Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The manager at my local GMC dealer stated that '08 will be the last year for the Envoy.

GMC already dropped the Envoy XL and the XUV.

It seems that the Acadia is the replacement.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The manager at my local GMC dealer stated that '08 will be the last year for the Envoy.

GMC already dropped the Envoy XL and the XUV.

It seems that the Acadia is the replacement.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
paz

I thought the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave were all flat-towable. In fact, doesn't RV Roamer have an Acadia?

I couldn't find it, but I think there was a thread about RV Roamer's Acadia killing the battery, which he overcame with a 10 amp Toad-Charge. In the meantime, I think GM revised the towing instructions to pull a 50 amp fuse to prevent the battery from going dead instead of disconnecting the battery, which is inconvenient since the battery is under the rear seat.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did a search, and indeed we do have some members towing the Acadia.

I didn't see it listed in Motorhome's magazine's list of approved toads and didn't know it was towable.

However, The 2008 Yukon XL I ordered today is towable.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I got my XUV in 05 when I learned it would be discontinued. I'm glad I got my XUV. It meets my needs and will be with me for a long time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I did a search, and indeed we do have some members towing the Acadia.

I didn't see it listed in Motorhome's magazine's list of approved toads and didn't know it was towable.

However, The 2008 Yukon XL I ordered today is towable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dirk, congrats on the new toad.
Although there's nothing wrong with the Envoy or Acadia, the Yukon is a lot more vehicle. I love the new GM '08 full-size trucks and SUVs.

I think the reason the Acadia isn't listed in the towing guides yet is that it is a 2008 model that wasn't out when the 2007 towing guides were written.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Acadia and Outlook came out in January, 2007, after the Annual Motorhome Mag dinghy towing lists went to press. Enclave came out even later, but it too is towable.

GMC said they would produce the Encore as long as there was enough market for it and you can expect Chevy to keep on with the Trailblazers cause they don't have an Acadia look-alike (yet).

The Acadia really isn't an Envoy replacement - it is a much larger vehicle, with three rows of seats and an additional 16+ inches in length and several hundred lbs in weight. But I suspect the larger, more car-like vehicle is what many were waiting for. Time will tell...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Route 66
"Moderator"

However, The 2008 Yukon XL I ordered today is towable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW!! You sure let this news out easily!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WOW!! You sure let this news out easily!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only bought it to have something newer than Bob has!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I think the Envoy's design is a little long-in-the-Tooth, compared to other market offerings....that is why it is being dumped. If you look at weights, I believe it weighs as much as the Tahoe. GM probably felt the Acadia was more marketable these days and the ol' Envoy/T.Blazer was outmoded. I was told Chevrolet would be getting an Acadia-like model.....so what do they do?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #11

Dirk,

Congratulations on the new vehicle! Are you going to get an Air Force One put on? Which tow plate package did you go with?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Congratulations on the new vehicle! Are you going to get an Air Force One put on? Which tow plate package did you go with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I ordered it last week, and Monday GM goes on strike.

Sounds like somebody else's bad luck, huh?

The good news is, the strike only lasted 2 days.

I'll keep my Brake Buddy as it's not proportional braking.

I'm still not convinced that proportional braking is needed.

I plan on using a Blue Ox baseplate.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
I got my XUV in 05 when I learned it would be discontinued. I'm glad I got my XUV. It meets my needs and will be with me for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch. In May 04 we were sitting in an XUV thinking we go with it to tow. Our salesman said just a second - tried to get it in neutral for flat towing. He couldn't do it. He went into the service area and they called GMC and were told the feature had been pulled because too many were being stolen.

We ended up with a Colorado. Pity. Clearly we were misled or they put it back in the following year.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slabman:
I think the Envoy's design is a little long-in-the-Tooth, compared to other market offerings....that is why it is being dumped. If you look at weights, I believe it weighs as much as the Tahoe. GM probably felt the Acadia was more marketable these days and the ol' Envoy/T.Blazer was outmoded. I was told Chevrolet would be getting an Acadia-like model.....so what do they do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Acadia is one inch shorter, one inch narrower, 5 to 7 inches lower (depending on roof rails) and 700 lbs lighter than the 2007 Tahoe. Of course the engine is also much smaller with much less torque. It can be loaded with the same options and at a much lower price than the Tahoe/Yukon.

BTW, the Yukon is only 10 inches and a sliver longer than the Envoy not 16. The Yukon XL is 30 inches longer. We'd really have preferred a Suburban/Yukon XL to our Tahoe - but not for towing.