Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #1

Anyone towing a 2007 Saturn Vue, and is it necessary to remove the ignition fuse before you tow it?

W22 Chassis and 8.1 Vortec
RVAITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Anyone towing a 2007 Saturn Vue, and is it necessary to remove the ignition fuse before you tow it?

W22 Chassis and 8.1 Vortec
RVAITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #3

Yes. Put the key in and turn to accessory setting, put transmission in nuetral. Then remove the 30 amp fuse for the accessories in the fuse box under the hood. In mine it is the lime green fuse but check the schematic for the correct location. I reinsert the fuse and start the vue ( and run it through the gears for a few minutes) every evening if we are towing it more than 1 day without using it also.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I considered leaving the fuse in since we usually travel around 4-5 hours at a time, and the current draw probably wouldn't be too great. When I observed the radio and On Star systems were "On" in the ACC position, I begain wondering what was on that I didn't observe, I pull the fuse. A fellow camper gave me a wiring diagram that FMCA published showing a relocated 30A fuse and an inline "On/Off" toggel switch located inside the car, elminating the need to remove the fuse. Winter project.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #5

We have installed a 30 amp bypass switch. See "Saturn VUE AWD Towing Procedure" on this thread, dated August 10, 2006 for installation details.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:38 AM   #6

we just bought a 07 and will have the last thing done Monday, the brake. we pulled a dolley thr last two years and finally said enough is enough and bought a Vue. the service tech said to pull the fuse, the only green one, to prevent the miles from adding up. so far we have spent just over $600 on the two plate and wiring and with the brake from CW Monday, we will spend another $950. We have the Roadmaster tow bar, dont have to but it!

ours the the red one. and dont buy one without a discount off sticker like we did.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:06 AM   #7

1. We have a 2006 Saturn Vue; do these steps mentioned above also apply to the 2006 with automatic tranny?

2. On tow bar: the used RV we bought (holiday rambler vacationer, 2002, vortec 8.1, 36 foot), came with the blue ox tow bar (but not the part that is bolted to the Saturn front); can someone suggest a good braking system for the 2006 Saturn Vue. On installing the brake system, can I do it myself...I am reasonably handy (an old 50s hotrodder).

Thanks, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
paz

Hemi-

You posted your question several places, so I'm not sure which is the best place to answer, but here goes.

Check your owners manual for full towing instructions for the 2006 Saturn Vue with 6 cylinder Honda engine/transaxle. You must run the transmission through the gears with the enging running then shift from DRIVE (never Reverse) to NEUTRAL and allow the engine to run 3 minutes. This must be repeated every 7 hours. Your manual will probably say to shift to Drive then to Neutral prior to allowing the engine to run 3 minutes. I believe running through the gears is part of a later service bulletin and may not be in the manual. Shut off the engine, leave the ignition switch in the ACC position and the transmission in neutral, and pull the 30 amp ignition fuse (I also installed a 30 amp bypass switch under the dash so I don't have to open the hood) and make sure the parking brake is off.

If you need a baseplate for your Blue Ox tow bar, check RVUpgrades (an excellent supplier and a sponsor of irv2.com). Also, since it is a used tow bar, check it for wear prior to use. Make sure the arms lock securely, release easily, and slide freely. Make sure the ends where the attachment pins go are not worn.

You will probably get many opinions on the brake system. There are 2 major types - those that are permanently installed in the toad and those that slip into place between the brake pedal and seat. Although I personally think those that are permanently installed are better, I chose to go with a model that slips into place, the Brake Pro by Roadmaster (this model has been replaced by the Even Brake). The reason I went with a slide in model is that I wasn't comfortable disrupting my toad's brake system to do the permanent installation. I also wanted the brake controller to be easily transferrable to another vehicle because I knew I would be replacing my original toad within a year.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #9

Thanks Paz...i posted several places because I kept finding threads on the subject.

Great instructions...I will try the accessories then to neutral when my wife comes back from shopping, hemi
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I reinsert the fuse and start the vue ( and run it through the gears for a few minutes) every evening if we are towing it more than 1 day without using it also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, you should do that procedure in the morning before you start out. The transmission fluid drains down in 7 to 8 hours whether the vehicle is moving or not. Your transmission is not properly lubed if it sets overnite before towing.

Glenn