Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #43

Quote:
The reason you are getting mixed messages from your dealer is that for the most part they don't really know what is going on. In most cases I've read, forum members who have had problems are having to explain the recurring problems to the dealers and get them to look for the Service Bulletins. I also think the dealers don't really take it seriously or understand. Their attitude is that your covered by warranty so what's your problem
Stillwater this is so true. What I do is take a copy of the TSB to give to service writer and tech. Attached is the TSB for Flat Towing issued by Ford. Note that the fluid temp is important, Ford requires car driven 20 miles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flat Towing.pdf (72.3 KB, 221 views)
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #44

beejay25 - thanks for posting the TSB - finally we have it. While I appreciate those who have told us about the procedure there is nothing like seeing the actual document. I was having no success with my Ford dealer, Ford Canada or Ford USA in obtaining this document.
wanderlust2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE, 1200 miles from home transmission intact. There was discussion on another forum that possibly steep uphill climbs was contributing factor to the demise of the transmissions. I have towed on the flat and uphill over both Sexton and Siskiyos passes which have long steep grades and have seen no difference in trans temp. The temps have varied between 120 and 140 degrees and seem to be more affected by ambient temp. I would say at this point lowering the oil level may be working. My oil level is at the bare minimum suggested, there is more to lose by too much oil than not enough. Do not take the dealers word for the oil level. do it yourself or have somebody else do it for you. I'm thinking right now that multiplr trans failures may have been caused by putting too much oil back in. Getting the trans fluid to the proper level is very hard. I've been around equipment all my life starting at age 12 and I'm older than that now. I had a difficult time getting the oil level to the level I was happy with. I will be monitoring the temp when I get to higher ambient temp but for now the highest has been 70 degrees
Here's hoping.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #46

burned transmission

We had the same problem in August. Ford gave us a new tranny, but we were stranded for 8 days.

Here is the fix that Ford came out with so far. We had it done yesterday. There is a new dipstick. Check with your dealer to see if you have the new one.

Basically they run the tranny slighly lower than the fill zone on the dipstick. It has to be checked when the tranny is at operating temp. They will give you a print out of the proper level.

Ford is aware of the problem according to the Ford Rep and is trying to come up with a better fix. Until then they will keep replacing our trannys as long as they are under warranty. We just have to hope that we are in a good place to stay for 8 days while they fix it.
Bigwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I'm glad I don't have these problems with my '07 Ford Explorer...35K towed miles and over 24K of driven miles and she just keeps on trucking!
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Are now in the Yuma area, have had no problems. The hottest temp recorded was about 145 degrees. The highest ambient temp was about 83 degrees. The most I towed without stopping to run the engine etc was 2 1/2 hours. I try to travel with the trucks which is from 55 to about 62mph. I pulled steep grades with no ill effect as a matter of fact it appeared the only thing that influenced trans temp was ambient temp but only by about 5 degrees. The oil smells and looks good. The transmission is working well while driving. I still have a fear that there is one or two conditions that I never experienced one being higher temp and two traveling at a constant 65 miles and hour or three for longer periods of time which could suddenly lead to an overheat and burned up transmission. I still have no confidence with the lowered oil level as being a long range solution.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #49

That's an encouraging report - makes my day.
wanderlust2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stillwater,how many miles so far towing,and do you pull the tranny dip stick when you check the temps? Does the fluid look like it has any small bubbles,like a froth, if you pull the dip stick?
Thanks for all the info!!!
Whaler

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Whaler, I've towed the Escape 1850 miles. I did pull the dipstick a few times on the way down. It was totally normal, clear, with no sign of foaming and smelled as it should. I did not check the level but had no reason to think it had changed.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stillwater,any more to report on that Escape?More miles? I'm really disappointed with my dealer,who I have used for more than 35 years,they will lower the fluid level at my expense, but no guaranties after warranty period.And even more with Ford (NON)customer service in Dearborn,who are unaware of any troubles,and will not let me talk to some one in the tranny dept.Can you tell I'm not happy with Ford.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
You folks might want to look at another thread which has info on this subject...re towability of Ford Escape. As I said there, I had one that went thru 5 transmissions in 5000 miles after being towed. I bought it used, but the dealer took it back after I found this out from the previous owner.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
You folks might want to look at another thread which has info on this subject...re towability of Ford Escape. As I said there, I had one that went thru 5 transmissions in 5000 miles after being towed. I bought it used, but the dealer took it back after I found this out from the previous owner.
So where is this other thread???
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Stillwater,any more to report on that Escape?More miles? I'm really disappointed with my dealer,who I have used for more than 35 years,they will lower the fluid level at my expense, but no guaranties after warranty period.And even more with Ford (NON)customer service in Dearborn,who are unaware of any troubles,and will not let me talk to some one in the tranny dept.Can you tell I'm not happy with Ford.
I have not towed any more since arriving in the south. As far as the dealers are concerned they are mostly unaware of the problem as they only work in an isolated area, we only know of the extent of the problem because of this and other forums. I have not seen any problems lately which I thought would start showing up with the after Xmas snowbirds heading south. I did contact Good Sam action line and forwarded as much info as possible I haven't heard anything back and will start to follow up in a couple of weeks if I don't hear anymore.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #56

We purchased a used '09 Mercury Mariner w auto trans to flat tow. Towed it over 4000 miles this summer to Yellowstone and back to Kansas City. Followed all the towing guidelines in the book. Warning lights came on last week, so took it back to the Ford dealer we bought it from. Transmission is totally burned out. Thrust converter and clutch plate blue from heat, and trans fluid smelled burned. Ford is going to totally cover this under waranty, but now I'm worried. Plan to install a transmission pump, does anyone think this will help? We plan to try one more time, and if it burns out again, then we'll go back to the manual trans. Subaru Forester. Didn't have any problems with the '07 we traded in, but my wife wanted an automatic trans. Let us know if anyone has had any experience with the transmission pump on '09 or later Mariners or Escape.

RK in Kansas City
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote