Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

2008 Toyota Tacoma Towing question

Hi To All:

I am in CT, but have a PA(near home) RV dealer installing Blue Ox Aventa tow system, SMI Duo brake system and REMCO driveshaft disconnect which I will pick up around 7/8.
I have a 6 speed manual, ELECTRONIC (4) wheel drive switch with rear wheel drive. I am towing (4) wheel down. I am putting transmission in neutral, parking brake off, electronic (4) WD switch in (2WD) and ignition switch in accessory position and disconnecting driveshaft.
The owners manual is in the truck 300 miles away at the dealers. Anyone have an idea if the Toyota has to have any fuses removed to tow without racking up miles that can help me prior to picking up coach/truck

Thanks/NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
There is not anything I need to do with my Tundra. I tow it in park since the driveshaft is disconnected (Remco) at the differential. No miles build up since the shaft is not turning at the speedo gear or sensor. You might want to tow it 2nd gear to keep your drive shaft from turning at all. It seems that was the recommendation by Remco.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

Submustang,

Thanks for reply. I'm retired NCCM, subtender, (4) aircraft carriers, exam writer, (2) tour NYC recruiter/CMC. Tender was Simon Lake(70-72). What boats were you on ?
OK, about my Toyota. Would it make a difference if I towed it in neutral instead of 2nd gear. I would think the (6) speed manual being in neutral would be better as it would be freewheeling without any chance of screwing up anything if you had it in a gear. Also as it is a 6 speed MANUAL, if the disconnect is NOT engaged and the parking brake is not engaged and the Toyota is not hooked up to the coach, then putting truck in any gear would be the only way the truck would not roll down a 2-6 degree incline once I got out of the truck. So I think putting it in any gear is not good because I think it MIGHT prevent the front wheels from turning.
How does your front wheels turn when you go around a curve if your AUTOMATIC Tundra is in PARK ?

NAVYBLUE
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I was on a carrier, the Sand Lance (SSN 660) and Seawolf (SSN 575). I also served on the Canopus, sister ship to the Simon Lake and a handful of submarine staffs. I was a QMC when I got commissioned as an LDO.

I tow in park because I have always understood that you do not want the shaft to spin at all in the transfer case/transmission since lubrication is the main issue. With my Tundra in 2wd, the front axle is disengaged and allowed to spin free just as it does running down the road. I also found that as long as I turned the key from on back to off and did not pull it out, the steering lock remained unlocked. I always hook up to the coach before I disengage the disconnect. We are very careful hooking up to tow. I check and have my wife double check. The impact of missing something could be disasterous. I also recheck every time we stop. Since the Tacoma could be different, especially with a manual 6 speed, you may want to talk to Remco.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

Submustang,

Picked up coach/Tacoma today from RV dealer. Towed it 350 miles with the Blue Ox tow bar and SMI Duo Brake Stay in Play brake system for truck.
Truck was in (2) WD, transmission in neutral, parking brake off, key in ignition in the off position and rear axle disconnected with the REMCO disconnect.
Truck tracked behind the coach very well and the SMI Stay in Play brake system worked as advertised.

NAVYBLUE
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Glad it towed well for you. I have been extremely happy with mine. Our next trip is the end of this month. It will be the first trip with the motorcycle in the bed of the truck and the SMI Airforce One. We are looking forward to it.