Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #29

Got mine back. It cost Ford $5200 + to replace the transmission in the 2011 Escape.

Tech told me to keep the ATF as low as possible. When hot, I checked it and it was at the add mark on the dip stick.

Funny thing, There is another person in the campground that has a 2009 Mariner. He does not check the ATF level, tows at 60 to 70 MPH and does not stop after 6 hrs. Has towed 20,000 miles and no problems.

So what is the difference? who knows!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj30909 View Post
Funny thing, There is another person in the campground that has a 2009 Mariner. He does not check the ATF level, tows at 60 to 70 MPH and does not stop after 6 hrs. Has towed 20,000 miles and no problems.

So what is the difference? who knows!
Is the Mariner a Hybrid? If so there is your answer as the Hybrids have been 4 down since 2005 and have a different transmission. If not Hybrid then he is just lucky! We have an 08 Escape Hybrid, over 30,000 miles being towed and never had a problem and never bother to stop or make sure the fuild is lower than normal.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #31

texnet,

It was a nonhybrid escape.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #32

Just got my 2009 Escape back with a new transmission. Had Ford check fluid level and give me a work order stating same one week before towing. Burned up less than 2 hours after fuel stop and running 5 minutes thru the gears.

I am thinking what is the different between motorhomes that some burn up transmissions and some do not? Could it be airflow under motorhome and car?

I have a full width heavy rubber flap a couple of inches off road on rear bumper, is this blocking air and causing overheating of transmission?

What to you have on your motorhome and have you had any problems or not?

Thanks
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #33

beejay25,

I have a full mud flap and use a tow defender. I towed mine twice before at 150 miles each and no problems. I went to lowes and purchased a remote grill thermometer that can read up to 100 ft away. Placed the probe on top of the trans with foil tape. Normal operating temp while driving is 175. If approaching that while towing I'll shut it down and sart it up to allow cooling.

Leaving tomorrow, we'll see if it works.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #34

Quote:
beejay25,

I have a full mud flap and use a tow defender. I towed mine twice before at 150 miles each and no problems. I went to lowes and purchased a remote grill thermometer that can read up to 100 ft away. Placed the probe on top of the trans with foil tape. Normal operating temp while driving is 175. If approaching that while towing I'll shut it down and sart it up to allow cooling.

Great idea AJ. I talked to an automotive engineer friend about this yesterday and he consulted with another engineer friend of his. They are curious about this. He suggested using and indoor/outdoor remote thermometer but I said it would probably melt given the heat. You solved the problem by buying something built to take the heat. NOW, please tell us which model you bought and where you bought it.

I was thinking of getting another ScanGauge II and checking transmission fluid temp when stopping. It would be nice if the ScanGauge folks could add a remote unit so we could read details in the MH cab.

Thanks for the great tip.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #35

shadow,

Purchased at lowes, it was the only remote grill thermometer they had, don't remember the brand. It has a probe that you usually stick in meat, I taped it to a flat spot on the trans. It will not measure ATF temp but will measure the trans case temp which should be below the ATF temp. I have a base line of 175 when driving it. If it gets near this temp I believe the ATF will be higher. Then I can stop and let it cool down, hopefully prevent another trans failure.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #36

Quote:
shadow,

Purchased at lowes, it was the only remote grill thermometer they had, don't remember the brand. It has a probe that you usually stick in meat, I taped it to a flat spot on the trans. It will not measure ATF temp but will measure the trans case temp which should be below the ATF temp. I have a base line of 175 when driving it. If it gets near this temp I believe the ATF will be higher. Then I can stop and let it cool down, hopefully prevent another trans failure.
Whenever we stop I jump out, run back to the Escape, pop the hood, check the temp of the transmission housing with an infrared thermometer (often 160 or a bit above) and then pull the stick and feel how hot the fluid seems to be.

We have a couple of the units with the metal prob and I'm going to see if one of them is still working. If not I'm going to buy one. Did you place the control/transmission unit under the hood?

Tx

Don
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #37

shadow,

Probe and trnsmitter under hood. Probe on trans, transmitter near battery sice it is plastic. Display wherever you want up to 100 ft.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #38

Quote:
beejay25,

AJ if I am thinking right about air flow your tow defender should channel the air under car for better cooling. We will see if we get more information from other. I realy like your remote temp senor idea.
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #39

aj got mine back was around the same dollar amount then I towed it over fourth of July and when we stopped and was going to drive it we could smell burning oil and transmission fluid was leaking out too.took it back to ford and they just put more fluid in it and said to keep an eye on the fluid level. my question is where is it leaking out of I know it's not coming out of the dip stick but don't know where. I am confused!!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #40

Triple E Owners Club
Well I just bought a 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid. I do not have a dip stick for the tranny. The only dip stick is the engine oil level. The tranny is sealed. My manual says for flat towing are to put the tranny into N, leave the key in the ACC position and not to tow over 75 mph. I am putting on the base plates next week then taking off for a 2,000 mile trip. Sure hope all goes will.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Well I just bought a 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid. I do not have a dip stick for the tranny. The only dip stick is the engine oil level. The tranny is sealed. My manual says for flat towing are to put the tranny into N, leave the key in the ACC position and not to tow over 75 mph. I am putting on the base plates next week then taking off for a 2,000 mile trip. Sure hope all goes will.
Don't forget to add brake/tail/turn signal lights and auxiliary brakes as they are required in most states.

You might also want to get a non-chip key made for the ignition. That way you can use it instead of leaving a start key for the thiefs!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
No problems ever reported (at least that I've seen) with the Hybrid. You can forget this thread now.

Don