Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Am considering a new Grand Cherokee Overland. However, read in the owners manual that it is necessary to disconnect the battery when towing. Anybody know what or why this is necessary? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr
Am considering a new Grand Cherokee Overland. However, read in the owners manual that it is necessary to disconnect the battery when towing. Anybody know what or why this is necessary? Thanks.
It's a BS requirement and one not originally required. I can't tell of any power being draned while towing wit my configuration.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called Jeep customer service about the battery disconnect. I was told there is no need to do that. I towed for 2 days----about 6-7 hours a day and no problem with a dead battery. I do have power from the motorhome going to the tail, stop, and turn signal lights.
And by the way, the Grand Cherokee Overland is a great tow vehicle. For some reason I got about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg more towing it than the Subaru I had before.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the input. It's what I was hoping to hear. Moving forward.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Blue Ox Base Plate on 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Timely post for this newbie to irv2!!! Just drove home the 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland and am going to purchase the blue ox baseplate. I quoted part of your post below....if I have no tow hooks I have no cutting...only removal of the knock-outs? That would be great. Where would you install the air and light connections on the grill? Do you have a pic of yours...I presume I need the same base plate.

thanks again for a great post!!!

Jeff753

"You will have to trim the lower fascia/air dam around the tow hook openings as in the instructions. If your unit came without tow hooks there are factory covers over the openings held on with plastic push pins. I found the easiest and best looking thing to do was, enlarge the top of the opening up to the accent line all the way across..."i
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
How is the Air Force brake Controller? I am considering a purchase of it. How much did you get it for and is it difficult to install?

thanks

Jeff753

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I just received Roadmaster baseplates and their Sterling towbar. I just ordered the Air Force One brake controller, so I'll be doing the install in the coming weeks. I haven't seen the Blue Ox plates in person. I can tell you the Roadmaster plates are hefty.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Tommy,
Any way you can send me a picture of the front end? jeff753@att.net
I just drove home my 2012 Overland about 2 hours ago and am shopping for a blu ox and a brake system for it...light kit too.
Exciting!!

Jeff753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
Today I installed the Blue Ox base plates on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. You can see the Blue Ox instructions here http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX1128.pdf .

The installation is fairly straight forward and per the instructions. I will say a few things that could simplify the process and /or clarify what the instructions do not.

During tear down, If you call Chrysler and order the printed owners manual there is a wealth of good information you will not find elsewhere. Why they don't ship the 2011 JGC with the printed manuals I'll never know. The front lower Fascia is designed to be removed for increased off-road clearance quickly with no tools. It is held on by 7, 90 degree twist lock fasteners, once these are removed the fascia snaps of and/or loose from the bumper fascia. It is a little scary until you look and figure it out but it will not break. Like all new cars everything is pretty much snap together.

After you remove the lower air dam this allows the bumper fascia to be removed seperately. By taking these off in two pieces rather than one large unit like the Blue Ox instructions call for it's much easier to handle.

After removing the plastic rivets from the inner fenderwells along with the 10mm bolt and push pin like the instructions say to do. You now need to disconnect the fender flares (black plastic) from the bumper ends. The instructions neglect to tell you this step. They are simply snapped on by tabs to the bumper cover ends, once you peek behind the inner fender with a light you will see how to release them. Do not try to disconnect the flare past the mating line of the bumper end and fender. It uses a different clip on the fender itself and you could damge the clip requireing a trip to get a new one or if aggressive enough you could warp or bend the fender.

To release the bumper cover from underneath the grill it is easiest to reach down from the top backside of the grill and release the tabs. Don't forget to unplug the foglights before removing the cover.

The steel bumper behind the cover is different on models with factory tow hooks and those without. The units with an off-roadI or II package have the tow hooks and a trail rated badge. The non tow hook units take the long tube spacers while the tow hook models take the shorter ones supplied.

My model has the air suspension. If yours has this then like the instructions show, you will find the pump for it behind the right side of the bumper. Do simply as told and remove the bracket bolts and move it out of the way of installation. Secure it somehow, but whatever you do "DON'T REMOVE OR OPEN ANY OF THE AIR LINES OR CONNECTIONS" . This is a closed system and uses "COMPRESSED NITROGEN" not air, if you cause a leak or open the system you will have to go to a Chrysler dealer to have it properly recharged to the correct pressure with a special fitting on the reserve tank and class 4 nitrogen.

Re-assembly is pretty simple as it all snaps together. You will have to trim the lower fascia/air dam around the tow hook openings as in the instructions. If your unit came without tow hooks there are factory covers over the openings held on with plastic push pins. I found the easiest and best looking thing to do was, enlarge the top of the opening up to the accent line all the way across. You will need to square off the upper outer corner on each side up to this accent line or step as some may call it. You will have to trim the outer side of the opening on the part which extends toward the back of the vehicle by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch so that the air dam will go back far enough to fit right and snap on correctly.

The tabs for the safety cables sit on the inside of the tow bar pins, within the factory tow hook opening. Installed with the towing tabs removed the Blue Ox unit gives a very clean and factory look. They are not noticeable and don't jump out at you, totally disguised.

Also the removeable tabs on the Blue Ox plates are one piece interlocking machined from a solid piece of steel. They are not fabricated from box tubing or seperate parts which could fail at the weld. I saw a weld failure in a post on here a week or so ago of a roadmaster unit which was fabricated of sqaure steel tube. I'm not putting down any other manufacturers product, only saying that these tabs are one piece solid machined steel. Nothing much about this set-up can fail unless it is from material defect.

The base plate mounts in the same location with the same bolt holes as the factory tow hooks. It uses a doubler plate for re-enforcement along the web of the uni-body frame. This should be a strong and substantial set-up. It also has safety cables looped around the uni-body frame rails just in case. The only other base plates for this model I have looked at are Roadmaster. The roadmaster re-enforces the mount from the front with a bracket that bolts to the radiator support. The radiator support is fairly light wieght in the new JGC and I prefer being bolted to the frame webbing rather than the bolted on radiator support.

You don't have to tear the car down as far to install the roadmaster brackets since you are not accessing the frame web or getting clearance to drill it. One other thing is that the re-enforcement plates of the Ox wind up drilling directly through factory spot welds in the frame web and replacing these spot welds with bolts and the doubler plate. You will see the Roadmaster instructions here http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521439-1.pdf .

I simply prefer the Blue Ox equipment and this was my experience with the base plate install on the 2011 JGC. Hope this answers some questions and helps.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #22

When I had a 2011 JGC I installed the electrical connector in the bumper fascia. The attached shows where the electrical connector and AF1 air line were located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	19468  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Are you happy with the AirForce? I'm in the market for a brake system for my new JGC?
Any other pics out there of installs on a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I'm a little nervous about tearing into my new JGC...but hey...what's the worse thing that can happen.

Jeff753

Quote:
When I had a 2011 JGC I installed the electrical connector in the bumper fascia. The attached shows where the electrical connector and AF1 air line were located.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Are you happy with the AirForce? I'm in the market for a brake system for my new JGC?
Any other pics out there of installs on a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I'm a little nervous about tearing into my new JGC...but hey...what's the worse thing that can happen.

Jeff753
I have the Unified Brake System from US Gear on mine. It's great!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #25

No regrets. I've used it on the JGC and now a 2012 Explorer. I can probably get some installation information together when I return from Disney next week with the grandsons.

Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Are you happy with the AirForce?...
Jeff753
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
I really appreciate you posting the picture of your install.
I have a brand new 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland that I am going to outfit to flat tow and I have really been trying to find decent pictures of the installed baseplates.
The manufacturers do put pictures in the manuals - but they are at such low resolution that you can't really get a good idea of how they look.

From the best I can tell - the Roadmaster base plates are the least obvious once the tabs are removed.
But, based upon the info from Parkerrs in the original post (BTW thanks a bunch for that very informative write-up, it is also extremely helpful) I'm not sure about the Roadmasters now... Are they as durable/reliable as the Blue Ox?

The other consideration is that I will need to adapt whichever I choose to a Demco towbar. My Father-in-Law has an Aluminator towbar that he no longer plans to use and has offered it to us. It apperars that both Blue Ox and Roadmaster offer such an adaptor - so that doesn't help the decision...

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great information.
I'd appreciate any other insight that anyone can offer - I'm totally new to the flat towing arena and can use all of the help and benefit of other folks experience that I can get...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #27

My vote is for Roadmaster. Check the installation directions for RM and BO paying attention to their design and mounting. The RM is solidly bolted to the lower suspension.

I also installed RM on my new Explorer and still favor their products.

Best of luck,

Gil
Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Have a 2012 Grand Cherokee coming. Should have it next week. Took my US Gear brake system out of my Liberty. For those that installed the same unit, where did you put the servo motor? I had it under the driver's seat in the Liberty but was thinking of the Passenger Firewall area on the Grand Cherokee. Thought/suggestions appreciated.

BTW - I put that in the Liberty four years ago - all the wires in loom and taped - what a pain to take out -