Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
rkennedy
Make sure the replacement transmission was built after Feb 8, 2010. From that point on they had a revised baffle put in them to try to eliminate the overheating issues. Mine is still OK once in a while I'll get a harsh shift. I also took a sample of trans oil and had it independently analyised after 1 year 20,000km and 7000km towing and it came back good. The only comment was an elevated metal content but consistent with oil that had been in the transmission since new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
rkennedy
Make sure the replacement transmission was built after Feb 8, 2010. From that point on they had a revised baffle put in them to try to eliminate the overheating issues. Mine is still OK once in a while I'll get a harsh shift. I also took a sample of trans oil and had it independently analyised after 1 year 20,000km and 7000km towing and it came back good. The only comment was an elevated metal content but consistent with oil that had been in the transmission since new.
I sure hope that problem has been solved. We've towed a Tahoe since 2007 and 2 weeks swapped my DW's 2006 Equinox for a 2011 Escape AWD Limited and will be towing it (baseplates on the way now). The Tahoe was swapped the same day for a 2010 Flex which I won't tow even though it is towable. I'm looking forward to the drop in towing weight of almost 2,000 lbs.

Don

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I sure hope that problem has been solved. We've towed a Tahoe since 2007 and 2 weeks swapped my DW's 2006 Equinox for a 2011 Escape AWD Limited and will be towing it (baseplates on the way now). The Tahoe was swapped the same day for a 2010 Flex which I won't tow even though it is towable. I'm looking forward to the drop in towing weight of almost 2,000 lbs.

Don
Take a look at the transmission build date to see if it is the post Feb 8 version. In any case make sure you read the supplemental four down recreational towing guide. It calls for lowering the transmission oil to be between the lower hash mark and lower add oil line. Have the dealer do it and get a copy of the work order for you files for your due diligence. Then do not take the word of the dealer that they did it properly, check it yourself. The majority of dealers have not taken it seriously enough and don't ensure proper levels.Make sure you drive about twenty miles to get the transmission properly warmed up then take the reading. My oil level is at the bare minimum to keep me in compliance with Ford's recommendations.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #60

The manual does describe all of that and the dealer did not adjust. Now I can go back and say "you knew I'm going to be towing it." Given we bought two new cars on the same day they will be the last from that dealer if it now wants to charge for the verification.

I wonder what the H Ford is doing. They and GM developed this line of transmissions jointly and GM doesn't seem to be having this problem.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Escape is older, but owners' manual says use dolly, so we do, and we've had no problem towig. The pump was much more expensive than the used dolly.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
His is an All Wheel Drive (AWD) it cannot able to be towed on a dolly period. Ford advertised them as flat towable, therefore they should be flat towable. Using a dolly defeats the purpose why most people buy a flat towable car
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #63

We have friends in our club who just finished arbitration with Ford for the same condition in a Mariner. They got their money back. The vehicles are rated for 4 down towing.

pcurt
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
His is an All Wheel Drive (AWD) it cannot able to be towed on a dolly period. Ford advertised them as flat towable, therefore they should be flat towable. Using a dolly defeats the purpose why most people buy a flat towable car

Exactly. And who wants the weight of the dolly as well and having to stow it when you get to a place.

The only alternative is to have all four wheels up on a trailer - and that I don't want to do.

I would find it hard to believe that ours does not have the new or revised transmission as it was shipped from the factory in Kansas on Aug 10.

Don
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Exactly. And who wants the weight of the dolly as well and having to stow it when you get to a place.

The only alternative is to have all four wheels up on a trailer - and that I don't want to do.

I would find it hard to believe that ours does not have the new or revised transmission as it was shipped from the factory in Kansas on Aug 10.

Don
You should be good to go but you still need to lower the trans fluid as I understand it. I haven't seen the recreational towing guide for the latest version. Yours should have that in your books you got with the car. Also make sure you check the trans fluid after you have Ford do it. Like I said they don't seem to get it.
The thing that seems to be universal with all Escape/Mariner owners is they love the car and just want Ford to get it right.
There has been a lot of suggestion of Lemon Laws etc. (usually from people with no skin in the game) but for most people that's a loser after spending money to equip the car which you don't get back plus mileage losses.
There was a lot more chatter last year about this (2009s)but it has died down significantly this year. That is not to say there hasn't been ongoing problems with a few folks. I'm still tow the car with concern that at some point mine may blow up. Unfortunately that may be 500 miles from home or where your going. I use a hand held heat gun to check my trans temps at most stops.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #66

As I noted earlier, the 2011 manual still has all the same requirements. I checked the transmission dipstick cold and it was full to the top and over. Have not looked at it hot since at this point it has few miles as we bought the 2 new vehicles and then went away on a railway trip. Next time it is run a reasonable distance I'll check but my guess is they are going to have to drain off some.