Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

2011 Jeep Wrangler Toad

Anyone towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler as a toad? I'm purchasing a Sahara for use as my toad and read the owners manual (on-line) where it states to disconnect the negative battery cable when towing. Is there a specific reason for this? Other model/years don't seem to require this. I'm not sure on the steering wheel lock whether this unit has it or not.
rickmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

KZ RV Club
I have a 2010 Wrangler.

The newer Wranglers don't have a steering column lock. And you don't have to mess with the battery.

Engine running, trans in neutral, shift the transfer case to neutral, put trans in R and D briefly to make sure trans case is actually in neutral.

Then, shut off the engine before putting the transmission in Park, or it'll grind gears.

Take out the key and put it in your pocket, and you're ready to hook up the aux brake and tow.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumpAir View Post
I have a 2010 Wrangler.

The newer Wranglers don't have a steering column lock. And you don't have to mess with the battery.

Engine running, trans in neutral, shift the transfer case to neutral, put trans in R and D briefly to make sure trans case is actually in neutral.

Then, shut off the engine before putting the transmission in Park, or it'll grind gears.

Take out the key and put it in your pocket, and you're ready to hook up the aux brake and tow.

Thank you, have a great day
rickmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Just to be clear for you guys.

The transmission needs to be placed in "Park" after shutting off the engine.

The battery stays hooked up, and you plug your aux brake system into the power plug that stays hot when the key is off. That powers the braking system.

I've towed our Wrangler about 30,000 miles now, and it tows like a dream. At first I worried about the brake system wearing down the Jeep's battery, but after a couple 12+ hour drive days, the Jeep fired right up with no sign of a low battery at all.

Just make sure the parking brake is off when you tow. And, DON'T lock the Jeep and set the alarm with the key fob before you tow. Horn honks and lights flash as you go down the road.

Don't ask me how I know this.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll second RMurph and Gump's comments. I have a 2012 and there is no reason to disconnect the battery. That instruction is probably for models prior to 2008 where you had to leave the key in the ignition to keep the steering unlocked. I've towed for three days in a row using an RVI2 brake and never drained the battery enough to even tell. BTW, the 12v outlet inside the console is hot even when the ignition is off.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

I have a 2011 and do not disconnect the battery. I plug my Patriot Brake into the hot 12v in the center console. I make sure to leave the engine running so I can shift the drive and reverse to verify transfer case neutral before going into park and turning off the engine. If I am towing all day, I will start it and let it run during a lunch break to make sure it stays charged enough for a start after powering the Patriot.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My JKU sport does not have a hot outlet when the key is removed, so I hot wire my RVI directly to the battery (fused). I also run a charge line from my motorhome through a RVI charger connection. It's really a fused diode in a nice package with indicator lights. Real nice.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'll second RMurph and Gump's comments. I have a 2012 and there is no reason to disconnect the battery. That instruction is probably for models prior to 2008 where you had to leave the key in the ignition to keep the steering unlocked. I've towed for three days in a row using an RVI2 brake and never drained the battery enough to even tell. BTW, the 12v outlet inside the console is hot even when the ignition is off.
Neither my 92' YJ nor 05' TJ needed battery disconnected. I don't know of any jeep that needed the battery disconnected.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurph View Post
Anyone towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler as a toad? I'm purchasing a Sahara for use as my toad and read the owners manual (on-line) where it states to disconnect the negative battery cable when towing. Is there a specific reason for this? Other model/years don't seem to require this. I'm not sure on the steering wheel lock whether this unit has it or not.
Yes, No info. to add, covered pretty well above...........
Other than my setup here, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/is-a-...ed-219649.html , post#2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00133.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	156186  

Tags
toad