Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2008 2WD Ford Escape flat towing

We just got back from our first trip towing 2008 Ford Escape with a car dolly. I did not like towing for car dolly, had to stop every 100 miles or so tightening up the straps. It nerve racking trip. I am considering changing over to tow-bar. I been reading on flat towing escape, seen a few posting on problems with transmission. Need help, what is the best way to do this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Ford just replaced transmission number 4 in my 2009 with 54000 miles, maybe towing 2500 miles at a most. Followed all Ford rules, and no help. Next up TRADING. Some people report no problems, but not me. Hope you have a extended warranty. Good Luck.

beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay25 View Post
Ford just replaced transmission number 4 in my 2009 with 54000 miles, maybe towing 2500 miles at a most. Followed all Ford rules, and no help. Next up TRADING. Some people report no problems, but not me. Hope you have a extended warranty. Good Luck.
I've also been looking for a used F150 - 2009 variety; 2wd. Did you do the conversion with a replacement shaft from: Southwest Drivelines (Remco driveshaft disconnect | Convert aluminum drivelines to Remco) or David at Drive Shaft King (800-442-6329).
I've talked to David several times. Super knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

If not, how did you prep for the 4-down towing???
Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
We just got back from our first trip towing 2008 Ford Escape with a car dolly. I did not like towing for car dolly, had to stop every 100 miles or so tightening up the straps. It nerve racking trip. I am considering changing over to tow-bar. I been reading on flat towing escape, seen a few posting on problems with transmission. Need help, what is the best way to do this?
The 2008 Escape with the CD4E transmission cannot be flat towed. It must be towed either on a tow dolly with 4x2 models or on a trailer. Remco may offer a lube pump kit for them but I have no idea if that will work with this transmission.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
Short answer is "NO" it cannot be flat towed, having said that, I flat tow my 2007 Mercury Mariner (Escape Twin) every time the Motor Home heads out. All I do is put it in neutral and leave the motor running, it uses about 1 gallon of gas every 80 miles. It does add miles to the odometer but it makes no difference to me. I could put a lube pump on it but I can buy a lot of gas for the cost of it and installation. I do check the car every time we stop, I do plan sometime to put a warning light in the MH connected to the toad to let me know if the engine cuts off, but short of having a catastrophic engine failure or running out of gas, Escapes almost never have problems.

Tags
ford, towing