Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Question 2011 Ford Focus - towing questions

Good Morning,

We are going to be traveling from Mn to Ca to Tx and back to Mn in about 18 days and we want to take one of our cars and I have been getting conflicting information from what I have been reading online and thought I would come to RV Family.

I read in a couple of places that the Ford Focus is ok to tow with a towbar, but the other day I was looking to buy a towbar and the company (don't remember the name) stated that the ford focus has to be on a dolly and not towed.

So the question is: Can it be towed with a tow bar?

Howard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmcc View Post
Good Morning,

We are going to be traveling from Mn to Ca to Tx and back to Mn in about 18 days and we want to take one of our cars and I have been getting conflicting information from what I have been reading online and thought I would come to RV Family.

I read in a couple of places that the Ford Focus is ok to tow with a towbar, but the other day I was looking to buy a towbar and the company (don't remember the name) stated that the ford focus has to be on a dolly and not towed.

So the question is: Can it be towed with a tow bar?

Howard
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2011.pdf

Is doesn't appear that the 2011 Ford Focus AUTOMATIC can be flat towed.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

2011 Ford Focus - towing questions

Don't rely on that . It also says the Fuzion is towable . & it is not . It also says Chevy Cruze is towable . It is not without pump.
I believe Remco says it is . I have been told that on the 2011&2012s to take it up Ford dealer & have them check the computer. If it isn't , they can flash the system to make it towable . You do have to disconnect negative side of battery while towing.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

No the 2011 is not towable , 2012 is
Old 06-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

I have found Motorhome Magazine and Base-Plate manufacturers to be wrong in many cases. For Ford, the #1 authority is Ford itself - go here and select your year:
RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

For 2011, the manual transmission is flat-towable, but not the automatic.
For 2012-current, the torque-converter based auto was replaced with a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) which is actually a pair of 3-speed manual transmissions with computer controlled clutches that "almost" mimic a conventional automatic transmission. The DCT "auto" is flat-towable and gets 10% better MPG than the prior auto.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

I was also receiving conflicting info. However we have an 07 f150 4x4. Everyone said no way. I did some research. For several months! I was quite disappointed., thought we would have to sell our very reliable, well maintained truck plus 7 to 8k for an unknown jeep. WRONG. The man who has been servicing the vehicle from day one, I had a conversation with him about what I had found. Which was a system to disconnect the drive shaft. He in turn told my husband I was crazy, then called back and said he found it. So for just a 2K he installed a 2 part drive shaft, and installed the tow package on the rv, class c, and to the front of the f150. Then he hooked it up and tested the system. Dorr automotive in slidell louisiana. No we are not related in any way shape or form. Just regular customers for many many years bcuz of service.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Solution to Towing questions

I eventually found out that the ford focus 2011 cannot be towed using a tow bar, so I purchased a tow dolly and we used this weekend and it works good. Thanks for all your posts helping out

H
Old 06-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Thumbs up Problem Solved

Based on the help that was offered I have found a solution and it is working well for us.

Tags
ford, tow, towing