Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2011 Explorer Wiring

Just now putting in our order for the motohome and I am researching what needs to be done to tow our 2011 Explorer. The stumbling block seems to be in how to wire the Explore lights. One dealer stated that they drill a hole and add an extra bulb. Because of the Explorer tail light design I don't see how this can work, and I'd prefer to use the existing lighting if it can be done. Has someone wired, or had wired, one of the newer explorers? How was it done?

Thanks!
segel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The good thing about the extra bulb route is they run additional wire to the back for the new bulb. This saves messing with the vehicle wiring harness. I have had this done on several vehicles. Really painless.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

X2 Stuhly,
You do not want to cut into the harness on todays vehicles. Can lead to warranty issues down the road.

Here is a link to BlueOx where you will see a new kit they have using LED sockets that are very compact with the harness from front to back. They are either clear or red bulbs.
Blue Ox - Wiring Kits
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
i plan on using magnetic tow lights on my 2012 explorer
i don't want to go any where near the factory wiring
brianj
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #5

I wired my 08 with a seperate wire, using trailier light wiring, and added diodes at the fixtures to keep the electricity from back-feeding to the vehicle. That way I use the existing light bulbs. Your local RV store or hitch welding/installation store can sell you the diodes, I used the Roadmaster branded ones and they even included a wiring diagram, you just need one for each wire. You'll need at least 4, each tail light and each brake light. If you want to get fancy, you could even wire the back-up lights, although I personally didn't do that.
Loren R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

I just had my 2012 explorer wired w/ Roadmaster kit that I had Extreme Hitch in Denver install. Looks like he ran a 4 wire front to back and said he used diodes. Used existing tail lights. Works great. I also added a battery charger from Brake Buddy. My problem is I can't find a way to go thru the fire wall w/the wire for my breakaway switch. I am using the RVI brake system.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I just had my 2012 explorer wired w/ Roadmaster kit that I had Extreme Hitch in Denver install. Looks like he ran a 4 wire front to back and said he used diodes. Used existing tail lights. Works great. I also added a battery charger from Brake Buddy. My problem is I can't find a way to go thru the fire wall w/the wire for my breakaway switch. I am using the RVI brake system.
Look for other wires running through the firewall in rubber grommets. A little WD40 and you should be able to push the plug for the break away through beside the other wires.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Look for other wires running through the firewall in rubber grommets. A little WD40 and you should be able to push the plug for the break away through beside the other wires.
Try looking on the passenger side, there is a large grommet already there you can try to force another wire through. If not, you could also drill a 1/4" hole easily right about the top of your floor mats, without hitting anything else, that's where I ended up running my break-away wire. After I ran the wire through, I used a little silicone to seal it up. That also protects the wires from getting cut, like using a grommet. I did have to extend the wire substantially, but it was easier than trying to find somewhere on the drivers side to pass through.
Loren R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

Not sure what your Explorer lights look like, but I just set up my 2012 F150 for towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...x4-142661.html). As I stated in the report, I did the added bulb thing and I will never do that again. Do the diodes. One of the things I forgot to mention in the write-up was that this additional bulb is not sealed against the elements and has vent holes in the housing. All the Ford lights are sealed and have rubber seals. If over time this bothers me, I will just buy new housings and rewire with diodes.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just read on another thread where some guy ran a wire under the car, and up through a rubber grommet under the drivers seat. I think you could do a search on 2012 explorer and find the tread.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #11

For the break away wire I did find the rubber grommet behind the driver seat and ran the wire thru that and resealed w/ silicone. Thanks for the info, this Forum is great!!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring