Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

2011 escape transmission problem/solution

Have read a lot of discussions about transmission problems while flat towing 2009 and 2010 ford escape. I just had the transmission replaced in my 2011 FWD escape V6 with a 6 speed auto transmission. Ford picked up the repair costs. But now I am not sure what to do next to prevent it from happening again.

I am experimenting with a remote grill thermometer with the probe taped to a flat spot of the top of the transmission. The thermometer it to transmit up to 100 ft, but I do no get a constant reading on the display in the drivers seat of the motorhome. The other day it got to 213 F. Thought that was a little high, although ambient was 95F.

Looked at a scan gauge, but need 60 ft of cable to get the motorhome dash. Also quite pricy and a lot more info than needed.

Does any one know of a trans temp gauge that I can monitor tow trans temp in the drivers seat of the motorhome?

As a last resort Remco noe makes a pump for escapes, also pricy $900+.

Looking for a reasonable priced trans temp gauge that I can read in the motorhome.
aj30909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Prior to your transmission failure, did you have the service bulletin done to lower the fluid level? Not sure if required for a 2011. I have a 2010 model and have not had a problem towing 8000 miles. The dealer removed about a quart of fluid to get the level correct for towing. Transmission temp must be at 170 degress to do this.
After a day of towing the transmission shows no sign of any temperatue change. Just a little warm when checking the dip stick. Perhaps you could tow the caar a while and check the temp manually. You may not need a temp sender??
Dick_Wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Yes , was all set up by dealer. Verifierd again when new trans was installed. As I mentioned, the trans temp went to 213F while towing. Drove afterward and all was OK.

Looking for a thermocouple or sending unit that I can read from the drivers seat of the motor home.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We we're seriously looking at getting an Escape, but all the transmission failures I was reading about, made us look at and get a Jeep Liberty and I'm a diehard Ford guy.

The problems with the Ford seem to keep happening enough so that Remco now makes a transmission Lube pump for the Escape.

I think if you want to keep he escape and avoid future problems I would seriosly consider adding the pump.

This may not be what you want to hear, but the problem doesn't seem to go away, there's enough reports of the 2011 having some failures now too.

Good Luck with whatever direction you go.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or do like my friend did after 4 transmission replacements in less than 2500 miles... buy a tow dolly.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

Escape Trans overheating

I have had two overheating (oil puked out into engine comp., undercarrige, and onto tailgate) issues with '10 Escape V6 AWD. Both times it seemed to happen after about 4 hours of towing, and knowing I had more than 2 more hours to go, I (according to owners manual instructions) started the engine and ran it through each gear, for a total of five minutes or more. Then about less than 100 miles down the road, it overheated and started smoking to let passing traffic to let me know "your car is smoking". I have followed the towing instructions to the "T", level adjusted, proper towing speed, etc, etc. Fortunately the tranny still functions okay, and of course the service dept. at the dealer figures it was my fault. I even had the service manager tell that that towing level had to be adjusted to normal if I was going to drive it normally, and I was so PO'd by that point I forgot to point out to him that it states in the O.M> that the towing level is fine for normal use. What to do? Have to check with my neighbor who just dropped his Escape off with a totally shot tranny he had to drag all the way back from Montana. Ford Customer Care says I need to talk to my service manager........ Help?
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #7

Had mine replaced in a 2011 escape. ford picked up the costs.

Here is what I do now.

Have the fluid adjusted by Ford.

Had Ford install a Transmission Temperature probe in the transmission at the drasin plug location (at my cost). Installed a Transmission temperature guage in the motor home so I can see car's trans temp while driving ( installed myself). Installed on a plug un wiring harness so I could remove and place in my car if needed.

Took car for a test drive with new instrument to assure myself the level was appropriate. It took a 25 mile run on a 90degree day to get the temp up to 185. Verified level was ok.

Took two trips so far with the new trans temp guage. It got to 170 degrees after about 6 hour driving time, with a stop in between to run the engine. I noticed by running the engine ,the temp actually went up a few degrees, then came back down when being towed.

Also when putting into tow mode do not turn off the key and put back to first notch. Go from run directly to accessory. Otherwise it will cancel the tow mode.

If Ford say to put more fluid in it to run normally, find another dealer that can read the manual. This is not required by the manual. Ask for the regional engineer to review the issue.

My Ford dealer had him on the phone and mentioned I was towing an escape. Before My dealer even could say the transmission was burned up, the regional engineer stated he burned up the trans didn't he.

Yes Ford knows about the problem. I am confident these vehicles can be towed. Now I can see if the trans temp exceeds ooerating I will pull over and allow to cool down. I believe a high ambient temp and diesel exhaust can raise the trans temp also.

Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #8

Will hit the road here soon, I will make sure of the ON to ACC sequence with the key, have always left in ACC, will double check to see how it gets there. Thanx
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed my 2010 Escape for almost two years with no problems. On a recent trip, I connected my ScanGauge set up for TFT readings and after an hour or two of towing, my normal stop schedule, the temp reading was in the 140's usually with a high reading at one stop of 160. While driving, I have recorded temps as high as 230 but according to my manual, normal is 180 to 200 degrees.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are in the process of buying a 2012 Escape. Does anyone know if this problem has been taken care of in the 2012s?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #11

Not sure about the '12s, and I had originally read that the problem was with '09s and earlier, unfortunately...... What is so frustrating about this problem is that is you end up being paranoid about the trans overheating as it appears to do it randomly. What is really scary is that Ford and GM went together to develop a 6speed automatic, and now Chev says that the Cobalt with the 6speed was but is no longer towable. If one buys a vehicle to flat tow it, and the manufacturer decides that it no longer warranties it, what happens to the consumer? I don't know if this the same transmission in the Cobalt as is used in the Escape, hopefully not. I'm waiting to see what happens with my friends '09 Escape 2wd whose trans let go completely. Apparently the Regional Service rep happened to be in the service bay when his Escape was dropped off and was telling the local Service manager that this not an unknown problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
Not sure about the '12s, and I had originally read that the problem was with '09s and earlier, unfortunately...... What is so frustrating about this problem is that is you end up being paranoid about the trans overheating as it appears to do it randomly. What is really scary is that Ford and GM went together to develop a 6speed automatic, and now Chev says that the Cobalt with the 6speed was but is no longer towable. If one buys a vehicle to flat tow it, and the manufacturer decides that it no longer warranties it, what happens to the consumer? I don't know if this the same transmission in the Cobalt as is used in the Escape, hopefully not. I'm waiting to see what happens with my friends '09 Escape 2wd whose trans let go completely. Apparently the Regional Service rep happened to be in the service bay when his Escape was dropped off and was telling the local Service manager that this not an unknown problem.

Is it the Cobalt? I thought it was the Cruze or maybe its both.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #13

It is the Cruze.

I just borrowed my son's ScanGauge2 and installed it in our 2011 Escape (well, he installed it). My ScanGauge doesn't have the transmission fluid temp but I can send it back and they will modify it. My son bought his a couple of years later to specifically the transmission fluid temp as he tows a race trailer behind his Avalanche. My son put the codes in for Ford but we did NOT get a reading for TFT (actually, we named it TFE so we can distinquish between the Escape code and Avalanche code) He then did a search on Ford forums and found updated codes and it worked - well, it provides a number.

I've got it set to provide transmission fluid temp, water temp, instant mpg and average mpg. DW doesn't even look at it but when I drive it I look at it regularly as it is right in front of my eyes. After we put it on and I drove about 18 miles at highway speed and it did NOT go above 166 degrees. I read a Ford TSB that states that the fluid temp should be over 185 to get a proper test of the fluid level. I'm beginning to wonder just how hot it was when the dealer lowered the level and certified it. Next week we head to Florida and we will get our first chance to check the temp (whenever we stop) when being towed.

Anyone have any idea if the power used for the ScanGauge can possibly drain the battery over 5 or 6 hours. I wouldn't think so but.........

Water temp has been showing about 207 with ambient temp of 60 degrees. That makes me wonder what it will be when we get to Florida? Can anyone using a ScanGauge let me know what they are getting for water temp and at what ambient temps?

Since this time last fall we've towed the 2011 Escape 3000 miles. Using an infrared thermometer on the transmission housing I've been getting temps around 170 degrees so I'm very curious about the fluid temp when towing.

Thanks

Don
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

aj30909
Where did you get the Transmission Temperature probe for the transmission at the drain plug location and the gauge you installed in the motorhome? Any info like web page and part numbers would be wonderful. I would like to copy you.

Thanks
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote