Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #43

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Don't forget to add brake/tail/turn signal lights and auxiliary brakes as they are required in most states.

You might also want to get a non-chip key made for the ignition. That way you can use it instead of leaving a start key for the thiefs!
10-4 I forgot to mention that. However on the key I cannot find anyone who will make one. The places that I have gone to have told me that a dummy key will foul up the electronic and will need to be reprogrammed. I do have the key pad on the door so I can lock the car and use the key pad to unlock the door.

Don, Thank you for the heads up.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
However on the key I cannot find anyone who will make one. The places that I have gone to have told me that a dummy key will foul up the electronic and will need to be reprogrammed.
We have been using a non-chip key for over 2 years with our 08 escape. The window is the only lock the thiefs need to open to use the key in the ignition!

I had a key made at a hardware store. Don't bother with Ford as they don't carry the key blanks!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #45

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks, I would feel allot better with a non-chip key. I will keep trying. The last place I went to said that a tow truck had to be called to tow the car from the hardware store to the ford shop. But hard telling what really happen.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #46

I got a no-chip key from the Ford dealer and had it cut at the local locksmith.

On the transmission issues, is there a difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder transmissions?

Dan
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #47

Triple E Owners Club
On my 2011 Escapee Hybrid the steering wheel does not lock. I do not know if this is true for the previous years or just this year.

So,,,, I am wondering,,,, why would you need to install a key?

I have ask the Ford Dealer and their reply is "do what the owners manual says".
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
On my 2011 Escapee Hybrid the steering wheel does not lock. I do not know if this is true for the previous years or just this year.

So,,,, I am wondering,,,, why would you need to install a key?

I have ask the Ford Dealer and their reply is "do what the owners manual says".
When you pull the key out the steering wheel should lock. It it doesn't then you need to take your vehicle back to Ford as the anti-thief device has been tampered with.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #49

Triple E Owners Club
I verified this with Ford. They state that on the 2011Hybrid the steering wheel does not lock. Go figure. This is why I ask them then why should I need a key in ACC while towing? That is when they said to do what the manual said.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #50

Quote:
I verified this with Ford. They state that on the 2011Hybrid the steering wheel does not lock. Go figure. This is why I ask them then why should I need a key in ACC while towing? That is when they said to do what the manual said.

Just like on the Explorer and Lincolns that have the keyless ignition, the vehicle needs to be in accessory mode so that the vehicle security system does not arm while being towed.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
the vehicle needs to be in accessory mode so that the vehicle security system does not arm while being towed.
I had wondered about the reasoning for placing my 2010 Escape in accessory position since the wheel will turn in the off position as long as the key isn't removed. My question: how will the security system arm if you leave the door unlocked and even if it was armed, why would that be a bad thing.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #52

Horn blaring while going down the road is not a good thing.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree but the horn will only blare when the system is "activated" not "armed". Does anyone else have an answer to the reason for placing key in "accessory" position for towing ??
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #54

Towing the truck down the road while 'armed' can casue the alarm to 'activate'. The security sytem incorporates a motion detector and tilt sensor among other sensors. Guess my previous simple response did not connect the dots.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

This may not concern the question about towing a 2011 Ford Escape four down but I figured I would throw it out just for info.

I have a 2011 Ford Escape Limited FWD and tow it on a Roadmaster Tow Dolly with no problems. The steering wheel does not lock and the straps have to be very tight to hold the steering wheels in the right position. It tows very nicely behind the RV and I do have a Rock Solid Flap on the rear on the RV.

Lastly I am concerned why unless you live in the snowy Northern US why you need AWD or 4WD in a car that performs super with FWD? You must also realize that a 4WD car stops the same as a FWD car. I find that any of the front wheel drive cars I have had give me all the traction I need and if the weather is really bad then stay home. The only problem I have had with FWD is going downhill in a snow storm and you can't downshift because you will lock up front wheels hence no steering, however I solved the problem by easing up on the emegency brake putting some drag on the rear wheels and went down with no problem.

This was just my 2 cents worth.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #56

Tom, you may be OK in NC, but if you were travelling north 500 miles you would find conditions different. We drive the Escape Toad back from Florida twice during the winter - once in mid December returning to FLA in early January with our FLex and then again at the end of February staying only a couple of days and returning with the Escape. In February this year we hit really rotten conditions in Ohio and Michigan and we were very pleased we had the AWD. In 1996 I made the trip home from Hilton Head in January (you may remember the massive dump we had along the east coast that year) and my vehicle was a FWD Town and Country LXi. We made it OK but it was REALLY uncomfortable.

Surprisingly, we found another use for AWD in the sun. We've seen people get stuck in the sand at a beach in FLA where those of us with AWD did not get stuck.

I think it is a matter of where you live, the length of your drivewau (our two previous homes which we had for 23 years) had driveways that were over 200 ft long. Darned if I want to have to shovel them before driving up the hill every time it shows. One of them was also on the Niagara Escarpment and the only RWD car I've had in over 25 years could not make it up the 500 ft in heavy snow without sliding backwards. I had to park it in town and have my son pick me up in our other vehicle that was AWD.

Where we are now we could argue that we don't need AWD (before we moved here my son told me it rarely snows much in Detroit/Windsor ha ha) but last fall we swapped an AWD Equinox for the AWD Escape Ltd and a Tahoe LTX for a Flex LTD AWD - and we don't regret it one bit.

Of course, you can't tow an AWD on a dolly. As I recall, you've towing an FWD on a dolly for a long time (well, at least since we first attended a rally together - was it 2004 in Maine?

I guess you traded a Chev for the Escape? If you look at the side of your gear shifter you should find a little button. Look at page 224 or your Escape operators manual and you will see the information on the grade assist feature.

Don