Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Is anybody towing a2011 Jeep grand Cherokee yet? I'm thinking about one because I can't find a 2008-2010 like I want. The new chrysler sure is making it a pain in the rear though.

In the past any make domestic car I wanted, I just made a deposit and placed the order. In 6 weeks or less I had a new car on the ground. Now if I order a new 2011 Grand Cherokee like I want today the dealer says it will be late January before delivery. They have an all new product, a slow market, and now rediculous delivery times, and they want to make a come back from bankruptcy. This doesn't bode well for the plan.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Hmmmm....that is strange. I ordered a 2011 Dodge Ram on August 7th and took delivery on September 11th. The new Grand Cherokee is getting some very good reviews, but that's a heck of an order backlog!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
they cant build them till the assembly line sobers upbrianj
Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It's the craziest thing I've ever heard out of a domestic automaker. I've been to three different dealers and contacted the customer service line out of Detroit.

Problem #1 - Chrysler is offering several options on the new Grand Cherokee which they don't even have a supply of yet. Even though they have been in production on this unit since late April. This includes things as simple as the top line stereo and limited supplies of the panoramic sunroof. Also limited V8 production.

Problem#2 - It seems they have instituted a new production system with this particular vehicle. Jeep will only build an alotted amount of each model per qaurter. The dealer must get his order in on the alotment, if the alotment is filled then the order has to wait until next qaurter. If the alotment is not filled but production has began then less than the alotted amount will be built this qaurter, no ad ons after production starts.

This is why most dealers only have V6 and V8 two wheel drives in stock. Also most of the limited models in stock are 2 wheel drive, the few 4 wheel drive V8 models are predominately white or black.

The Overland model which is what I want was not released for order until September, and the alotment is either already gone for the qaurter, or the options I desire are not in supply until late December.

So it's just kinda rediculous when you are standing in the dealership, on the phone with Detroit, with cash in hand. They look at you and say we'll be glad to build that for you but delivery will be in 4 months. The way I see it, if your going to offer something in the brochure, spend millions in TV and magazine ads, and run a sales event at the dealerships for it. The least you can do is be able to supply in a reasonable amount of time. If you can't then don't hype the product until you can.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
Is anybody towing a2011 Jeep grand Cherokee yet? I'm thinking about one because I can't find a 2008-2010 like I want. The new chrysler sure is making it a pain in the rear though.

In the past any make domestic car I wanted, I just made a deposit and placed the order. In 6 weeks or less I had a new car on the ground. Now if I order a new 2011 Grand Cherokee like I want today the dealer says it will be late January before delivery. They have an all new product, a slow market, and now rediculous delivery times, and they want to make a come back from bankruptcy. This doesn't bode well for the plan.
You also might want to contact Blue Ox or your towing preference to see if they have a base plate for the 2011 yet and any info on towability. There are alot of 2011 Grand Cherokees at dealers out here in CA where I live (Orange County).
Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
I imagine Jeep uses the same 730N (sales code RER) stereo/nav system I have on my Ram. I had no problem ordering it (it's a great system, by the way), but one of the guys on the TDR forum reports that he can't order the 730N right now on his truck - all they're showing on the dealer's computer as being available for selection is the 430N.

Sounds like demand is outstripping supply.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
No the 730N is what I want. Demand isn't outstripping supply. Chrysler told me that the 730N is being updated to the new Garmin Nav system and the new units will not be available until January. In their infinite wisdom they just stopped production of the old 730N and now have a 4 month gap without it.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Del, Blue Ox does have a base plate for it already. Look at what's at the dealer there. I'll promise you that V8 4x4's are few and far between and Overlands are like hen's teeth. Colors are also limited in selection for in stock right now.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
Del, Blue Ox does have a base plate for it already. Look at what's at the dealer there. I'll promise you that V8 4x4's are few and far between and Overlands are like hen's teeth. Colors are also limited in selection for in stock right now.
Hi Tommy,

Here is a web here in Huntington Beach I quit counting at 5 V8 4 x 4's here is the link.

Good luck

Chrysler, Jeep dealer Huntington Beach Chrysler Jeep located in Huntington Beach CA
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Del, too bad I'm on the east coast. 4x4 with V8 in limited or overland are scarce here in Georgia. Unless you desire white or black, I'm partial to the new grey or gold.

EDIT: I think I may have found one at a dealer 130 miles away. Chrysler shows it in transit and equipped as I desire. The only drawback is the window sticker shows a downgrade to the 430 radio, evidently because of the lack of 730s. The dealer is in Tennessee though.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Be aware that the new 2010/2011Grand Cherokees have fulltime AWD rather than a transfer case with a selectable neutral. From what I've heard, you can't get a GC with a neutral on the transfer case, so they have to be towed on a trailer. Or get a 2WD and add a lube pump.

Used to be able to rely on Jeep to produce towable vehicles that were off-road capable, but I guess they have moved closer to the mainstream market.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee---I think this auto is fulltime AWD?? I found one for sale and it is in great shape. Does anyone know if this can be towed with all four down?
Thanks,
James
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Be aware that the new 2010/2011Grand Cherokees have fulltime AWD rather than a transfer case with a selectable neutral. From what I've heard, you can't get a GC with a neutral on the transfer case, so they have to be towed on a trailer. Or get a 2WD and add a lube pump.

Used to be able to rely on Jeep to produce towable vehicles that were off-road capable, but I guess they have moved closer to the mainstream market.

No sir!

The standard Grand Cherokee (Laredo) comes with a non-towable qaudra-trac I system. If you order the vehicle with qaudra trac II or qaudra drive there is a transfer case with a neutral position. This applies to the 2010 which I couldn't locate to suit me as well as the new 2011. All Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 models come with Qaudra trac II when ordered with the 5.7 V8 package. The 2010 also was equiped with Qaudra trac II when ordered with the 5.7, The Overland models come with Qaudra drive standard this year according to the brochure, it's optional on the limited.

So all 2011 4x4 Overlands with V8 should be towable. Blue Ox has just came out with the base plate. If a trim level lower than Overland is desired make sure it has the V8 which includes qaudra tracII, or if a V6 is desired be sure it has the off road group I or II which should give it the shiftable transfer case. Double check with your dealer when ordering. I inspected a new limited with V8 and it had the neutral shift button for the transfer case.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bago View Post
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee---I think this auto is fulltime AWD?? I found one for sale and it is in great shape. Does anyone know if this can be towed with all four down?
Thanks,
James
Look on the console. There should be a small chrome T handle to shift the transfer case to 4 LO. It will also have a small button that you push with a pen or paper clip to electronically shift it into nuetral. If it doesn't have this then it is equipped with qaudra-trac I which is non-towable.

OOPS! I thought you wrote '06 not 96, I'm not sure on those, I think it would have a shift lever for the transfer case if towable. My '01 Cherokee has a standard lever marked 2HI, 4HI, N, and 4LO.