Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2010 wrangler

bit the bullet today and bought a toad. its a 2010 jeep wrangler with maual tranny .i would appreciate any and all coments as to how other folks tow this vehicle, tow,base plate. tail lights, brakes/no brakes etc etc
thanks brianj

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We tow an 07 Unlimited. We use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, mainly because that's what our Tiffin dealer stocked and serviced. We also use the Blue Ox auxilary brake system, for the same reason. You will want some kind of an auxilary brake system, the Jeep is over 4k lbs.

The tail lights we use are totally separate from the Jeeps system, using separate sockets installed in the Jeep tail lamp housing. There's plenty of room and no danger of compromising the Jeep's electrical system. There's no direct electrical connection, what so ever between the Jeep and the motor home.

I had a 'dummy' key made (will turn the lock, but the Jeep will not run more than about 5 seconds if started with it) to unlock the steering lock when being towed. You may not have to, you'll have to research that. There apparently has been a change made since 07. I also installed a simple blade switch on one of the battery terminals to keep the battery from running down when towing. I do not lose the radio presets in doing so. The Blue Ox auxilary brake system requiers 12v power. I spliced one of the two dash 12v recepticles into the towing harness (cutting the connections with the Jeep). It's now powered only through the wire harness to the motor home when the motor home ignition is on.

That's about it in a nut shell. It's easy to set up, takes 5 - 10 minutes at most. Follow the Jeep owners manual for flat towing. It will likely advise you to put the transfer case in neutral, and the manual trans in a forward gear.

We've towed ours about 12k miles now with no issues.

You made a good choice, for a number of reasons. Set it up right and you should enjoy many trouble free adventures.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We bought a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in November. Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit (extra bulbs, no diodes). Moved the Air Force One toad unit over from the old Buick. With the manual, you put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in 4th, I think. No need to leave the key in or pull any fuses, since the wheel doesn't lock.

joe
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2007 Wrangler Sahara two-door, six-speed. We use the Blue Ox Baseplate and the Adventa II tow bar. We are using the Brake Buddy auxillary brake system as we had previous experience with one. Our Jeep also has separate stop and turn signal bulbs in the tail light housings--works great.

The 2007 and 2008 Wranglers have steering wheel locks, so we have to travel with the ignition key in the accessory position and pull the IOD fuse to keep the battery from discharging during a day of towing. You guys with 2009 and 2010 Wranglers are lucky as they do not have steering locks so you do not have to have the key inserted to tow.

Enjoy your new Wrangler--good choice.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
ck out cool tech wireing..they have an ad on this site.. works great low cost easy install
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto to Ditto regarding the Cool Tech wiring harness, it is easy to install and works great. I also use the Cool Tech tailgate shock and CB license plate system. Good folks to deal with. Congrats on the new Wrangler I tow an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and love it.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 Jeeps a 03 2dr Rubicon and a 09 4dr Unlimited Rubicon that I can tow. I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10,000lb tow bar that stays on the motorhome. The 03 Jeep has a home made wiring hareness that ties in to the Jeeps lights. The 09 has the Cool Tech wiring harness and the Toad Charger that I installed. But both Jeeps use the same wiring connection between the coach and the Jeeps. A 7 prong plug to the coach and a 6 prong plug to the Jeep. The hookup is about the same for both Jeeps except that the 03 has a steering wheel lock so the key has to be used but the ignition switch is different that the first position does not turn on any accessories. The 09 does not have the column lock so the key is not needed. But Chrsyler will NOT admit or even accknowledge that the 09 and the 2010 Jeeps do not have column locks and that the key is not needed.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm also getting the run around from Jeep -- sent several queries asking that the issue be forwarded to someone knowledgeable enough to provide an answer. They keep referring me to the "Owner's Manual"?? Tested our 2010 Wrangler without the key in "ACC" and removed from the ignition and there was no problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Update -- just received a reply from the customer service representative that I've been emailing. He's going to forward my concerns.

"Dear John:
Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.
I apologize for the misinformation. I will forward your request to have
it investigated.

Thanks again for your email.
Sincerely,
Jonathan"
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I tow a 2008 4 Dr Sahara with auto xmission...so far about 40K miles.
I use the RoadMaster All Terrain Aluminun tow bar and RoadMaster Brackets on the Jeep. I also use the Roadmaster Guardian between the M/H and Jeep to protect the Jeep from flying debris.(Not the one you install on the bumper, but stretches out between the two vehicles parllel to the ground)
Also use the M&G braking system with breakaway feature.
The Cooltech accesories are great...wiring to the taillights is easy, the battery disconnect much easier than fuse pulling although you do need to reset the clock and radio settings, and the tailgate shock for keeping the door open.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
As long as there is no steering lock you can tow without a key. I have an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and my friend tows an 08 without the key with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguarin View Post
I have 2 Jeeps a 03 2dr Rubicon and a 09 4dr Unlimited Rubicon that I can tow. I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10,000lb tow bar that stays on the motorhome. The 03 Jeep has a home made wiring hareness that ties in to the Jeeps lights. The 09 has the Cool Tech wiring harness and the Toad Charger that I installed. But both Jeeps use the same wiring connection between the coach and the Jeeps. A 7 prong plug to the coach and a 6 prong plug to the Jeep. The hookup is about the same for both Jeeps except that the 03 has a steering wheel lock so the key has to be used but the ignition switch is different that the first position does not turn on any accessories. The 09 does not have the column lock so the key is not needed. But Chrsyler will NOT admit or even accknowledge that the 09 and the 2010 Jeeps do not have column locks and that the key is not needed.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
As long as there is no steering lock you can tow without a key. I have an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and my friend tows an 08 without the key with no problems.
Thank you!! Thats what I'm trying to get the Jeep folks to change in their "Owner's Manual" -- plus the fact you don't need to disconnect the battery. I use a BlueOx setup, with tail/turn lights separate from the vehicle (mounted inside the factory light housing) for towing.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 Unlimited Automatic behind a 2005 Dolphin 5376 w24. We use Ready Brute / Ready Brake system. Roadmaster 1428 brackets, Demco Adapter, Cooltech harness, Roadmaster coil cord. Self installed, total cost under $1400.00. Pull the IOD fuse and you're ready to go.
My 2007 does have a steering lock so we tow in ACC position
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick,

All wranglers 2007 down that have steering lock need the key in the ignition and you need to pull the IOD fuse to keep battery drain to a minium. The 08's and above without steering lock do not need the key and you do not need to pull the IOD fuse because there is no drain. I installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake on my Wrangler and it came with an extra wire in the embilical cord that charges the toad battery when towing.

There are after market wiring kits that also have this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
2007 Unlimited Automatic behind a 2005 Dolphin 5376 w24. We use Ready Brute / Ready Brake system. Roadmaster 1428 brackets, Demco Adapter, Cooltech harness, Roadmaster coil cord. Self installed, total cost under $1400.00. Pull the IOD fuse and you're ready to go.
My 2007 does have a steering lock so we tow in ACC position