Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ron,
The weight really isn't an issue for me. I'm running an ISL 400 cummins, I've towed an 8k 1-ton truck with no trouble. When I traded my fifth wheel for the motorhome it was out of state. So I just added the blue ox base plate to my truck and towed it home after the swap.

My main concern was a larger and more easily accessible vehicle. The cherokee is great 3k and small enough to put anywhere. But we travel a lot with my mother who is a 73 year old widow. This way she gets out and has a good time. The cherokee sits high enough that I have to keep a stool in it for her to get in and out. Also both her and my kids are bad to hit their head on the roof getting in the back due to the small door openings.

Although the new Grand cherokee is heavy it will alleviate these problems. The model I ordered has the air suspension, so I can lower the vehicle for ingress/egress. It also has larger door openings and much more rear passenger area. And I couldn't resist the power of that hemi either. All in all a nice vehicle that will cure several small annoyances which add up on a long trip.

I will keep the old cherokee for a while though, for when it's just my wife and I on a trip. It works great for that with no problems.

Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #30

I just looked at a couple of 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokees yesterday. The salesman said if I ordered one like I want it would take four to six weeks for delivery.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
It depends on what you order. I ordered the overland, and they are behind on production of those and V8 models. Also some items such as the tech package are late availability and will not start production until December even though you can order now. So take what the salesman tells you with a grain of salt. V6's are plentiful at dealer lots now, 4X4's are fewer, and V8 limiteds are few. This is in my area of Georgia though and may vary by geographic location. Mine has been on order for two weeks so I'll post upon reciept.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #32

First long trip with toad

We just put 1500 miles on a trip to the balloon Fiesta in NM. Our 09 Wrangler towed great. We have a Blue OX towbar and Patriot brake assist. Everything worked flawlessly. I believe the Jeep made handling better with the motorhome. Seemed to handle better next to semi's in AZ and NM. We even went off road unexpectanly in Kingman AZ. We stopped at The Cracker Barrell and tried to park in the dirt lot next to it. There are a lot more craters than last year and I tested the suspension on the Motorhome. Go slow and pick your line better than I did. Anyway love the setup.
DESERTDUST
Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I need to correct something that I stated earlier. My 2008 has Quadra Drive not Quadra Trac. I was at the local delearship having an oil change and I realized that I had made this mistake. The new 11's do look nice. I was told they had cooled A/C seating. I have driven a Lexus that had cooled seats and they are nice.

Got to wait awhile before trading. Again, sorry for the error. Have a great day!!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
The limited has the cooled seats if ordered with the luxury package, the overland has them standard. The cooled seats are only the front two, although the heated seat is for front and back. So the front do both while the rear is heat only.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Be aware that the new 2010/2011Grand Cherokees have fulltime AWD rather than a transfer case with a selectable neutral. From what I've heard, you can't get a GC with a neutral on the transfer case, so they have to be towed on a trailer. Or get a 2WD and add a lube pump.

Used to be able to rely on Jeep to produce towable vehicles that were off-road capable, but I guess they have moved closer to the mainstream market.
The new Jeeps are just as easy to tow as the old ones. With that said, you must have the sport dial package on the console that let's you choose your environment, or neutral. Easier than the last "T" handled model.

Parkerrs, I recommend taking advantage of the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for a little more money, as you know, on the Grand Cherokee there is a lot of electronics with high price tags to go bad. I know I will enjoy the piece of mind when I buy my new one.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Parkerrs, I recommend taking advantage of the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for a little more money, as you know, on the Grand Cherokee there is a lot of electronics with high price tags to go bad. I know I will enjoy the piece of mind when I buy my new one.
I would strongly suggest that one look over any "pay" type of extended warranty BEFORE committing to it. When we bought our Jeep, I was told that the extended warranty didnt cover some of the more expensive electronics. I really wasnt interested in "buying" something that the dealer was trying hard to sell, so I didnt look too deeply into it.

I figure if they are trying so hard to sell it, it must be a "money maker" for them, which means it isnt going to make me any money. They know the "law of averages" and play it big time.

I would rather put the cost of the insurance in and interest bearing account.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bago View Post
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee---I think this auto is fulltime AWD?? I found one for sale and it is in great shape. Does anyone know if this can be towed with all four down? Thanks, James
From Remco: Selectable Four Wheel Drive with a neutral in the transfer case is towable as is. No neutral in the transfer case (AWD) requires a trailer. Refer to owners manual for confirmation and procedures
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #38

Qudra-Trac II has a transfer case with a neutral mode for flat towing. It is standard on the Limited and Overland 4 x 4 models.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #39

Oh, I forgot to mention Qudra-Drive II, which also has a transfer case that can be put in neutral. It is optional on the Limited and Overland.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Well my new Jeep is on the train from the plant in Detroit to here in Atlanta. Left Detroit yesterday, so maybe by this time next week it'll be here.

I've got the Blue Ox base plates sitting in the garage,along with the tail light wiring kit from Blue Ox waiting for it's arrival. The dealer is supplying a bra for use when towing, it's a mopar accessory.

My only complaint is that I can't use the M&G brake with this one. I've been using the M&G on my previous toads and absolutely love it. There is no room for the cylinder between the master and booster. So yesterday I ordered the SMI air force one, I'll be trying it out on this unit and see how it compares. Hopefully it will be as trouble free and easy to hook-up as the M&G has been. At least I'll have first hand knowledge of both systems.

I'll post some pics when it arrives and after the base plate and brake install.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention Qudra-Drive II, which also has a transfer case that can be put in neutral. It is optional on the Limited and Overland.
Joe,
The qaudra-drive II comes standard on the overland when you opt for the V8. It's also only available with V8 on the limited. All limited and overland V6 models get the qaudra-trac II as standard.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Tommy,

Congratulations - this is certainly quite an improvement from the January 2011 delivery date you were originally quoted!! Did you wind up with the 430N entertainment/nav system?

Waiting for pics.....

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote