Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

I just saw on the TV news tonight that Consumer Reports rated the Saturn Outlook the best SUV manufactured in the USA, only topped by two foreign made SUV's. Question, does anyone have a 2008 model? If so, do you still have to pull the 50 amp fuse before you tow 4 down? Or, have they modified it for 2008? Also, I wonder why Consumer Reports (I don't subscribe to the magazine) didn't rate it's GM twins (Acadia, etc) just as good. Perhaps they did, I just haven't seen the article, just heard it on TV.

The wife and I drove a 2007 model a couple of months ago and really like it, am looking to buy a new toad this year.

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #2

I just saw on the TV news tonight that Consumer Reports rated the Saturn Outlook the best SUV manufactured in the USA, only topped by two foreign made SUV's. Question, does anyone have a 2008 model? If so, do you still have to pull the 50 amp fuse before you tow 4 down? Or, have they modified it for 2008? Also, I wonder why Consumer Reports (I don't subscribe to the magazine) didn't rate it's GM twins (Acadia, etc) just as good. Perhaps they did, I just haven't seen the article, just heard it on TV.

The wife and I drove a 2007 model a couple of months ago and really like it, am looking to buy a new toad this year.

Jeff

Old 09-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Check this out!When the 30 Amp fuse is pulled and the key is in the first position away from lock ( the Accessory
position) the following components receive power:
Windshield Wiper (turn off)
Radio and clock display (remove CD and turn off radio)
Four power window Switch LED's and
Mirror Compass.
Under these normal circumstances these components will be drawing between 0.6 and 0.7 amps. Thus in
7 hours of towing, you will draw the battery down by about 5 amps. (Since Saturn recommends starting
the V6 models every 7 hours clock time we use this limit) Certainly not enough to require you to pull a
fuse, in our opinion.
We recommend checking the current draw by reversing the fuse in the fuse box so that one leg overlaps
exterior of the fuse box. Using a Volt Ohm Meter set to measure Amps (usually a 10 amp scale with the
leads plugged into a different place on the meter), connect one lead to the exposed fuse leg and the other
to the other connection in the fuse box. Check the current draw when the key is turned to the first
(Accessory) position. If it is in this range then you can safely leave the fuse in.
Remember to turn off the switch after towing since you will continue to draw down the battery if
you do not.
This information is supplied to assist you, and in no way is suggesting that Saturn approves this
procedure, however there are many Saturn Vue's operating as Tow Cars without removing the specified
fuse. Always check your car first since production changes can and do occur

Kountry Star
2007 Vue Toad
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

Was the above information for the Vue? Or, does it also apply to the Outlook?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #5

I asked about the Vue.Here's the source
RV Parts Plus
877-266-5398 Toll Free
Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #6

His name is Robert Lowe.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I just read the 2007 test report on the Outlook and it references the Acadia and Enclave brethren as well, though it was an Outlook that was actually road tested. It got a favorable review, but hardly best in class. You said it - other SUVs outranked it, but they are imports. CU rates the Honda Pilot as best in the 3-row seating SUV class and Toyota Highlander as best mid-size SUV, and the Lexus and Mercedes SUVs also outranked Outlook/Acadia in their respective classes. [Oddly, CU shows the Outlook & Acadia in both mid-size and large SUV classes as well as the 3-row seating group that cuts across the two size classes]

I'm not knocking the Outlook - we love our Acadia - but Saturn's tv ad is trying to make more of the CU rating than it really is. "Best in America" sounds a whole lot better than "3rd place", doesn't it?

Anyway, yes you still have to pull the 50A fuse in the 08's - no changes as yet and no statement that any change is even planned. I am using a 10A Toad Charge on mine and so far (only one 250 mile trip) it seems to be sufficient to keep the battery up without pulling the fuse. And don't get mislead with what works on a Vue - there is nada, zero, zilch, nothing in common between the electrical systems of the two. The Outlook/Acadia/Enclave has a lot more active electronics than the Vue and a lot of small things are powered when ever the key is on. It pulls well over 5 amps at all times!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Outlook/Acadia/Enclave has a lot more active electronics than the Vue and a lot of small things are powered when ever the key is on. It pulls well over 5 amps at all times! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you know this as fact or heresay?Did you check it with meter?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you know this as fact or heresay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I own an Acadia and started out with a 5A Toad Charge to keep the battery up. It was dead at the end of every travel day. So dead that the oad Charge breaker opened up cause it thought the battery was shorted! So dead the door locks wouldn't even work. I'll borrow a big DC ammeter one of these days and measure it but its more than my little multimeter can handle.

The Outlook/Acadia/Enclave have extensive digital electronics - everything in the vehicle is monitored continuously and everything is controlled by a multiplex system that senses button pushes rather than using plain old toggle switches. So the "body computer" is actively watching for things to happen and the dash is fully active in accessory mode.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #10

Gary,

Thanks for the information. My wife just ordered a 2008 Outlook Friday, will take delivery of it next Tuesday (via dealer trade). She didn't want the upgrade stuff, XR vs Xe package, no leather seats, etc. Good for the pocketbook, but I would have preferred the good stuff. But, it's her car, so whatever makes her happy. You know the old story, If mama ain't happy...... etc.

Anyway, in your opinion, is the 10 amp toad charge the better way to go? Just where is the 50 amp fuse located and how hard is it to get to? I'm no engineer, but I was thinking that if the battery was going dead flat with a 5 amp charger, 10 amps would still be discharging it, albeit at a slower rate. I do like the idea of just plugging it in though.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The 50A fuse is in a box under the hood, near the firewall on the passenger side. Getting the cover off mine is a nuisance because one of the clips is close to the firewall - I use a screwdriver to pop it off because my fingers won't fit in the narrow space. You could get a spare fuse and modify it to wire in a switch and another 50A fuse, though.

We've been parked at a campground all summer (workamping) so haven't towed very much since getting the 10A Toad Charge. It did the job on a 250 mile trip but I have yet to see if it is sufficient when towing day after day without driving the car much in between. All I can say is that so far it has done the job. We will be traveling a lot more now that our summer job is over and I will report further over the next several weeks.

In a typical 6-8 hour day of driving/towing, the difference between 5A and 10A is 30-40 amp-hours, which is around 50% of the car's battery capacity. Makes a huge difference.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #12

We just made our 2nd trip pulling our '07 Outlook over this past Labor Day weekend. 675 miles total distance and no dead battery. Just pulled the 50 amp fuse, did the other "usual" things you have to do to set up a toad and off we were. When we got to our destination, we actually drove the Outlook on a race track (Watkins Glen), and it was screaming back at me wanting MORE! Minus the few discrepancies in the early days figuring out which fuses to pull, I love this car and wish it was mine to drive everyday instead of my wifes.

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote