Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

2010 Tacoma 4wd Auto Dinghy?

What is the process to allow the 2010 4WD Tacoma with Automatic to be a four wheels down dingy? Not purchased YET!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

You can't tow any Toyota automatic transmission vehicle 4 down without modification to the transmission/ driveline. Check the REMCO Towing Products website for details.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Here is the Web site: Remco's DriveShaft Coupling

Call Bill Spelic for more info at 855-447-3626.

Based on the info that you provided, you would need to get a new Drive Shaft fitted with a Drive Shaft Coupling (DSC) with the ancillary parts or get your Drive Shaft modified for a DSC. The purpose of the DSC is to disconnect the Drive Shaft which will disengage the flow of energy from the Differential to the Transfer Case so as not to damage the Transfer Case and the Transmission when towing. When you are not towing and simply driving the Tacoma on its own, then the DSC will provide a solid link so that power will flow from the Transfer Case to the Differential.

Gaetan
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have an '07 Tacoma 4wd w/manual transmission, and the dealership told me it could not be towed 4 down. I was rather disappointed.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

Toyota still does not recommend towing behind motorhome.

However, Remco can provide you with a solution to make your vehicle towable. Here is what it say for a 2007 Tacoma: QUOTE Towable if the vehicle has a 5 SPEED manual transmission and a MANUAL transfer case. If you have an Electronic transfer case, with a manual transmission you require a Drive Shaft Coupling to tow four on the ground. UNQUOTE

Gaetan
Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

I have tundra and wanted to flat tow was told i could not so i ask about a tacoma and you can't tow that either. chevy 4x4 or ford or dodge you need a 2 speed transfer case
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetan Lavoie View Post
Toyota still does not recommend towing behind motorhome.

However, Remco can provide you with a solution to make your vehicle towable. Here is what it say for a 2007 Tacoma: QUOTE Towable if the vehicle has a 5 SPEED manual transmission and a MANUAL transfer case. If you have an Electronic transfer case, with a manual transmission you require a Drive Shaft Coupling to tow four on the ground. UNQUOTE

Gaetan
What your failing to recognize is the OP stated he had a AUTOMATIC transmission Tacoma. This vehicle does not have the traditional transfer case setup with a neutral position. It is more like a AWD vehicle.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

You are correct in so far as the transmission being an automatic and not a manual. When you say that it does not have a traditional Transfer Case setup and it is more like an AWD, do you imply that 2WD and 4 WD cannot be manually selected from the Transfer Case? If it is setup like an AWD, then the 4WD engages when there is sufficient slippage from one of the axle. Remco specifies that a DSC will be required for towing on all four. However, I am not sure anymore. Better talk directly with Bill Spelik at Remco.

Gaetan
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tacoma whether manual or auto cannot be towed 4-down unless is has a manual transfer case that can be put into Neutral which I don't think they make. Toyota does not want the transmission to turn when the engine is not on. As suggestions above, drive shaft disconnect is required. This is basically putting an aftermarket transfer case of sort where the truck will have a manual transfer Neutral. Drive shaft will be disconnected manually thus transmission is not turning as the truck is being towed.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip8688 View Post
Tacoma whether manual or auto cannot be towed 4-down unless is has a manual transfer case that can be put into Neutral which I don't think they make. Toyota does not want the transmission to turn when the engine is not on. As suggestions above, drive shaft disconnect is required. This is basically putting an aftermarket transfer case of sort where the truck will have a manual transfer Neutral. Drive shaft will be disconnected manually thus transmission is not turning as the truck is being towed.

Not entirely correct. You can tow a Tacoma, but it needs a manual transmission and a manual transfer case. Transfer case is put in 4H, there is no neutral on a Tacoma transfer case. Friend tows a 2000 all over the country each year with no issues.

Remco no longer sells the drive shaft disconnects, they sold the business and the company they sold to stopped making them, so towing an automatic is probably not possible without custom work reomcotowing.com is a great resource for looking up what is needed to make a car towable.

I'm in the market for a manual tranny, manual transfer Tacoma xtra cab to tow. These things are hard to find and they sell well over book value!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your friend may tow it without any problems, but I don't believe Toyota recommends it(I may be wrong on this). One question with your friends's setup though, why would you need to put the transfer case to 4H?

Here's the guys that bought the remco drive shaft disconnect couplers. They sell one for Tacoma as someone mentioned above. www.remcodsc.com

Biggest issue that I have with all these truck mfrs, is why did they get rid of transfer case neutral position. Electronic shift on the fly is nice, but I miss not having the neutral position and we wouldn't be having this conversation now either.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #12

Here is some more info on the Drive Shaft Coupling taken from the Remco DSC Web site Remco's DriveShaft Coupling

QUOTE In 2008 after a 30 year history of making the finest accessories for the RV towing industry the owners of Remco sold the Drive Shaft Coupling and Lube Pump product lines to two different companies. SuperFlow purchased the Drive Shaft Coupling and Aquatec purchased the Lube Pump. Since the buyout we continued to sell these products under the Remco name under a joint agreement.
Today we begin a new era in Remco history by separating the sales and support of these two fine products with SuperFlow selling, servicing and manufacturing the Drive Shaft Coupling. SuperFlow will continue to sell the Drive Shaft Coupling under the Remco brand name. UNQUOTE

I have attached a file below that described quite well the purpose, construction and operation of a DSC. For further info, call Bill Spelik at 855-447-3626

Gaetan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DriveshaftCoupling.pdf (1.01 MB, 63 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip8688 View Post
Your friend may tow it without any problems, but I don't believe Toyota recommends it(I may be wrong on this). One question with your friends's setup though, why would you need to put the transfer case to 4H?

Here's the guys that bought the remco drive shaft disconnect couplers. They sell one for Tacoma as someone mentioned above. www.remcodsc.com

Biggest issue that I have with all these truck mfrs, is why did they get rid of transfer case neutral position. Electronic shift on the fly is nice, but I miss not having the neutral position and we wouldn't be having this conversation now either.
I agree on the manual transfer case and the neutral settings. Sure not a lot of easy options in trucks when it comes to towing.

I spoke to my RV friend last night and the 4H recommendation came from Remco when he bought all the parts from them. Supposedly since there is no neutral, you want both transfer cases turning so they stay lubed, I guess for him it has worked since this is his second Tacoma dingy and he has put over 50,000 tow miles on the two.

I currently have two honda CR-V's that we tow, but want a truck. Seriously starting to consider a Chevy Colorado over a Tacoma as the Colorado's tow with no issues.