Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #1

Okay...so we just purchased a 2008 Honda Element to use as a toad behind our 30' Winnebago. We've been reading all the advice and information we can get our hands on, including attending a seminar provided by Blue Ox. We've also observed and talked to customers at campgrounds using the systems and are confused as to the different braking system options. We plan on purchasing a Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX tow bar, but what advice can any of you offer on the braking system? The Honda Element will be my work vehicle (I work one mile from home, so not many miles will be put on!) as well as our tow vehicle for quite some time. we don't mind investing in a GOOD braking system.....but want one that is easy to apply when hitting the road. Thank you again!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #2

Okay...so we just purchased a 2008 Honda Element to use as a toad behind our 30' Winnebago. We've been reading all the advice and information we can get our hands on, including attending a seminar provided by Blue Ox. We've also observed and talked to customers at campgrounds using the systems and are confused as to the different braking system options. We plan on purchasing a Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX tow bar, but what advice can any of you offer on the braking system? The Honda Element will be my work vehicle (I work one mile from home, so not many miles will be put on!) as well as our tow vehicle for quite some time. we don't mind investing in a GOOD braking system.....but want one that is easy to apply when hitting the road. Thank you again!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #3

I was not aware the Honda Element was towable four wheels down. Elements were towable through 2005 and then Honda dropped it from their list. Does the owners manual for the Element have a section on towing behind a motorhome? I have towed two CR-Vs and both have a section explaining how to tow behind a motorhome.

As for braking I have used a Brake Buddy since 1999 and I have been very happy with it.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Bzzzy, Norm is right - although the Element is still towable 4 down (I believe), Honda does not warranty it for use as a towed. I believe the CRV is the only vehicle that Honda makes that they still say is towable 4 down. The CRV and Element are built on the same platform, but for some reason the CRV is the only one they allow to be towed.
By the way, I put the BlueOx baseplate on our Element myself. Not a hard job, but it looks scary when you take off the entire frontend with all the platic fenders lying on the ground.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda Fit 07 08 is also good to go four wheels down as per Honda