Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

2008 Chevy HHR towing Procedure

Just got hooked up with a Falcon Roadmaster tow bar and now am wondering the procedure those who tow an automatic HHR follow. Just put in nuetral, turn switch to acc (not off) until idiot lights go out, check steering that it is not locking and go? How do you lock vehicle with key still in ignition..manually with another key? New to all this so sorry if the question is stupid!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

The answers to your questions are in your HHR owners manual... Not to be smart aleck... but the manual describes the proper procedure very clearly...

I lock my HHR with another key.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull fuse # 8. I put in a switch for this purpose. Do a search on HHR and you'll find info on this.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn switch to acc, make sure trans in neutral, remove fuse #8 (better install a fuse switch), lock door with second key and tow. No mileage limits, no playing with trans and running engine every so often. The fuse switch available from RVupgrades.com.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
Turn switch to acc, make sure trans in neutral, remove fuse #8 (better install a fuse switch), lock door with second key and tow. No mileage limits, no playing with trans and running engine every so often. The fuse switch available from RVupgrades.com.
We do all the above but lock with remote. To be sure fuse switch is off I listen for door chimes...no chimes switch is in the correct position. Get out off car, close door and use remote to lock.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
It appears that you got all the answers and they are correct. I tow a 2006 HHR and follow the guidelines in the owners manual. I would recommend that you get a switch for the #8 fuse. I have dropped and lost about 3 fuses when trying to re-insert them back in. They go somewhere down in the maze of wires and heater stuff. Trust me, get the switch. I also had the problem of the assisted braking unit in the HHR notifying me that I had a weak battery, even after replacing the old battery to a brand new battery. Once I put a charge wire from the coach to the HHR I no longer have that problem.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430
It appears that you got all the answers and they are correct. I tow a 2006 HHR and follow the guidelines in the owners manual. I would recommend that you get a switch for the #8 fuse. I have dropped and lost about 3 fuses when trying to re-insert them back in. They go somewhere down in the maze of wires and heater stuff. Trust me, get the switch. I also had the problem of the assisted braking unit in the HHR notifying me that I had a weak battery, even after replacing the old battery to a brand new battery. Once I put a charge wire from the coach to the HHR I no longer have that problem.
What assisted brake system do you have? I have the SMI Stay n Play duo and don't have any battery issues.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the blue ox tow bar and have wiring harness with diaodes installed for the lights. I also use the appolo brake buddy. The #8 fuse is located on the passenger side of the console. I installed a small fused rocker switch. Just blow the fuse then solder the switch wires to the blown fuse,then plug in. It is a fairly easy fix. With the fuse switched off you will not be able to remove the ignition key (even in park). Just put in netural, flip the switch set up brake buddy. lock with extra remote or key, thats it.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #9

All the above advice is spot-on. I too have a fuse switch. Love it. I currently use a Roadmaster Even Brake-in-a-box, and never had a battery problem. It has recently died, and I will be installing a SMI Air Force One braking system in the spring.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #10

What is the reason for the 65mph maximum tow speed? Insufficient lubrication above that speed? It seems at 65mph you will be holding up traffic on some roads. Do I dare go 70????
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
All of the above is spot on. Also make sure everything is turned off. We left the dash fan on and the battery died. Also instead of blowing the fuse I got a spare and drilled it out to make my switch.
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I normally tow at 62 mph that seems to be the comfort zone for me and the MH. Having said that I have exceeded the 65 mph limit, mostly in the steep incline areas. Maybe 5-10 miles without any noticible problems. When I stop for a break(about every 3hrs) I start the HHR and while idling I put it in drive while holding the brake. In my mind I feel it moves the trans fluid thru the trans thus lubricating. I really have nothing to base this on. It just makes sense to me. The 08 HHR does have a drivetrain 100,000 mile warranty, not sure if towing has any effect on the warranty. I will be calling to find out!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by win35p View Post
What is the reason for the 65mph maximum tow speed? Insufficient lubrication above that speed? It seems at 65mph you will be holding up traffic on some roads. Do I dare go 70????
There's a reason the manufacturer specifies not to exceed a specific MPH. The issue becomes heat transfer from the heat generated by the transmission while being towed.

Towable transmissions have baffles in them to splash around the transmission fluid while the transmission is being towed to keep them lubricated, but no operating fluid pump to cool the transmission.

The probem has become heat dissipation in some of the newer cars, specifically the Chevy Cruze w/ 6-speed tranny, and also the Ford Escape with 6-speed tranny. Both have had reports of the transmission being severely damaged while towing - primarily from heat buildup, as I read the posts in this forum and others.

Chevy has since removed the 4-down towable approval for the Cruze. Ford Escapes are still approved for 4-down towing, by following the appropriate TSB from Ford to lower the transmission fluid while towing.

I have never read of a transmission issue in an HHR due to 4-down towing, but I for one will be sure to observe the 65 mph limit for towing on my HHR.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing