Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have just purchased a 2008 Jeep Liberty and am waiting for delivery (April 9th). It is the Limited model with the automatic transmission and the full time version of the 4WD. I forgot their name for it. I will be towing it behind my Journey.

Is the discussion of the IOD fuse in the Wrangler discussion the same for the 2008 Liberty?

Is there anything else that I should be aware of in towing the Liberty? I know that this is a redesigned vehicle for 2008, so I'm curious. I have been flat towing a 2003 PT Cruiser with a manual transmission for 5 years, so I'm familiar with towing a vehicle.

I will be using a Blue OX towbar and I plan on connecting the wiring into the tail lights with diode blocks instead of using a separate light.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

W8RLM - Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have just purchased a 2008 Jeep Liberty and am waiting for delivery (April 9th). It is the Limited model with the automatic transmission and the full time version of the 4WD. I forgot their name for it. I will be towing it behind my Journey.

Is the discussion of the IOD fuse in the Wrangler discussion the same for the 2008 Liberty?

Is there anything else that I should be aware of in towing the Liberty? I know that this is a redesigned vehicle for 2008, so I'm curious. I have been flat towing a 2003 PT Cruiser with a manual transmission for 5 years, so I'm familiar with towing a vehicle.

I will be using a Blue OX towbar and I plan on connecting the wiring into the tail lights with diode blocks instead of using a separate light.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #3

W8RLM - Bob,
I just purchased a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited. I am going to use a Roadmaster baseplate to tow. Look at your owners manual for Recreational towing setup. You don't need to leave your key in because it don't have a steering wheel lock. You go thru the setup and the very last thing is to disconnect your neg battery terminal. I use a brake buddy so I am going to wire a power outlet from brakebuddy direct to battery. Also there is a plug on the firewall next to the driver fender (look underhood) that you can run any wires as needed to the inside of vehicle. I will run the wiring for power outlet and breakaway switch. I purchased a battery disconnect:
http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A1720A0A0.aspx
Just unscrew to disconnect. Saves a lot of time.

You will find that your power outlet isn't hot with the key off?
Your transmission is probably the Command-Trac II.

Good luck
Retired Chrysler Engineer
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Rambler 1

Thanks for the information. I was reading the Wrangler information, and they talked about pulling a fuse that Chrysler had provided with a "handle" to facilitate the removal. Once pulled, they didn't have to disconnect the battery. Does that exist on the Liberty?

Thanks for the hint about the plug. I also have a Ham radio to install, and I want to wire directly to the battery, so that will make things alot easier.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
The fuse they talk about on the Wrangler does not exist or if it does, does not serve the same purpose on the Liberty.
I am going to put a disconnect switch on the negative battery cable.
I would also recommend installing the additional light in the tail light as opposed to the diode - reason is the amount of room and ability to get to the tail light wires. I have used the diodes in previous "toads" but on my Liberty I used the additional lights and it was much easier. Rambler1 is correct on the rubber plug - easy to get to.
I used the Roadmaster Tow Brackets - make sure and read all the directions - I read the Roadmaster, Demco and Blue Ox install instructions and found good information in all of them. Will be posting some pictures and a write up on my install - hopefully later this week.
Good luck - feel free to ask questions
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
jfb

On studying Jeep brochures, and on earlier posts, the full time transmission model's tranfer case can be put in neutral for towing by utilizing an electronic switch designed for that purpose. Should be covered in the owner's manual....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My 08 Liberty manual states that I have to have the key on ACC. Not true! Only the manual transmission model has a steering lock. To verify this, I parked on a gravel surface, took the key out, got out and locked the Jeep. Then I got back in and turned the steering wheel lock to lock with key still in my pocket. No steering wheel lock!

Is your Jeep equipped with an automatic or manual transmission? If a you have an automatic try what I did.

Page 18 of the 08 Jeep Liberty owner's manual states that the manual trans model has a steering wheel lock. When thay get to page 389, they forgot to differentiate between the auto and manual trans models, thereby stating that the key has to be in the "on' position.
I have been towing it with key out, and battery connected, since I purchased it in November.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #8

I'm just getting ready to set up my 08 Liberty for towing. I've read the owners paperwork that talks about disconnecting the negative cable from the battery as the last prep step. I didn't look too far to see if the IOD fuse disconnect was listed in the owners manual, but there is such a critter in the 08 Liberty.......works quickly by just pulling the white frame around the fuse. But I'm trying to determine if the IOD fuse works like pulling the cable off. Anybody know for sure?

I'm also looking to see if anyone has added another bulb to the tail light assembly, like with the Blue Ox wiring kit. I didn't really want to tap into the existing wiring with a diode, but looking at the light assembly looks like there is not a lot of room to stick in another bulb; the interior reflector is a cone with the OEM bulb at the center. Would you just drill out a spot somewhere on the sloped reflector wall, and install the socket and bulb there?

Thanks for any input.

Scott
2008 Allegro Bus 40QSH
2008 Jeep Liberty
Rileybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I added another bulb to mine (used Roadmaster, but probably the same). If you download the directions for installing the Blue Ox base plates, it shows in that where to put the "extra" bulb. Is on the side of the tail light on the inside, or "car" side of the light - same side the screws are on. Little bit of a tight fit, but it will work. I added some extra tape around the wires to help reduce any chaffing. I checked the bottom section, but it has red reflectors in it and there is not much light trasnmission.
Hope that helps.
edited for spelling
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone. I was supposed to get my new Liberty on April 9. By the way, it has an automatic transmission.

Then we found out that Chrysler had put a hold on the 4 wheel system ( the full time one - I forgot the name). The hold has been released, and now the ship date is April 21. Hope it goes this time.

I'll pull the fuse instead of disconnecting the battery. On short trips, it probably won't be necessary.

I have a Brake Buddy, so I'll wire it to the battery through a fused plug. I also have to install my Amateur Radio to the battery, so both of them will go through the plug that Jeep thoughtfully supplied.

Thanks again.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #11

W8RLM _ Bob or anyone
Question:
Has anyone installed a breakaway switch on a 2008 Jeep Liberty? If so where and how did you mount it? I use a brakebuddy and am looking for suggestions on where to install a breakaway switch. I have a roadmaster baseplate 521433-1.
any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am probably too late for this discussion since the originals were posetd in April, but I will try anyway. What is the reason behind removing the negative battery cable? That makes no sense to me - there is now no power for the tail lights, Brake Buddy, etc. In our '04 Grand Cherokee this was not called for.
When I had the Blue Ox tow plate installed, the technician added a cable to the battery that will charge it from the Coach, so the Brake Buddy will not draw from the Liberty battery. I moved the fuse to make the power outlet live full time.

I have no idea why Jeep would have us remove the negative cable. Two phone calls to their engineering department have proved futile.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
IIRC it has something to do with "if something happened, the vehicle would not go into gear (out of nuetral) by itself." I have towed mine for 4-500 miles and have not disconnected the battery. Believe that there are several that do not disconnect either. Regarding power to the lights - I installed a separate set of lights totally powered by the motorhome. Didn't want to install all those diodes. Supplemental braking could still connect direct to the battery regardless. Charging wire from the motorhome is an excellent idea.
Just my experience and what I have read.