Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
2011 Honda Odyssey 5-speed for a toad

Any comments or suggestions on towing this vehicle? Any special preparation required other than wiring and installing a base plate? Any comments for us would be much appreciated....trying to buy a "new" toad replacing our 1996 Chrysler Town and Country which has been wonderful all these years. Thanks for any help you can give us!
__________________

__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Well, Honda says it's not towable four down, but they said that about our '05 also and we've towed in many thousands of miles with no trouble. At the Good Sam rally in Phoenix earlier this year a man stopped by and asked if we had had any trouble. Turns out he is towing a '10 Ody and has had no trouble.
You WILL need auxiliary braking though in order to comply with the various stae laws though. I have a RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 although we traded rigs in Feb and I need to get the MH parts installed.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
Thanks. Already have Brakebuddy. Ben towing `96 town & country for years w/o a pump, just a 1.5 qt reservoir. Finally getting a newer toad!
__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 170
There is a lot of confusion over Hondas in general whether they can be towed or not. I can speak for the Pilots (which also applies to the CRV and Oddessy, and possibly the Element.) They are all based on the same drive train, whether AWD or front drive. Either one can be towed four down/flat towed, but the AWD can NOT be towed on a dolly.

Any of the model year 2013 or earlier can be towed four down . 2014 and newer models now have a different transmission and can not towed at all. There is a specific procedure that has to be followed, see below.

All the confusion comes from Honda changing its mind repeatedly about whether they will warrant these cars or not. Apparently, too many idiots did not the follow the towing procedures exactly and ruined their transmissions. So Honda decided that they would pull their towing endorsement on all but the CRV. Nothing has changed on the drivetrains, just Honda doesn't want to deal with the failures. So if something happens, regardless of whether it was towed or not, Honda can deny the claim and you're stuck with the bill.

The procedure has to be followed, and repeated every day. I think it is also outlined in your owners manual under emergency tow procedures.

1. Start the car. With your foot on the brake, run gear shift through all gears down to 1st.

2.Slowly move gear shift back up to D, leave in D for at least 3 minutes (5 would be better.)

3. Shift into Neutral and leave it there for another 3 minutes.

DO NOT SHIFT INTO REVERSE FROM HERE.

4. Turn engine off, leave the key in the ignition so steering wheel can turn freely.

5. Make sure all accessories are off and you are ready to go.

If you do shift into reverse accidentally, repeat the entire procedure.

I usually let the car run in drive and neutral while I continue hooking up the car or breaking camp. Just make sure the emergency brake is set properly!

Do not exceed 65 MPH when towing, passing and short downhill periods over 65 are okay, just not for extended periods of time.

I think it is recommended to repeat the procedure if you tow for more 6 hours straight or if you stop for more than a couple of hours.

We've towed our 2005 Pilot more than 5,000 miles so far with no problems and there are a lot more people who tow their Hondas many more miles than that with no problems either.

The only problem I have encountered is the battery dying when towed for more than two full days without disconnecting (make sure to repeat above procedures before starting off on the second day!) Fixed that by running a charge wire from MH to the toad.


Good luck, happy travels, and enjoy the new car!
__________________
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
Thanks for the info. Assume that warranty from Honda will still apply for all items except transmission?
__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
allegro1x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 703
Might want to start saving for a new trans., if you tow it 4 down. Dave
__________________
Tiffin 32CA 2012
2007 Jeep Liberty
Mitzi-chihuahua+Ruby and Raisin- baby shih tzu sisters
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
was told that honda ody 5 speed can be flat towed with no problems if specific procedure is followed prior to starting the tow?
__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbandBob View Post
was told that honda ody 5 speed can be flat towed with no problems if specific procedure is followed prior to starting the tow?
Yes, that is correct, you won't have any problems. As I stated before, Honda just doesn't want to deal with the idiots who can neither read nor follow instructions. The drivetrains are identical across the Honda Pilot, Odyssey, CR-V and the Acura MDX lines. Look at the Remco website, they all but endorse it as well. They stop short of endorsing it, because their lawyers told them to.

I put a lot of research into our purchase, as have a lot of other owners who do the same. Follow the instructions to a "T" and you won't have any problems either. Our next vehicle (when our kids have out-grown the rear seat of our Pilot) will be an 2013 Odyssey. You can't beat Honda reliability.

One thing I don't think I added to the procedures in my previous post, is to change your transmission fluid at 30,000 mile intervals. Since the odometer doesn't record towed mileage, this takes into account the extra fluid circulation.
__________________
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 170
Forgot to reply to your other post, about other warranty items. Don't ask, don't tell! As long as they don't ask if you have towed it, they don't need to know. Even then, if it has nothing to do with the transmission they don't need to know.
__________________
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
Thanks for your reassurance! Spent a lot of time myself trying to decide what to buy. Am handicapped and need a van for my scooter. Also need some advice on routing the wiring for the tail lites on the ody and whether to install bulbs in rear door or rear quarter panels. Any advice would be appreciated.

ps Should I address this wiring in a new thread?
__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
There is a lot of confusion over Hondas in general whether they can be towed or not. I can speak for the Pilots (which also applies to the CRV and Oddessy, and possibly the Element.) They are all based on the same drive train, whether AWD or front drive. Either one can be towed four down/flat towed, but the AWD can NOT be towed on a dolly.

