Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
If it has the "Trail Rated" badge on the driver side front fender, it is supposed to be towable... but check to make sure.

Looking for the badge is just a way to make a quick check.
Attached Images

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
If you want to drive to Michigan, here is a Jeep GC Diesel for you. 24 mpg.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4dr Laredo 3.0 Turbo Diesel Leather 31k

I bought a leftover 2008 GC Diesel about 18 months ago and love it. Mercedes engine, great MPG, and tows behind my DP like a dream. Can't find used ones because everyone is holding on to them. This one is going for about the same price as I paid for a new one.

And the Boston Acoustics sound system cranks!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
That's the main problem with 2008-2010 models. They are all gone from the dealers except for the plain jane, 6 cylinder or two wheel drive models. The used ones are few and bringing the same as new prices. If i have to pay that much I might as well get what I want and not have to drive a thousand miles for it. Also no Laredos, it has to be a limited or overland.

I refuse to buy a few colors due to the fact I keep my cars 10 years on average and after living with a color that long your sick of it. I have silver with the current jeep, burgundy with my 10 year old P/U I bought new, and white with the wife's last car. I refuse black because I kept black cars when young and don't want that kind of upkeep now, although it makes a beautiful vehicle when clean and swirl free. I don't like green either. So it's gold or blue, preferably gold to match the M/H. I'm one of those guys that if I'm spending 40K it better be exactly what I want or I'll just keep using what I have and leave the money in the bank. Besides the old Cherokee still runs good, just like a little more room.

Thanks though.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #18

I was looking at the new Jeeps the other day and insisted on reading the owner's manual. The new owners of Chrysler wanted to same a couple of bucks. A limited owners manual is provided on DVD. We inserted it into the DVD player and was disappointed how little information was in it and how many times it refers you to the real owners manual that's not provided with the vehicle. It can be purchased though. What a slap in the face of a customer that just dropped $35K+ for a new vehicle.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not wild about the DVD-based manual, either (we got one with our 2011 Dodge Ram). However, aside from the video sections, there's a more traditional index and written sections with more detailed information that's available if you load the DVD into the drive on a PC.

I understand that by calling 1-877-726-4636 with the vehicle's VIN, an owner is entitled to one regular printed owner's manual and one nav/entertainment system manual free of charge - at least that's how it works for the Ram.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
it a new model there will be problems with a new model.
the workforce is drunk
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
What's with all the derogitory comments about the workforce is drunk or needs to sober up?

I've purchased 7 new Chrysler vehicles for both work and personal in the last 15 years. All of which have turned 200k mileage with nothing more than scheduled maintenance. Each had to have a new starter somewhere after 100k miles and one needed a water pump at 146k. That's one heck of a track record in my book. Also a friend of mine in the same business decided to try them after seeing my satisfaction. He has purchsed 5 chrysler products in the last 10 years with the same service dependability and poor maintenance from him. I'm a stickler for proper maintenance, oil changes, coolant changes, trans service, and other scheduled items all done by myself.

I bought the new ram P/U when it was an all new design in 1994 and it also performed over 200k without even a clutch being changed. And this was a 2500 4x4 diesel, 5-speed which I used for my company truck. I sure miss that truck.

I don't know if you guys have swallowed the kool-aide that foriegn cars are perfect and have no faults. Or do you believe that everyone in this country is sorry and builds junk? I know there are bad apples and the unions are overboard but if you try a domestic vehicle and the service and product doesn't stack up then you may have gotten a lemon or bad dealer. This happens with foriegn makes also, just look at the news and Toyota lately.

Personally I have only purchased one foriegn car in my life. A Toyota because of how all the magazines and people raved about them. Worst new car experience I ever had. Kept it 2 years and traded it for the wife's '09 Dodge Charger Daytona. That's the shortest length of time I've ever owned a vehicle. So bad mouthing the domestic auto is lost on me.

I will say my son bought a new GM P/U in '07 and it pretty much came apart. But I've never had that trouble out of Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler since 1990. I have bought a couple of Fords for the business and they have been hit and miss. 2 of them were trouble free and one was a nightmare. As I said the Chrysler product has proven itself to me since trying my first one in 1990. I was a chevy guy before that, but with the qaulity I've had from these I'll stick with them until it changes.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #22

I think most newer vehicles hold up pretty well. I buy new cars far too often and I've generally been pleased with Ford, GM, VW, Mazda, Volvo, Saab, and the old Chrysler. In fact my only beef was with Lincoln for not getting involved with their franchise dealers, at least one anyway, when there was a dispute with a customer--me. The new Chrysler is not American. Okay, it's American as some other foreign cars built in the US. It's more Fiat than anything else. Fiat, in the past, was not known for quality. That too may have improved.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
True enough Gil, Fiat owns a 40% share of Chrysler. The other portions are owned by the UAW and the U.S. government, 50% of which I believe according to my research is UAW ownership. This may explain the screw ups with parts supply and build scheduling, lol.

But the "old Chrysler" was owned by Daimler for years. It was supposed to be a merger which turned into Daimler trying to take it over. This led to most if not all of it's problems in the last few years, in-fighting within the corporation. The management was too busy fighting one another to actually run the company and do what was neccessary. Benz knows it's high end cars and does them well, but they just had no real understanding of the American bread and butter market.

At this point I don't consider them foriegn owned as much as they were 5 years ago. GM is still heavily indebted to the Government at this time also, even though they have paid back one Gov. loan, they still have another hanging over their head. Ford is the only one not to take Gov. money, but they used private loans heavily in the year before the collapse to save themselves and make a turnaround. Their management just had alot better foresight, which can happen when a company isn't fraught with infighting.

And for the record, Yes I'm not thrilled with the Fiat connection and fear what it's effect will be. If they work with those who ran Chrysler before the Daimler years it should be good. These are the people who were making Chrysler a turn around before someone got the big idea that merging with Daimler would fill all of their pockets and be a good thing.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
But the "old Chrysler" was owned by Daimler for years. It was supposed to be a merger which turned into Daimler trying to take it over.
The "joke" in Germany just after the "merger" was:

Question: How do you pronounce DaimlerChrysler?

Answer: The "Chrysler" is silent.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
So true, so true. Sad.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Well, the dealer who got one in wants over and above sticker price for it. I guess because it's the only one here in the south that isn't pre-sold. The person who ordered it backed out.

I will not pay a premium just to have it now, so I ordered from my usual Dodge/Jeep dealer. Looks like Christmas before delivery. Invoice price when ordered plus any incentives that happen between now and delivery. This eqautes to 2500 below sticker before any incentives, beats the heck out of sticker plus, that's crazy.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2008 with all wheel drive. Quadra Trac II. It tows without any problems and is very simple to do so. Put the vehicle in Neutral, push a button, place it in park and go! After the info on the dash says I am in Neutral, I do crank it up and put it in gear just to make sure. The new 2011 models look nice and appear to be more user friendly.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have you checked the dry weight on the 2011 grand cherokee, 5300 dry