Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #1
2011/2012 Jeep cylinder head issues and customer service

Got a quick "kudos" story about Chrysler/Jeep. I will try and make it quick anyway. We have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. In December the check engine light came on and we noticed a rough running engine. I did some research and found some likely caused such as fuel/ignition issues. I started there hoping it would be an easy fix.

First we did a check of the light. The code was a cylinder 5 mis fire. Tried a tune up first. Changed the plugs, coil and wires. Nothing. Next we started running sea foam through the engine and using only super unleaded. Nothing.

I started doing some research and found that this engine has a history of cylinder head issues. Most commonly on the 3.6 liter engine, but not on our engine which is the same engine, but just a different displacement at 3.8 liters. Same symptoms though with a cylinder mis fire specifically on cylinders 1,2 (I think) and 5.

Since the easy fixes did not work we took it into the jeep dealer. We dropped it off first week of March and the warranty had already expired the month before. They diagnosed and doing that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. That was going to be a $2K invoice.

I called Chrysler customer service and plead my case. Pointed out the 3.6 liter engine has the same issues and found out during the conversation that Chrysler is extending the warranty on the 3.6 up to 150K miles because of this. They created a case and said they would make a decision and let us know. They called back yesterday and told us that not only are they going to cover the entire repair, but extend our warranty for another three years!!

We are super stoked and wanted to post this here in case it could benefit anyone. The 3.6 liter pentastar engine "I think" is in the Jeep Liberty's. This is the motor that they will cover up to 150K miles for the cylinder head issues under what is effectively a silent recall. The wranglers have the 3.8 liter engine. I'm not sure about the year models exactly, but in my research I found that it was mostly 2011 and 2012 that had these cylinder head issues.

swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
While we've owned 8 different Jeep Wrangers, CJs, YJs, and TJs, we've not had the pleasure of owning any "JKs". And it is to my understanding that, the year models of JK, from 2007 to 2011 had the smaller, way less powerful V-6 (using an existing motor) that was not very conservative on gas and, the overall satisfaction of folks with this era JK, was not all that good.

But, the 2012 and newer models with the newer, re-designed V-6 say it's much more powerful, get's way better gas mileage and, the overall satisfaction is considerably higher.

As for the mechanical reliability of either engine, I cannot speak for. The 4.0L straight 6 that Jeep used ever since the YJ era, all the way up to the beginning of the JK era, was a pretty good, reliable, semi-enough power, medium gas mileage engine.

It is good to hear and read of your story of help from a manufacturer in this day and age of "denyability". I hope your Jeep keeps on going now with lots of fun and adventure.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Now that it is fixed, I'd replace it with a newer one, with the 3.6 engine. A couple of months ago JP mag. had a article about all the problems the older 3.8 had. Dave
Tiffin 32CA 2012
2007 Jeep Liberty
allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Now that it is fixed, I'd replace it with a newer one, with the 3.6 engine. A couple of months ago JP mag. had a article about all the problems the older 3.8 had. Dave

That was the plan, but now that they have covered the work and extended the warranty then maybe we will keep it. At least for a little while longer.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
I purchased a JKU this past fall which replaced a 99 wrangler which I used to push snow and my old Saab which was getting tired. My X wife had a 08 JKU

The 3.8L doesn't have the low end grunt that the old 4.0L had however mpg was better. Usually average 18 mpg in the 08 JKU manual and would get over 20mog highway. I would only get 12 mpg on a good day with the 99 wrangler which was a auto.

My 16 JKU RHR I have been getting 16-18 mpg, it's a auto with 8.4K miles. Huge improvement in power with the 3.6L, I prefer it to the old 4.0L. It's also not big on low end torque but it revs so much better vs the 3.8 and has a lot more power everywhere. The problem is, I keep looking at turbo kits for the thing
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote