Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Hi Rick,

All wranglers 2007 down that have steering lock need the key in the ignition and you need to pull the IOD fuse to keep battery drain to a minium. The 08's and above without steering lock do not need the key and you do not need to pull the IOD fuse because there is no drain. I installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake on my Wrangler and it came with an extra wire in the embilical cord that charges the toad battery when towing.

There are after market wiring kits that also have this option.
No disagreement here. Just for the heck of it, I turned the wheel left and right to see where the steering lock sets in, It's at about 180 either way before it locks. It's no hassle to leave the key in but would rather not have to. There is no law that say an auto mfg has to provide steering lock on their cars. Maybe the reason why 08's and newer don't have one.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Rick,
No matter what we have to do I love the Jeep, Key or no key. I had an 01 Wrangler that I had to put the key in and the only problem that I had was remembering to do so. To help me remember I placed the keys on the MH drivers seat to remind me and my wife reminded me to do that.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #17

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My 2008 4 Dr 4wd definitely has a steering lock...I have checked and rechecked. I have asked two delearships if that feature can be removed and the answer continues to be NO. Bye the way when I was at a dealership in Ventura a couple of weeks ago for some work the mechanic relayed a story about someone who towed a new 2010 without putting transfer case in neutral and leaving xmission in park...$14,000 dollars to repair at the owners expense. I continue to use my checksheet each time I tow.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the '08 and older Wranglers have the steering lock...make NO mistake about it. I have the '4 mile' black residue on the left side of a white Jeep to prove it! Of course, there's a late '08 out there somewhere to be an exception...I don't have it. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 09 JK behind Motorhome without a key.

Well it is Official. Chrysler called back yesterday 03/25/10. The Tech that called said that Chrysler did NOT update the Owner Manuals for the 2009, 2010 and some late year 2008 jeeps to say that they did NOT have steering column locks so that the key did NOT have to be used when being towed. He said that they should have sent something out in writing as he has received a ton of this question being asked. I asked that he send me or this forum and the forum JK.com something stating this he said he would contact the " Higher Powers to Be " to have this done. Good luck with that.