Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

2010 Chev Suburban - Transfer case

My 2010 Chev Suburban has the 6L80 transmission that Remco will have a lube pump for soon BUT it is also 4x4 with only the single speed transfer case that Remco says the lube pump can't work for and chevy says don't tow it 4 down. I currently tow it on a large custom tow dolly but I am wondering - Any Chevy experts out there. Is it possible to go from the 4x4 single speed transfer case and change it into either the 2 speed transfer case that actually has a neutral on it OR get rid of the transfer case and go to no 4x4?
CPAKESHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #2

I'm not a Chevy , expert, but your in the 4X4 vs AWD area here most consider a vehice with a single speed t/case an AWD not a 4X4.
You can check with a Chev dealer to find out if your vehicle was offered with a 2 speed t/case then look around salvage yards for all the related parts, you may be looking for drive shafts, t/case, and a whole pile of wiring and controls if it was only available with electronic shift.
JMHO. Probably cheaper to change vehicles .
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Missed this in my first reply.
You say your towing it on a large dolly, currently, or are you trailering the vehice ? All 4 wheels off the ground?
Most AWD , t/cases won't tolerate the rear wheels turning if the fronts are stationary
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

2010 chev sub

I guess chevy calls it 4x4 because there is a switch to go from 2 wd to 4wd but there is no Neutral in the tsf case which is why it can't be towed flat. The 2 speed transfer case has an N and can be towed flat without a lube pump. I currently tow with rear wheels up on a Landgrebe custom dolly but I would like to go back to towing flat. Have been looking at vehicles etc and considering options. I need a veh that holds 7-8 people though so my options are limited.
CPAKESHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

Good Luck with your search, and I'll throw this in for what it's worth.
Modification of a vehicle as new as yours may drop the re-sale value, but at least if you are mobile with your current set up, you have time to consider all options.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had to specifically look for a truck with 2speed transfer case and neutral. A good portion of those have the AWD version which is not towable. I think I would look for Suburban with proper transfer case. Just a footnote, most sales people have no clue how to put transfer case in neutral, my 2011 it took 2salesman, sales mgr. and finally a tech to figure it out. Good luck
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote