Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #15
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Towing a Prius...

We have hundreds of customers towing Prius cars on our our dollies. In fact our dolly is the only dolly I am aware of that you can easily load and unload a Prius trouble free. Because the Prius does not have a locking column it is best to not use a turning or pivoting table dolly. You will have to strap/lock the column if you choose to do so. In addition, attached ramps are a real problem for small cars. They WILL damage the underside of your car every time you make a grade transition, especially while turning at the same time.
After you tow a Prius on a dolly you will have multiple dash warning lights advising you that something is wrong with the traction control and steering. This is simply the computer sensing that only two wheels were rolling. After you drive the car a few miles and restart it those will go away.
A Prius "C" cannot be towed on a dolly. Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
We have hundreds of customers towing Prius cars on our our dollies. In fact our dolly is the only dolly I am aware of that you can easily load and unload a Prius trouble free. Because the Prius does not have a locking column it is best to not use a turning or pivoting table dolly. You will have to strap/lock the column if you choose to do so. In addition, attached ramps are a real problem for small cars. They WILL damage the underside of your car every time you make a grade transition, especially while turning at the same time.
After you tow a Prius on a dolly you will have multiple dash warning lights advising you that something is wrong with the traction control and steering. This is simply the computer sensing that only two wheels were rolling. After you drive the car a few miles and restart it those will go away.
A Prius "C" cannot be towed on a dolly. Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
I guess I'm in total disagreement with your above statements, except the Prius C part of which I have no knowledge or experience. My pivot pan Master Tow dolly is very easy to use while loading or unloading my Prius. I have NEVER hit the underside of my Prius nor my Ford Focus, while towing. After towing the Prius for 3,500 miles and taking the car off the dolly many times, I never once had dash warning lights come on. I think you are posting misleading information in support of your own product.

Fran

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #17
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Towing a Prius..

Actually, I am simply passing on the information that has been shared with me from hundreds of my customers. I am in a unique position to answer hundreds of questions asked about towing. I have been selling dollies for a long time and have sold thousands and thousands of them. I have feedback and information from thousands and thousands of people.
Of course Master Tow Dollies can be used to tow a Prius, the anecdotal information I have is that it requires loading boards on and off to avoid damage to the car. I have seen multiple videos of damage done to the underside of small cars from attached ramps. Our dolly used to have attached ramps. We designed those out of our dolly when we realized how much damage they did.
Of course I am going to answer the question asked. Yes, Our dolly works extremely well with a Prius.
It is always problematic to post ANYTHING on forums because no matter what it is someone will always be offended.
And actually, At least once or twice a week we send our customers to a competitor to buy their dolly, because we know they cannot use our dolly. People do not know what they do not know. I have answers so I share those answers. I apologize if it offends you.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Towing a Prius...

Reference previous post, RockWood27 even acknowledges in a previous post of his own, that he had to use Loading boards on and off the Master Tow to prevent damage to his Prius, and he had to strap down the steering wheel. This is my point. Our dolly does not need any loading aids on or off and you do not have to strap/secure the steering column.
Just saying.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #19

Any issues or problems regarding the Roadmaster dolly and towing a 2009 Prius? Several towing experiences went smoothly, but last time out the tied down
front wheels would cock back and forth (Staccato fashion) when making a right or left turn until the turn was completed and then towed perfectly fine after that until the next left or right turn.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #20

We tow our 2013 Ford C-Max Energi on a tow dolly and it does just fine. We decided to do it this way instead of 4 down because of the battery issue. We are getting better at putting it on and taking it off each time we use it. There is definitely a learning curve to the tow dolly. We did invest in better wheel straps and they definitely work better and are easier to put on. Also, ours is the Acme EZ tow dolly and it came with the the older plastic ramps so we upgraded to their new ramps and they are so much better. It just takes some learning and experience to master the dolly.....
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #21

We tow our 2005 Prius on a KarKaddy Dolly. Not a problem at all. I do put a 2x6 under the ramps when loading and unloading as the ramps are steep for the Prius.
No extra lights or warnings when we start it up and unload it (don't know where that idea came from). The back axle is just like a lot of front wheel drive cars. Go fer it!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #22

Thank you!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
I have a 2010 Prius that I have towed to houston tx from Va.Beach Va. So far in an on going journey. the two things that are unique to this car is that steering does not lock get a rigid Dolly or you will have to tie the steering down. Long ramps to keep the air dam from bottoming.search this forum for threads on this subject.

Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote