Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I choked on the installation price for the baseplate, plus the fact that the shop couldn't get one for at least 3 weeks. Ordered one and it was on my driveway 3 days later. I looked at it and said, "I can do this!"
I also was installing a ReadyBrake cable on the firewall from underneath, when I dropped my 1/2 inch box wrench right down the frame channel where it lives to this day and rattles on rough roads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, glad I'm not the only one to lose something down the frame rail while installing. Mine happened during the baseplate and it was a critical bolt. I couldn't let it stay there as I needed it, so I fished and concocted tools for an hour or so b/f getting to it.

I didn't necessarily choose to do the install myself because of price, it was more time and convenience. Delivery time was 3 days as mentioned. and by the time I took it to the dealer, got a ride back, picked it up and drove back home, I could have installed it myself. Or so I thought.

Looking back, I should have had it installed. The 90 degree drill I had to buy, cut up hands, sore back, plus my daughter unintentionally hearing a blue streak would have covered the labor and drive time.

I do have to say that Blue Ox's instructions and support were great.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #30

Bob, There are 2 brake light wires coming from the brake switch on the brake petal in the HHR. I had to tap one of them for my brake system (Evenbrake). As it turns out, the 2 tail light brake lights light up from the coach when the coach brakes are applied, and the center brake light illuminates when the Evenbrake actuates the brake petal.

I like this setup, as I now have a visual signal (at the rear of the HHR) telling me whether the Evenbrake is dragging the brakes or not. I make this part of my setup check every time!

Do you know where they tapped your running lights to make all your marker lights light up? I ran my wires directly to the 2 tail lights, and only those light up. I would like the side markers to light up as well.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don "Pusherman"¯ Re: my 2008 HHR "toad wiring"¯.

Had the baseplate and the wiring installed Tuesday December 4, 2007.

The side marker lights on the HHR light up and also the front amber "parking"¯ lights (maybe they are the front running lights) and the license plate lights also light up when I turn on the motorhome headlight switch. When the HHR is plugged into the motorhome when towing. The upper brakelight in the center on the HHR does not light up when the brakes are applied.

My old toad the Pontiac Sunfire I believe only the tail lights would light up when towing. Pulled out the wiring instructions for the Sunfire and it shows that four diodes are required.

So I did some further checking and only two diodes were installed one on the left side and one on the right side. The wires enter the rear compartment through a hole drilled in the spare tire well. The green wire runs to the right tail light with a diode installed and the brown, yellow and white wires run to the left tail light and only one diode is installed on the yellow wire.

Obviously I am getting feedback because the lack of diodes installed. As said above the side marker lights on the HHR light up and also the front amber "parking"¯ lights (maybe they are the front running lights) and the license plate lights also light up when I turn on the motorhome headlight switch.

Also another problem is that the wires run under the vehicle and the installer let the wire just hang when crossing over the tailpipe (there is a metal shield attached to the tailpipe just slightly above the tailpipe) but the wires should not be touching the tailpipe at all.

Looking forward to some "feedback"¯ no pun intended.

Bob
Old 12-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don as you asked above, "Quote from Pusherman Do you know where they tapped your running lights to make all your marker lights light up? I ran my wires directly to the 2 tail lights, and only those light up. I would like the side markers to light up as well."¯

This must be because they only used the two diodes and just tapped into the brown taillight wire without a diode. This has me concerned about "feedback"¯ although I really do not understand what feedback is or what damage it could do to my HHR.

Don how many diodes did you use on your HHR?

Bob
Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #33

Bob, I had my prior TOAD wired by my service dealer, and they routed the wires underneath the car. I made them change the wiring routing thru the firewall, and thru the inside of the car. Problem is you will have all the elements working against you from the underside of the car.

Most wiring harnesses run thru the inside of the car.

Make them change it. You will find Blue Ox's directions are to do same -- run thru the inside of the car.

On my HHR I wired it myself (with the help of an RV mechanic friend) and we made sure to rout the wires inside the car.

I ended up using 4 diodes in the car -- 1 each for left/right stop/turn, and 1 each for left/right tail lights. Problem is that my marker lights do not illuminate. I would like to fix this.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
I swear nothing will ever beat installing seperate bulbs and sockets. Eliminating the cars entire electrical system is the only way to go

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all who replied to my posts and private messaging.

I was sure the RV service did it wrong just needed confirmation from others.

I guess, "if you want something done right you have to do it yourself."¯ Or at least look over their shoulder as work is being done.

They "Teed" the brown tail light wire from the motorhome into the HHR's taillight wire and the side marker, running lights and license plates lights I assume are just being backfeed because no diodes were used on the taillight wires.

I will give them the chance Monday to correct the problem or I will correct it myself.

A bulb kit was not used because it would not fit into the small tail light of the HHR.

Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #36

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bob, I installed the bulb and socket into my small HHR tail light

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Called Monday and explained the feedback problem to the owner of the RV service. Made a appointment for today Wednesday at 3:00 pm. Took the RV tech less than fifteen minutes to add the two taillight diodes with the jump wire from left to right.

He also added two wire tie straps to lift the 4 wires off and above the tailpipe. It works as it should, just the two taillights on the HHR light up, nothing else.

In conversation with the owner, while I waited, he remarked his tech was a long-term employee and he is "temperamental"¯. Also the owner seemed to have learned something new about "toad"¯ wiring that he was not aware of prior to my bringing it to his attention.

The tech insisted that he did it right, just like all the others he has done in the past and the previous customers were happy that the running and marker lights lit up. However he said he would do it according to the Roadmaster schematic if I insisted.

I understand problems with "temperamental"¯ employee's I worked with several over my 42 year career with the same company.

The RV techs in small companies have to be jack-of-all-trades and of course the rest of the story is master-of-none.

Bob

Pusherman, Don, I would not to have this tech do the work of rerouting the wires with his attitude he may mess up my interior. After my trip to Florida and when it is warmer next summer it will be on my list of things to do and I will reroute the wires myself.

Jestme13, Steve, I did not know the bulb kit would fit or that would have been a good option. Sorry to hear the news about National RV.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #38

Bob, glad you got your 'feedback' problem resolved. We (us HHR owners) still need to figure out how to light up our rear marker lamps. This summer I will try to work this issue and share with everyone. It may involve a new 'tap' point for the tail lights (with diode) or another solution, using additional diodes.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last two fill-ups 28.5mpg and 27.2mpg. We have a total of 1,200 miles on it.

The more I drive this little car the more I like it. Great car this HHR.

Looking forward to your solution to the side marker lights Don.

Bob
Old 12-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased my HHR new in March 2006. I mounted the base plate and did the wiring myself. Blue Ox recommended using the BX8847 wiring kit for Saturn's. I just followed Blue Ox's installation instructions and ran the wires through the firewall and under the back seat. Apparently the Saturn has all the wires on the driver's side but the HHR had a seperate wire loom running down both sides of the vehicle under the back seat. I tapped into the left brake yellow wire and the right brake aqua wire. The tail lights and turn signals were both brown on opposite sides. I used the three diode's included in the kit. With the motorhome lights off I just have the two brake lights. With the motorhome lights turned on I have all my running lights on the HHR, front parking lights and side markers all around. When my brake buddy activates it only lights the HHR's high mount brake light but you are of course on the motorhome brakes at the same time and the motorhome connection lights the HHR's other brake lights.
Also I have the 2.4 motor and have never used premium gas. With regular unleaded I average 28-32mpg on the road. Crusing Yellowstone NP for a week at 30-45mph it was getting 34mpg. I am extremely happy with my little HHR. If it wasn't for the backup camera I wouldn't even know it was back there.
BTW: On 6-6-06 I hit a black cat in front of a funeral home and did over $1700. damage. The plastic under the bumper panel pushed back into the a/c condenser and that pushed into the radiator making them both u-shaped. It was one hard headed black cat. I would hate to see what would happen with a deer or bigger!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #41

Do you need to pull a fuse, or install a remco oil pump on the trans. to tow 4- down on a 2008 Chevy HHR.
Johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #42

The HHR is towable 4-down as-is. No transmission pump required. Yes, you pull fuse #8 to tow (I installed a fuse switch -- works great!).

It's a great toad!

Here's a Link to another thread on towing a HHR.