the trailing arms arent replaced the axle is actually pushed backwards. This change to the axle position changes the geometry of the actual steering setup and starts allowing for more and more play. This is why it seems that GC's with budget boosts are more susceptible to DW. This is also the reason why guys with taller lifts will many times never see DW on their Jeeps. If you get taller lifts that come with drop pitman arms then many times you wont have DW because you have returned the geometry on the drag link back to an angle that will not allow for very much play in the steering.

Other reasons that DW can be formed are:

The Steering Stabilizer is shot and causes the steering not to be tight enough

The Track Bar is bent which allows for a little bit of movement in the axle

The tires are warped or the alignment is messed up

There are some bushings on the front end somewhere that is allowing for some play.

**The things listed above can happen with or without lifting the vehicle. **

Now for some Solutions:

Everyone should start with the steering stabilizer I would say. It is only around $60 bucks for a good one from Rancho or Old Man Emu. If that does not cure the problem then I would IMMEDIATELY go to an Offroad Equipment shop. Walk into the shop and point at your vehicle and say Death Wobble. If they start laughing and know exactly what you mean then you are at the right place if they look confused and don't have a clue then you are in the wrong place. Once you find a shop that knows what Death Wobble is then you need to talk to them and they will tell you a lot of what I have told you here. Then ask them where they have taken their trucks to get aligned after they are lifted. Most alignment shops don't have a clue except for "factory specs"... if you can find a shop that knows how suspension really works then they know all the tricks for maxing out every centimeter to get your vehicle fully aligned. Normally the alignment shops that do the alignments for offroad shops will know exactly what DW is and be able to check everything for you. Many times... find the problem.

Now as far as specifics go... if you have a 2" budget boost then you need to make sure they roll the caster back to around -6.00 to -9.00. Since your axle has been pushed down and slightly backwards then you need to get it pushed forwards at least as far as the factory position or even further forward. This should be possible with a 2" budget boost, but if you have something taller then you might need even more caster. Anyways... a good alignment shop should be able to tell this... a lot of "normal" alignment shops just try and move it back to the factory spec when you are going to need more than that to compensate for the lift.

Basically... if you have DW, it can be fixed. It is normally a combination of several of the things I mentioned. My particular problem was the Track Bar, Tires, and Alignment problems because of my budget boost. I did buy Kevin's Track Bar Conversion which was great and did add some stability, but was not my total solution in the end. I also bought a OME steering stabilizer which helped make the steering tighter but did not solve the problem either.

The key is to find a shop that knows suspension and knows what DW is. From there... you WILL find a solution.

Jeremy

P.S. I know it is long, but hopefully it helps. There might be more info from other people's experience to add here, but this is what I have discovered in my journey towards Death Wobble Recovery.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 04 Wrangler has a 2 inch budget lift and had a case of DW. I took it to Discount Tire and had the tires balanced. It had half inch wheel spacers and they removed them. Now no DW.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #39

Summary

From what I've read , it seems to be a pretty common problem,( bit of a shocker on the first experience though) , but with a bit of persistence , a few tools , and a few new parts , should be able to get it fixed.
And with the after market parts fitted, it should be a better car when finished ...
Had 2 XJs and never had this problem , but had to replace the head on one after 110000 klms ,, think the previous owner put acid in the radiator ...
But it went fine after that , traded it for the JK when it developed too many probs to be worthy of the effort.
First one died when it met a 6ft kangaroo in the early hours,,,,, but after 350000 klms ,, it was due for a rest.
Looking forward to having a bit more fun with this one !!!

Ahh , Jeeps ,, don't you love'em

Bit like sailing a boat on an ocean , can scare the **** out of you , but keep going back for more.

Thanks again for the info ,, cheers,
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersmom View Post
We are leaving for a trip tomorrow and just finished putting on our new blue ox towing system. Because so many of us tow jeeps has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I am afraid to tow this now.

Thanks in advance for any help
If your Jeep handled well before you made changes to tow, that is where I would examine first. From this hi-lighted statement, I understand that there was no handling problems before the base plate was installed? My base plate is mounted to the bolts that hold the steering box. I would suggest checking to make sure those 3 bolts are torqued properly. I cannot see the weight of the base plate making a difference.

I've added the Blue Ox base plate, brush guard, winch and winch mounting plate. All this must have added over a hundred pounds to the front end. Now my Jeep is not the best handling thing, but it does not do the 'death wobble' thing.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well i have never had the DW problem on my 99 Jeep wrangler, However I just bought a 06 wrangler that is completly stock and guess what at a steady 48-52 it had a littel shake that with a littel bump goes into full DW.
So first thing i looked at was tire pressure and balence. They were set at 22PSI ??? bumped them them to 36 psi and got a quality spin balence adn it was fixed 90%. I have a quite good stablizer laying around to replace the tinystock one. i installed it and now it very hard to get any DW no matter how hard you hit a pot hole ot patch in the road.

I did notice something on the trac bar of my old 01 Grand cherokee years ago.
It had a small harmonic dampner on the trac bar. All it was is a 2 half round pieces of steel clamped around the bear with a layer of rubber between the trac bar and the 2 sleeves.
93-04 Grand cherokees jave the same exact suspension (with a slightly differnt steering linkage than wranglers) and 84-01 cherokees have the exact same front suspension design as 97-06 wranglers.
I have made some "steel sleeves" and got some rubber hose to see if i can make a dampner.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Address

1. Loose or worn parts.

2. Tire problems

3. Lifts change the geometrics of the steering components.

4. Camber....you need it to keep the wobble away, steer straight down the road, & make steering wheel come back to center when released.

Think 'motorcycle'. Ok...now side view. See how front forks stick out away from the bike at an angle. That Angle is the camber on a vehicles front wheel.

Now imagine trying to ride a motorcycle with a tire that is mounted on a pair of forks that are straight up & down. Squirrelly as hell.

Death wobble (I've aligned too many to count).

I shall say no more.