Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2011 Ford Escape XLT towed?

I am thinking of trading my beautiful and most loved Saturn Outlook for something like this. It is not necessary for me to drive such a big and expensive vehicle when I want so badly to have a tow vehicle to take with the MH.

This is what I'm considering:

Vehicle Details - Edmunds.com

I like the Escape because it is easier to get into and my big fat butt and legs into, I need head room and hip room.

What say y'all? Is it easier to tow on a trailer if transmissions are a problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
According to Remco Towing, only the manual transmission model is towable 4 down, the automatic is not.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So I would have to tow on a trailer. Or a Front up towing? Friends said it's a lot more hassle to tow on a trailer or with the front up towing.....

I am ignorant to this, so why is it more hassle?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't think dolly towing is approved and dollies and trailers are more difficult to deal with as opposed to 4 down towing.

Give Remco a call for more info. They have a lot of experience with this.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2009 - 2011 Ford Escape
Application Notes
Lube Pump Kit solution is now available through your Ford Dealer. Kits available for vehicles containing Ford Transmission Model Number #6F35 Transmission.
Engine:
ALL
Drivetrain:
FWD/AWD
Transmission:
Automatic
Click here to tow your 2009 - 2011 FWD/AWD ALL Ford Escape

I am missing something.........
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
According to Remco Towing, only the manual transmission model is towable 4 down, the automatic is not.
I beg to differ with this statement......the 2011 Escape is towable four-down without modification per the owner's manual. What Remco says is a pump is "available" not "required". This issue is a hot one since some Escape owners have had transmission problems so Remco developed a pump and obviously is trying to sell it. I have towed my 2010 with NO problems.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I were you, I would reconsider an Escape. Read what an ordeal I have been through with mine, and Ford has in print in my Owners manual that this vehicle can be towed all four wheels down. Here is the link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...ms-135381.html
Stay away from the Ford Escape is my advice.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

I've towed my 2010 Escape for well over 13,000 miles with no trouble. Just follow the directions. Have the transmision fluid level lowered to the low end of acceptable, don't go over 65 mph, and start the engine, go thru the gears every 6 hours. This really quite simple to adhere to as we usually stop every 2-3 hours to change drivers and exercise the dog. I also exercise the transmission at this time. Only takes a few minutes. The Escape is a great tow vehicle!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gonna tow my Saturn Outlook instead...

Looks like I might just tow my Outlook instead.

I'm only 17,000 fully loaded and the car is 4600. Several others have towed vehicles in the 4000# range and had no issues as long as the total weight including the car is not over the coach recommendation, which it is not in my case...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

I'm no towable expert, but it seems to me there are lots of towables out there if the Escape doesn't fit the bill for you. Try this site for information:
Towing Guides - towing four wheels down
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #11

We have towed our Escape and have 21K on it. We chose the Escape over the Suzuki because of the wider dealer/service network, and being told the trans problems were a thing of the past. We have already had a trans rebuild, and since have had several issues of people pulling along side of us and telling us "your car is on fire!". I follow ALL the rules for towing (have previously towed a GTI, a Saturn, and a Suzuki with NO probs) and always have had the fluid level checked before towing by several dealers. Ford has offered to install the Remco "accessory" kit at OUR cost of $800 to remedy the overheating issues prevalent with the trans. Ford finally removed the 2012 Escape from the towable list, which is the identical drive train from 2010 and up. I am extremely dissappointed with the way Ford has sidestepped the issues with the Escape trans problems, and tries to come up with any way of faulting us to be the cause. The only Escape that doesn't share this problem is the Hybrid, which uses a different trans ( a CVT, I believe). I would strongly reccommend NOT buying an Escape to tow. The sad thing is that under normal driving conditions we love the car, it is just not suitable for towing, which is unfortunately why we picked it.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Pushrod, and everyone.

I am able to tow my Outlook, it fits within weight limits and that's the way I'm going to go when I do get to the point I can begin towing.

Thanks folks!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #13

I have towed a 2010 ford escape for about 25000 kms and just finished installing a lube pump after getting a new tranny under warranty. i followed fords recomendation stringently and eventually it did cook it. love the suv otherwise it would have been gone
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #14

Hi all, I also bought a 2012 Escape and while towing it one state trooper pulled over and told me "the car is on fire"
The transmission was extremely hot and got stuck in park.
Now the dealer started blaming;
First the lights
Then the supplemental break system.
Ford doesn't want to cover it under Waranty
THIS CAR IS NOT GOOD FOR FLAT TOWING!!
I heard of people with transmission replaced 2,3 and four times
Ptapia6118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford