Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #15

We still don't have the Escape. Hopefully before vacation!

Question for those that do tow an escape, do you use anything to keep rocks, etc. from damaging the front of the towed vehicle? I have a mud flap on the back of the RV and it does have a long overhang.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #16

I put a Rock Solid on our previous MH (Kodiak based) because it was giving us a lot of chips on our Tahoe. Our Itasca has good sized mud guards the two rear wheels and we've now towed the Escape 2500 miles and so far so good for the towing - and no chips in the paint. If you have the same rear full mud guard we had with our 04 Journey you should be OK. We towed a Colorado with it and no chips.

Don

Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed the UltraGuard Splash Guard. No problems with chips and it doesn't look bad.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #18

I have a 2009 Ford Escape 4WD. After Ford lowered fluid level for flat towing per the TSB, it's bin towed from PA to FL round trip twice plus several short trips with no problem!

beejay25
2009 Escape 4WD
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
BUT, I assume yours is 2WD. We wanted AWD and you can't put ANY AWD vehicle on a dolly to tow -must be a trailer with all four wheels off the road. When we bought our 2011 V6 there was not a Hybrid Escape to found at any dealer in Canada so it was not even an alternative.

Update. We've now towed our 2011 V6 AWD Escape Limited over 2500 miles and it still running just fine.

That's great news cause we;re in the process of dealing on a 2011 Escape 4WD right now. Was seriously considering a Jeep Wrangler but was having a hard time with there fuel milage and have always been a Ford guy. So the reason for the switch

Trap
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #20

Hopefully, we will have ours the middle of next week.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutensteve View Post
Dan,
We tow an 07 Mariner Hybrid 4WD. We love it ! It is simple to hook up, just put transmission in neutral and good to go. The only issue has been finding a supplemental braking system that works with the Hybrid system. We found that Roadmaster has a system that works and I'm having it installed next week...
what is the issue/concern with Hybrid and supplemental braking? would the brake buddy type system work?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
what is the issue/concern with Hybrid and supplemental braking? would the brake buddy type system work?

Yes a brake buddy type system will work fine. Be sure to connect a 12v charging circuit in the connection to the MH to keep the battery charged while towing and the brake buddy does use some electric for the internal compressor.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutensteve View Post
Dan,
We tow an 07 Mariner Hybrid 4WD. We love it ! It is simple to hook up, just put transmission in neutral and good to go. The only issue has been finding a supplemental braking system that works with the Hybrid system. We found that Roadmaster has a system that works and I'm having it installed next week. I had not heard of any transmission problems and we have about 52,000 miles on ours.
I installed the U.S. Gear system on our 08 Escape Hybrid 4WD. Works like a champ and it is setup for the Hydro Assist brakes that the Escape has

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
And that "procedure" can get pretty intrusive - something like stopping alongside the road every hour or so, go back to the Escape, start the engine for 10 minutes or so, move the shifter thru all the ranges a few times, then head on out for another hour or so...
We have towed our 08 Escape Hybrid for over 35,000 miles and no issues at all. I have never seen anything written that has the proceedures you state.... I normally drive 300-500 miles a day and all I do is start the vehicle each morning before we pull out.

I believe the transmission problem on the non-hybrid versions did have a transmission problem that was solved with a baffle in the oil pan... the transmission fluid was frothing i.e. bubbling out the dipstick tube. Apparently the Hybrid version never had the issue as they have been flat towable since 2005. The non-hybrid version started with the 2009 being flat towable. I don't have facts to back it up but I suspect that some 2009s had 2008 transmissions thus increasing the problem.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #25

I own a 2011 escape FWD 1500 miles. It is now at a dealership in Lexington KY getting the transmission replaced. Purchasing Dealership adjusted the ATF level and I followed the manual for placing into tow mode and stopped at 5 hrs into to trip to have lunch start vehicle. It was smoking and would not start. Had it towed 100 miles to a dealership that could work on it. Boy am I P...ed.

PS. No one can tell me what went wrong or what to do different.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #26

I think we'd all be po'd as well. Ford is getting a pretty severe black eye IMO. If I were them I'd do something concrete and soon. We've towed 2500 miles with ours and no problems BUT situations like yours can't help us live on the edge of our seats when we are travelling.

I sure hope it turns out to be something other than flat towing that caused the problem, but I'm not holding my breath for that hope.

A fellow on the FMCA forum just has the transmission in his Fusion burn out (new) and what amazed me was that he was not aware of the fluid issue and his had not been adjusted (and his dealer knew he was going to tow it).

Another issue is whether or not the dealer got the transmission fluid level lowered properly. It sure is difficult to read that dip stick.

Please keep us posted.

Don
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2011 Escape 4WD made it almost 140 miles before it started smoking and blew fluid out the trans breather all over. Dealer had just done the trans level certify. Trans was so hot the fluid was bubbling on the case. Towed it into a dealer and left it for repair to pickup on return from vacation. Dealer could not fix in time as parts were quite a few days out. On return, rented a Uhaul car hauler and towed it back to my selling dealer. They had it just over 2 weeks while they worked with Ford engineer. There is an updated transmission and I was told they would get one off production and ship to dealer. Tech diagnosis was all plastics in trans were melted, planetaries were destroyed and came apart. Clutch packs were destroyed also. We just got the escape back 2 days ago, it drives and feels normal as it did but we are very nervous about towing on another trip, but we are planning a 600 mile roundtrip and will stop every 200 miles and do the start and gear sequence etc. My neighbor has a 2011 Escape also, same everything and he has towed his about 1200 miles with no problems at all. We will see after next trip.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #28

well I hate to say it sounds like most everyone is having the same problem. towed my escape to Florida after I had the fluid level lowered on the way back home stopped in chatanogga tn for the night car would not go into park or into another gear. got the car back to colorado dropped it off at ford dealer he called two days later saying that ford was sending them a new updated transmission for it. got it back seemed to worked just fine towed it down to gunnison from Denver and car seems to work ok but still not sure I could still smell burring oil like it overflowed some where I believe I will take it back and have them check it out.