Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay25 View Post
aj30909
Where did you get the Transmission Temperature probe for the transmission at the drain plug location and the gauge you installed in the motorhome? Any info like web page and part numbers would be wonderful. I would like to copy you.

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing. Would be a lot more effective than the ScanGauge which does not operate when the ignition is in the acc position.

I was just talking to my son (an engineer in the auto mfr biz) and told him about this probe mentioned and he thought that would be ideal in conjunction with remote start (which we have on our Escape). Get a high temperature reading and use the remote start to run the engine until you see it come down to an acceptable value - all without having to stop.

That reminds me of a guy at our park in FLA. I had heard that in the late 90s he towed a Chev Venture van down to FLA behind a DP. When I said "hey, that van wasn't towable" he said, "oh, no problem, I just ran the engine all the way down. Much easier than having a lube pump installed." The guy owned a GM dealership, so what could I say.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #16

Found another possible solution at 2009 Ford Escape Dinghy – Flat Towing Problems | Malia's Miles Blog scroll way down to Thomas J. Brown Jr. both coments. He installed a 10 inch Hayden cooling fan blowing down on transmission while towing, powered by motorhome. I talked to Brown on the phone and he is most helpful, explained the 10 inch fan lays on the transmission dipstick and cables attached by one tywrap so you just rotate the fan up to check fluid level.

Quotes from Brown

:Hello all, just wanted to let everyone know that I completed over 3000 miles roundtrip from Killeen/Fort Hood to St. Louis Mo., through the mountains in West Va. and finally on to Bedford Va. and back in blistering temperatures and towing most of the time at the 65 mph max. towing speed and I had absolutely zero problems!!!!!!!!!! The Hayden cooling fan works flawlessly and it fits like it came from the factory that way (maybe it should have). "

"This is the longest I have ever gone on a transmission when flat towing. This latest trip, I consider to be the ultimate test since it was almost done exclusively in triple digit heat!!!!! "

I think I want to use aj30909's transmission gauge and Brown's cooling fan as the best protection from burning up my 3th transmission.
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
If one buys a vehicle to flat tow it, and the manufacturer decides that it no longer warranties it, what happens to the consumer?
Having gone through this with Honda over our '05 Odyssey and having it go almost to binding arbitration I can say that you should get a full buyback. In our case Honda offered to pay for the towing gear we bought and had installed. We took the money and bought a dolly.
We even had it in writing on Honda letterhead stating that the '05 Odyssey was towable four down and the procedure.
Now that I have seen other '05 Ody's being towed and our warranty is gone I've decided to tow it four down again. So far so good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #18

Does anyone have information on:

Does the 2013 Ford Escape have the same transmission as in previous year models?

Are folks still having big transmission problems towing the Escape?
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougburi View Post
Does anyone have information on:

Does the 2013 Ford Escape have the same transmission as in previous year models?

I've been wondering the same thing - is it still the 6F35 six speed? I haven't been able to determine which model transmission will be used but I have found that the transmission ratios for all six gears for 2013 are identical to the 2011-12 models - so my guess is it will have the 6F35. If that is the case the question then will be whether or not Ford designates it as towable.

Don
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougburi View Post
Haven't read of any problems recently but I assume there are still some issues out there. In my view, those that have had problems either 1) haven't had the transmission oil level adjusted properly 2) haven't followed indicated procedures properly or 3) just got a bad transmission to start with. I have read as many or more posts that state no problems as those that have.

I participate on a Ford Escape forum which lists all kinds of tranny problems even for those that don't tow. Does that mean all Escape trannys are bad? It is a popular vehicle and there are thousands out there so IMO the tranny failure percentage is very low.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote