Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #15

We are looking at toads... we liked the Vue, but worry about the 65mph limit. (We prefer to drive well below that, but sometimes the speed limit is 70, the traffic is moving at 75+ and the foot gets a bit heavy...)

Did you find out anything about how to deal with the speed limitation on the Vue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVsAndHealeys:
Did you find out anything about how to deal with the speed limitation on the Vue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Although I'm not bragging regarding our 2004 V6 Vue we occasionally topped 65MPH. We have often cruised at 68 MPH with no adverse effects. We calculated that we had approximately 100,000 miles 45,000 miles driven.

The new 08 Vue has a completely different drivetrain but I'm sure that the 65 MPH limit is a good guide to follow but may not be an absolute limit.

With the price of gas now days 65MPH to 68MPH is just about where I will want to cruise.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Does Saturn still sell at a fixed no haggle price???

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
Have you checked the COSTCO Auto Purchasing Program? It looks like they may have negotiated a dealer invoice program with selected dealers.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
When Saturns were first introduced the big deal was that they were sold at one price and no bargaining. I wanted to know if they were still sold that way.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, gentlemen, I guess I have to get photos also. I really like the beautiful medium metallic blue. We bought the '08 about 5 weeks ago. We went from a V-6 Vue to the inline 4. So far, after 6 weeks driving, the 4 banger seems to be OK.

Camping World put on Roadmaster tow barackets, Brake Pro (which I already owned) and MH-TOAD lighting wiring. Sorry to say, they screwed up all three and I'm going back in 2 days to have all three corrected.

They said they could not put the air dam back on. What they ment to say was "We would have to be very careful in cutting up your air dam to get around the brackets." What they really ment was it would take too much time, so we will do a sloppy job and you'll regret it. Had a talk with Camping World Distric Manager, and I'm sure that Friday, they will be careful in cutting and re-installing the air dam.

Plug for MH-TOAD lighting cord is waaaaaay to far in front of the grill. Will have them turn it around and see if can get it hidden a little. They did not put all wiring in loom. They did not properly hang wiring, and it is now on top of exhaust pipe in the back burned through.

They did not know where to put one of the wires for the Brake Pro, so they just left it off. They will put it on Friday. Something odd about the '08 break light switch wiring, so a supplemental switch must be installed, so MH driver knows when the breaks in the toad are activated.

Now about the price of the Saturn. Fixed price? What is a fixed price? First of all what is your trade worth? I traded in an '04 V-6 Vue, and was quoted from $5.7K to $7.5K trade in value. Secondly "dicounts" were: $1000 manager special, $500 car show discount, $1500 repeat loyal customer discount & $1000 stale inventory - the car I bought had been on their lot almost 5 months. With all the discounts, the dealer who had the stale inventory car, gave me the most for my trade, so YES there is a price difference. The way we figured it, from our local dealer, we drove about 100 miles up to PA and saved more $4000 on the EXACT same car. Fixed price. I don't think so.

One last question, which I've posted a couple times with no response. Which fuze to full when towing? On the '04 I just installed a switch in series with the fuze and did not have to pull the fuze. Driver do you know which number fuze to pull on the '08?

We will be towing for the first time Friday. The '08 is almost 500 lbs. heavier than the '04 because no polymer / plastic doors and side pannels, but all the other features, including the 8 air bags really makes it worth while. Also, in conjunction with the air bags, in a rear end collosion the head rests are fired forward 4 or 5 inches to try to save your neck.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
One last question, which I've posted a couple times with no response. Which fuze to full when towing? On the '04 I just installed a switch in series with the fuze and did not have to pull the fuze. Driver do you know which number fuze to pull on the '08?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fuse box is located on the passenger side on the shift console. Pull off the fuse box cover and the fuse location is pictured on the back of the fuse cover. It is the 3a ign fuse.
I think it is in the second row from the right and the second or third one from the bottom.
There is a fuse puller there also, but I just put a needle nose plier in the glove box. I aslo bought extra fuses because the first thing I will do is drop it and lose it. The dealer is checking to see if they can add a cutoff switch under the dash without messing with the warranty.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Ribbon:
Now about the price of the Saturn. Fixed price? What is a fixed price? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fixed price is everyone pays the sticker price. No haggling like an RV or all other autos. When Saturn was introduce their big ploy was that you walked in and paid the price shown on the window. The same as buying a loaf of bread.

Quoting edmunds.com, "Saturn is an automotive brand in the GM family that offers a fairly broad lineup of affordably priced vehicles. Currently, Saturn's roster includes cars, minivans and SUVs."

"After losing market share to Japanese imports during the '80s, General Motors launched Saturn, a new division that began selling small, low-priced cars in 1990. The division promoted itself as "different," with Saturn dealers offering no-haggle pricing and friendly customer service."

Apparently I'm the only one that remembers Saturn's "no-haggle pricing" when they were introduced and even those buying 2008's can not answer my question.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Apparently I'm the only one that remembers Saturn's "no-haggle pricing" when they were introduced and even those buying 2008's can not answer my question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, I know about the no-haggle pricing strategy Saturn implemented and I believe that was the case in 2004 when we bought our first Vue.

I walked away with a trade in value more than what was quoted in KBB and additionally the car was discounted 2500.00. I did not see any "No-Haggle" price banners nor did anyone talk about this is the price and that's what you pay. Regardless of "haggling" I made a deal with the dealer that I can live with. Isn't that what it's all about?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

The "No Haggle" price was in last year when we bought our Outlook. We did not have a trade and bought one of the first of the brand new line.

Our dealer, and Saturn CS both said that a cutout switch for the battery would void the warranty. Surely the GM engineers can come up with something better than pulling a fuse.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #24
RLS

I wonder what a switch is going to void the warranty on? What would a switch have to do with a mechanical failure? That sounds like a broad brush statement from CS to keep from doing research for a correct answer.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our dealer, and Saturn CS both said that a cutout switch for the battery would void the warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like any other company just covering themselves on an unapproved and untested modification.

Unfortunately, if a company takes that position when a problem occurs, it puts the burden on the owner to fight the battle.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I used a fuse by-pass switch in my 2004 Vue and if I can figure how to wire up my 08 it'll have a on/off pin switch for sure. My 10A BCM Cluster was by-passed with my setup.

I did the new owner of my 04 Vue a favor and removed the bypass circuit and fused the socket directly. If for some reason the new owner toggled the switch into the "off" position, they might not ever know what could be causing the vehicle not wanting to start.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Well speaking of milage--- my '00 sw2 saturn turned over 233k last week. the motor gave out at 191k and was replaced w/a 54k junk yard motor in may of '06. i really like the milage- per gal. east tn. to fall river ma. r/trip averaged 39.2. still rides and tows like a toad should. a newer VUE would be nice; i just hate to loose that type of MPG.25-30 sounds nice but 38+ is nicer.

joe

'04 Georgetown 359ts
'00 Saturn sw2 pushing
active USCGAUX
Overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We ran down SC Route 17 to Charleston and back to Myrtle Beach and I got 23.9 MPG with the 2.4L GM Ecotec. Is this consistent with your results? I'm hoping it'll get a little better but I'm not upset with what I got. So far we're liking this new car a lot!

Charleston is definitely a must do when you come to this part of the country and don't forget to go and find "Jack's Cosmic Dogs" on Route 17 in Mount Pleasant.