Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

2011 Explorer

So we recently bought a new Explorer Limited 4WD. It can be flat towed and we plan on installing the Blue Ox baseplate, but in the owners manual it says not to exceed 65mph. Why is this? Is it okay to exceed 65? Because that might be a problem. Also I have a question about the push-button start. Can we tow this thing without the ignition being on? Im sick of having to jump the battery every trip. It doesnt seem to have a steering wheel lock.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
paz

Voleurz, welcome to iRV2.

Our Saturn Vue has a 65 mph speed limit for towing. These limits are sometimes imposed because the manufacturer is afraid the towed vehicle may become unstable at higher speeds and sometimes because transmission damage may occur if towed at higher speeds for extended periods. I occasionally exceed 65 mph with our Vue such as when passing or when descending a hill, but I normally drive 62-64 mph on the interstate.

As far as leaving your ignition switch off, check the owners manual. There should be a section called "Recreational Towing" or something similar that should give full instructions for towing. If the switch has to be on and the battery goes dead, there may be a fuse that you're supposed to pull. If not, you may need something like the Toad-Charge.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voleurz View Post
So we recently bought a new Explorer Limited 4WD. It can be flat towed and we plan on installing the Blue Ox baseplate, but in the owners manual it says not to exceed 65mph. Why is this? Is it okay to exceed 65? Because that might be a problem. Also I have a question about the push-button start. Can we tow this thing without the ignition being on? Im sick of having to jump the battery every trip. It doesnt seem to have a steering wheel lock.

65 is the limit that they test the thermal stability for towing. IE you might get away with towing a bit faster, but Ford wants no responsibility for it. There are few places that towing faster than 65 is legal anyway. You are on your own either way.

Your car should be in accessories mode, not ignition on. For the push button start, accessories mode is activated by pressing the start button WITHOUT your foot on the brake pedal. The accessory power will shut down in about 30 minutes but the vehicle security system will not activate. All of this and other requirements are covered in your owners manual under 'Recreational Towing'. Please take the time to read it.

You should not have a dead battery from this. Now, if you are using a brake buddy or other braking system that uses power from the Explorer, it will need a charge controller and 12v power from the RV. Vally Towing and Brake Buddy both sell toad charge controllers for under $25.

The newer series Fords with pushbutton start do not have steering wheel locks.

Please fire back if you have other questions on towing the Explorer. Someone here will help.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
...but in the owners manual it says not to exceed 65mph. Why is this? Is it okay to exceed 65? Because that might be a problem....
Seeing that this is your first post, let me welcome you to iRV2. We're glad to have you with us.

With no disrespect intended, just how fast do you want to tow that Explorer if holding it down to 65 MPH is a problem?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as the battery drain, my friend towed a 2010 Ford Fusion and the battery would go dead in a matter of a few hours and I won't even get into the transmission failures. He had so many problems with the car that Ford got him out of it for another Fusion with less than 4000 miles and three transmissions later. He had to agree to dolly tow rather than 4 down. This probably has no relationship to the Explorer but then again it may.

I'm like Rusty, just how fast do you want/need to drive?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What are you towing it with?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #7

I'm not towing it... my Dad is. Im 17 but i'm the only person in the family that knows anything about cars. We have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. We used to tow an '08 Sport Trac with the neutral tow kit installed. It went through one transfer case because it wasn't disconnecting properly. and the key has to be in the on position, and I don't know what drains the battery but its nearly always flat when we arrive.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
As far as the battery drain, my friend towed a 2010 Ford Fusion and the battery would go dead in a matter of a few hours and I won't even get into the transmission failures. He had so many problems with the car that Ford got him out of it for another Fusion with less than 4000 miles and three transmissions later. He had to agree to dolly tow rather than 4 down. This probably has no relationship to the Explorer but then again it may.

I'm like Rusty, just how fast do you want/need to drive?
Well we live in Canada and the speed limit on the freeways here is 110. Which is somewhere around 70. Im just making sure that the transmisison is not going to explode if we hit 66...
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Well we live in Canada and the speed limit on the freeways here is 110. Which is somewhere around 70. Im just making sure that the transmisison is not going to explode if we hit 66...

Best check your speed limits again. Limits for trucks and vehicles towing are usually lower.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an older Explorer and had problems with battery going dead. It was reccomended to me to use a small solar charger that plugged into the cars cigar lighter and would recharge the Toads battery. Usually worked but one trip the sun never shinned and it drained the battery. I stopped at a trailer shop and they reccomended that I install a small trickle charger that is normally in the battery box of a small trailer and keeps the tiny battery that is used in it's system charged. That was hard wired to the battery and to the hot wire that plugs into the coach. I have had no trouble since.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
65 is the limit that they test the thermal stability for towing. IE you might get away with towing a bit faster, but Ford wants no responsibility for it. There are few places that towing faster than 65 is legal anyway. You are on your own either way.

Your car should be in accessories mode, not ignition on. For the push button start, accessories mode is activated by pressing the start button WITHOUT your foot on the brake pedal. The accessory power will shut down in about 30 minutes but the vehicle security system will not activate. All of this and other requirements are covered in your owners manual under 'Recreational Towing'. Please take the time to read it.

You should not have a dead battery from this. Now, if you are using a brake buddy or other braking system that uses power from the Explorer, it will need a charge controller and 12v power from the RV. Vally Towing and Brake Buddy both sell toad charge controllers for under $25.

The newer series Fords with pushbutton start do not have steering wheel locks.

Please fire back if you have other questions on towing the Explorer. Someone here will help.

x2
thank you for reading the book and putting it here, if his book is as huge as ours it takes a while to get through
our edge towed just fine at or near 65 as well

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...n%20Towing.pdf

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...0You%20Tow.pdf

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/41/11expog3e.pdf

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/41/11expog3e.pdf
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not have to drive the speed limit. That is posted as the MAXIMUM, provided road conditions allow the speed. we run 63 to 65 mph, even out in west texas where it is 75 or 80 MPH.