Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

2009 Ford Focus Toad Instructions

Hi All.
I'm new to IRV2, so please bear with me as I learn how to post and ask questions. If this question is covered somewhere else, let me know where.

I'm planning to buy a '09 Ford Focus with manual transmission to tow behind our Newmar KSDP. Everything I read says this car is 4 wheels down towable.

I read in the Focus Owners Manual today that in order to tow the Focus on it's 4 wheels, one should put the transmission in neutral, make sure the parking brake is NOT engaged, and turn the key switch to the "Off" position. On the very next page of the owners manual is a description of the 4 key switch positions... off, accessory, run, start. It says that in the "off" position, the steering wheel lock is engaged.

We've been towing for two years and have never had the steering wheel locked. But now we're confronted with Ford's Owner's manual telling us to have the steering lock engaged. This just doesn't sound right. Don't the wheels have to be free to caster in order to minimize tire wear???

I'd love to hear first hand from others towing a Focus. What do you do? Have you had any problems??

Thanks in advance...

TDHoch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
TD, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I took the liberty to move your thread into this section of the forum for more exposure to the towing crowd. Although I have not towed a Ford Focus, could it be that if you do not remove the key the wheel will not lock? You could try turning it after you turn off the ignition to see. Let the rest of us know what you find and I am sure those that are towing your make and model will chime in on the question soon. Take care and enjoy the website.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey TDHoch,
Hope I can help somewhat, we tow a '07. Owner's manual sezs the same confusing instructions. Turn your key to the accessory position and tow away, have never had a problem, including battery rundown.

Would recommend buying a spare key (made anywhere) without the computer chip contained within, (much cheaper) this will allow you to turn the key to the accessory position, but the key cannot be used by anyone to start the car. Thereby eliminating a major problem of the key being in the switch.

Best,

Bob
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

Bob, thanks for your response. That's the information I was hoping to get. I'll also get that key you discussed... it sounds like a good idea.

T
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we just had our 09 Jeep setup to tow 4 down and Im using a nonchipped key when towing turned to the first click as previously stated.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #6

Here's the status of this topic:

Before purchasing the car and going for another, more thorough test drive, I found that when the key is turned from the "run" position to the "off" position, the steering does NOT lock until the key is removed. As the key is removed you can hear the mechanical "clunk" of the locking pin engaging.

So the Ford manual is right... put the car in neutral, release the parking brake, and shut the car off (key in OFF position). What it doesn't say is to NOT remove the key.

I'm not sure if the '09s are changed from earlier model years, but that's what I've found so far.

Thom Hoch
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Goes to show Thom, they can't leave things alone! On the 07, my steering is not unlocked unless the key is turned to the accessory position.

Best,

Bob

ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford focus towing toad