Any of the model year 2013 or earlier can be towed four down . 2014 and newer models now have a different transmission and can not towed at all. There is a specific procedure that has to be followed, see below.

All the confusion comes from Honda changing its mind repeatedly about whether they will warrant these cars or not. Apparently, too many idiots did not the follow the towing procedures exactly and ruined their transmissions. So Honda decided that they would pull their towing endorsement on all but the CRV. Nothing has changed on the drivetrains, just Honda doesn't want to deal with the failures. So if something happens, regardless of whether it was towed or not, Honda can deny the claim and you're stuck with the bill.

The procedure has to be followed, and repeated every day. I think it is also outlined in your owners manual under emergency tow procedures.

1. Start the car. With your foot on the brake, run gear shift through all gears down to 1st.

2.Slowly move gear shift back up to D, leave in D for at least 3 minutes (5 would be better.)

3. Shift into Neutral and leave it there for another 3 minutes.

DO NOT SHIFT INTO REVERSE FROM HERE.

4. Turn engine off, leave the key in the ignition so steering wheel can turn freely.

5. Make sure all accessories are off and you are ready to go.

If you do shift into reverse accidentally, repeat the entire procedure.

I usually let the car run in drive and neutral while I continue hooking up the car or breaking camp. Just make sure the emergency brake is set properly!

Do not exceed 65 MPH when towing, passing and short downhill periods over 65 are okay, just not for extended periods of time.

I think it is recommended to repeat the procedure if you tow for more 6 hours straight or if you stop for more than a couple of hours.

We've towed our 2005 Pilot more than 5,000 miles so far with no problems and there are a lot more people who tow their Hondas many more miles than that with no problems either.

The only problem I have encountered is the battery dying when towed for more than two full days without disconnecting (make sure to repeat above procedures before starting off on the second day!) Fixed that by running a charge wire from MH to the toad.


Good luck, happy travels, and enjoy the new car!
Thanks for the reply- have a few questions. Just read the 011 Ody manual and it states "start and shift to D, hold for 5 seconds then N and turn off."
Does not single out the Touring which is 6 speed or EX L which is 5 speed. States max speed of 35 MPH and limit of 50 miles. Remco states 6 speed not flat towable PERIOD. Are your instructions applicable for the 011 5 speed? Has this trans been used on others Hondas as well? Just want to make sure. Thanks
__________________
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 170
That's a good question. I would certainly default to the manual and Remco. If both specifically state that the 6 speed is not flat towable, then I would follow their instructions to a "T". Does Remco, say the 5 speed is ok? I would check the specific transmission part number and see if it is the same for previous year models and call Remco for verification. I will personally not make any recommendations on this matter. I don't want to steer you wrong on something this important.
__________________
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 100
Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
That's a good question. I would certainly default to the manual and Remco. If both specifically state that the 6 speed is not flat towable, then I would follow their instructions to a "T". Does Remco, say the 5 speed is ok? I would check the specific transmission part number and see if it is the same for previous year models and call Remco for verification. I will personally not make any recommendations on this matter. I don't want to steer you wrong on something this important.
I tow a 2012 fit and other years are also towable just like the CRV,
the Fit and CRV are towable 4 down no problem.
I have seen Honda OD but have no desire to tow my 2015 OD.
Nick
__________________
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbandBob View Post
Thanks for your reassurance! Spent a lot of time myself trying to decide what to buy. Am handicapped and need a van for my scooter. Also need some advice on routing the wiring for the tail lites on the ody and whether to install bulbs in rear door or rear quarter panels. Any advice would be appreciated.

ps Should I address this wiring in a new thread?
I used the RoadMaster diode setup to wire ours, has worked fine for 10 years now. The OP will probably have to run a charge line to the battery like I did. Just got a message from a friend who is towing a '10 Ody and his battery keeps going dead so he's going to have to do it also.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
honda, toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toad wiring 2002 Honda CRV OktsCamp Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 03-16-2015 06:26 AM
Honda CR-V vs Chevy Sonic as toad Donut lover Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 26 02-12-2015 08:47 AM
Transmission issues towing 5 spd Honda Odyssey fastcarbon Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 02-01-2015 08:00 AM
Modifying a Honda Fit to be a TOAD Emil Faber Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 01-17-2015 10:26 AM
HONDA RIDGELINE as TOAD SAS30 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 12 05-12-2014 12:24 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.