Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
2008 Saturn Vue wheel bearings

I have a front wheel bearing gone in my Vue. It has 50 K miles on it. Has anyone had similar issues and if so was it being a toad suspected of being the cause?

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
I have a front wheel bearing gone in my Vue. It has 50 K miles on it. Has anyone had similar issues and if so was it being a toad suspected of being the cause?
I have a 2008 Vue XE and I have not had any problems along those lines.

I just turned 3 years and 36,000 miles almost at the same time. My bumper to bumper warranty is over. Still have 2 more to go for the powertrain.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

Just speaking to a couple of auto mechanics today about business in general. They mentioned that is has been good, and that front wheel bearings on front drive cars have become a new best seller at their shop. Their take on it is that sourcing for these parts has gone to (where else?) China in recent years.

Make sure that it's not your tires that are making noise. Run your hands over the tire tread to check for uneven wear.

Usually front bearings will make a "droning" noise that varies with speed - most noticeable at 35 to 55 MPH - and often the noise comes and goes as you steer to the left and then to the right on straight smooth flat roads.

Get two or three opinions before committing to the job.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '07 Vue needed a wheel bearing with 35,000 miles on it. Only 3000 of hat was as a TOAD. I thought I had heard something before we started out towing, but my hearing is not the best anymore. I agree with the post that Saturn WB's are not the greatest.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
There is no doubt that it's a bearing. My concern is if towing it causes the stresses to "tear" the bearings up every 50k miles, a change may be in order. If there is a common theme on FWD vehicles due to cheap parts, then that is a different story. What irritates me is that with no advance warning it is now at the point where I cannot drive it to the nearest service center 165 miles away. It must be trailered.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote