Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the steering is locked when the key is OFF...Is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! On mine it is the same way. The key has to be on. Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

ON the '06 Wrangler you turn the key one click,which is the click before the dash lights up...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #17

When you first place the key in the ignition you turn it one position forward. This is where you want it. Moving it one position forward leaves the steering wheel unlocked but no dash lights on. When moved two positions forward, dash will light and heater fan, etc. will come on. Again, move one position and you will see steering will stay unlocked no matter how much you move the steering wheel.....and also nothing is turned on. Your odometer will not function.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #18

For those with "chipped" security keys, you can have a locksmith (cost $3.00-5.00+) cut you a key using a non chipped key blank. Use this unchipped key in your ignition when towing and the vehicle will not run when attempts are made to start and keep running using this non chipped key. For those with no security feature on your Wrangler you can have a kill switch wired into the vehicle if you really have concerns. Personally, I find no problem leaving a key in the ignition. I mean the Wrangler is fastened to the RV with key lock bolts. Its not going to be taken easily. Of course I remove the key when the vehicle is unattended.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #19

Your battery will have no ill affects and will not be drained unless you have auxiliary braking plugged into the Wrangler. Many run a 12v power line from the RV to the toad/Wrangler to power the auxiliary braking system.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #20

The info in this thread that I have posted pertained to older Wrangler TJ's and not necessarily the '07 Wrangler JK's. I am not 100% sure at this point in time in regard to key position, etc. when towing an '07 Wrangler.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the steering is locked when the key is OFF...Is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! On mine it is the same way. The key has to be on. Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, does your odometer accumulates towing miles?
Did you experience battery problems after towing for many hours with the key to ACC?

My JK is also automatic and the steering wheels locks when the key is OFF, different from what the owners manual states. I should have my Wrangler ready for towing in February!

Quebec, Canada
Kstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi, does your odometer accumulates towing miles?
Did you experience battery problems after towing for many hours with the key to ACC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! On our 07 Wrangler with the key on in the first position (thats when the steering wheel unlocks) the odometer part of the dash stays on (the idiot lights come on in the next key position) the radio will work, the heater fan will not. With that said, the odometer does not rack up miles. I cannot answer the question about the battery as our dealer wired a 12 Volt feed from the motor home to provide a trickle charge to the toad while towing. Paul