Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2008 Jeep Wrangler IOD fuse?

We made our first trip with the jeep in tow this weekend, once hooked up could not tell it was there. I tried pulling the IOD fuse(just popped up not pulled out) and could hear what sounded like one or two relays cycling constantly. So I reconnected the IOD fuse and disconnected the battery at the neg post. When at our destination and reconnect the battery the only preset that was lost on the radio, was the clock, I was suprised as I thought all stations would have to be reset. So the question is what are the relays and is it normal and/or ok for them to cycle?
Thanks for any and all help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

In my experience, you should NOT have any continuous cycling of relays.

CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #3

Did you pull the fuse all the way up? My 07 Wrangler has 2 positions. One will still allow the fuse to make intermittent contact. The second position moves the pins further away from the socket.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with ernieh, if you pull the IOD fuse up to the second stop, the relays in the box will be quiet.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #5

I tow a 2008 Wrangler, use a 6 wire 'umbilical' from coach to toad, a #12 wire with 20A circuit breaker to positive terminal on battery, to use 12 volts from the MH while towing to keep battery charged....no fuse pulling or disconnecting of battery cables.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks
I only felt one stop when I pulled up. So I will try again and look for the second stop.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With our '08 Liberty, the tech just moved the fuse for the power outlet to the next slot in the fuse panel - right beside where it started. This keeps the power outlet "live" all the time and I do not need to disconnect the battery. I do not need to touch the IOD fuse at all. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I tow an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and I have 2 buddies that tow an 08 and an 09 and neither use the key because they do not have steering lock. They have had no problems. I use the key on the first position but am considering towing without.

I am going to jack my front off of the ground and turn it both ways to see if it locks and if it does not I will try it.

I will start a thread to see if anyone else town with no key.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
hardy1000:
I have towed our 08 Liberty to and from Arizona plus to North Carolina and back. I take out the key and do not remove the battery cable. Chrysler help lines and tech. support are useless on this topic. Instructions say to turn key to "lock" position which does not exist. I moved the fuse over to the next spot in the block and added a wire to the battery to charge from the motor home. No problems at all. The wheels move fine with no key.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
K Man
I also have a positive charge going to my battery from the MH. I installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake using a 7 pin connector, which has a positive wire to charge the battery in the toad. My buddies do not put the key in either.

I agree, Chrysler help on this subject is non existant. Next trip is Quartsite in January I will tow with no key.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #11

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (4DR) and the steering wheel DOES LOCK. I have pulled the IOD fuse any time I tow and have not had a battery discharge problem. I have at times had difficulty pulling the fuse up from thr seated position.
THAT being said I was on the Cool Tech (cooltechllc.com) site last week and discovered that they have a simple attachment to the negative battery post that removes battery power. The unit attaches to the negative battery post, negative cables attach to the battery disconnect unit, and battery is disengaged by turning a knob counter clockwise and to engage turn clockwise. The cost is $14.95 plus shipping. I received mine yesterday installed it in less than 15 minutes, verified that it did cut off battery supply. I will be towing next week for the final verification.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

I always pull the IOD Fuse. As stated UP to the second notch but not out.

I have towed over 20K mile and NO Problem!!!

Rick