Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #1

I just swapped my 2004 Colorado for a 2007 Tahoe (well, the 04 plus a "bit" of cash).

I've now got to get Blue Ox baseplates for the Tahoe and make a decision on lights. I had separate bulbs in the Colorado but have been wondering about mag lights for the Tahoe. I've also noted an interesting hitch mounted light bar put out by BlueOx link.

Has anyone obtained baseplates for an 07 Tahoe? If so, how long did installation take. BO says 1 hour but I've got quotes that imply they will be taking several hours - which doesn't jive.

Has anyone tried this new hitch mounted light bar yet?

Thanks

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #2

I just swapped my 2004 Colorado for a 2007 Tahoe (well, the 04 plus a "bit" of cash).

I've now got to get Blue Ox baseplates for the Tahoe and make a decision on lights. I had separate bulbs in the Colorado but have been wondering about mag lights for the Tahoe. I've also noted an interesting hitch mounted light bar put out by BlueOx link.

Has anyone obtained baseplates for an 07 Tahoe? If so, how long did installation take. BO says 1 hour but I've got quotes that imply they will be taking several hours - which doesn't jive.

Has anyone tried this new hitch mounted light bar yet?

Thanks

Don

Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
paz

One possibility is that the shops are basing their quote for installation on the BX1651 baseplate that fits the 2000 thru 2006 Tahoe. Blue Ox estimates 2 hr. for this baseplate as opposed to only 1 hour for the BX1668 used for the new '07. I installed a BX1651 on an '02 Silverado and it was definitely at least a 2 hr. job for a do-it-yourselfer without a lift and without a helper. The new baseplate looks like it is 2 smaller assemblies that replace the tow hooks instead on one big, unwieldy, heavy assembly with non-removeable tabs that have to be maneuvered into position.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks Paz.

There is no cross support for the 2007 since the frame is supposed to be really strong and it is not needed.

Have now had a quote of $100 which is more in line with what one would expect.

Don
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Good choice in toads. I dumped my '06 Canyon and bought an '06 Sierra 1500 crew cab. I couldn't be happier! I stayed with the dedicated light sockets. My base plate went on like a champ. Good luck!
909dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 909dude:
Good choice in toads. I dumped my '06 Canyon and bought an '06 Sierra 1500 crew cab. I couldn't be happier! I stayed with the dedicated light sockets. My base plate went on like a champ. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess you weren't very happy with the Canyon. The Colorado did have some good features but it is only 68 inches wide and the transmission creates a real problem - right leg cannot go straight forward and now I have a damaged knee. Just sore as can be. After a half hour on the road the pain was terrible. Tahoe is outstanding other than fuel consumption. On the highway back north for Xmas we got a sold 25 mpg with the Colorado. Tahoe on the return trip to FLA got 18 to 19 and is getting 14.5 in the city.

Don
Old 01-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #7

Just ordered baseplates from Roadmaster for my 2007 Suburban LTZ. I was told that installationis would be 2 hours. What are you using for toad brake? I need to decide if I should reinstall my SMI silent partner system or upgrade to a system that works off of the MH air brake system. If I do this, I need to install an aux air system on the MH, according to Spartan.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #8

BlueOx says 1 hour and when you read the instuctions (good PDF download) it sure does look quick and easy.

I'm going to keep using my Brake Buddy. It worked well with the Colorado and should be fine for the Tahoe. Weight is 1200 lbs more but as a percentage of the MH weight that is not a lot.

Use will be easier with the adjustable pedals and more movement in the power seat.

I stewed over a Suburban vs Tahoe for a while but felt the extra 20 inches was more length than I wanted behind the Ambassador (40 ft 10 inches). The extra storage room in the back would sure be nice though.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
My Canyon had so many problems, mainly the a/c would not work and GM couldn't fix it. Consumer Reports beat them up pretty good. I wish I would have read it before I purchased it. Good luck with the install and your new toad.
909dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #10

I am doing a 07 2500 which if the holes line dup and the planets aligned, it would be an hour, but i have to do a little reaming, they don't line up perfect, so far I have 1/2 hour in, so I will keep you posted, I removed our lights from our 04 Yukon and have remounted them already inside the 2500 lights, just have to string the wire now...
Old 01-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #11

Ok i'm done took me another hour to finish it, just have the breakaway switch to mount now