Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fritz, pull the breakaway plug and if you hear a buzz, the thing is activated and the brakes are applied. That is a monthly check that is recommended. It always worked on my Subaru but then I never worried about unhooking the battery because the TV supplied the power for all the Toad lights. The only time I had a problem like I said before, was where the fuse on the motorhome blew and the bat on the Toad died. Easy fix!
I think we're trying to solve a problem that does not exist,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Here is an excerpt from your 2011 JGC manual...:

"12. Firmly apply the parking brake.

13. Shift the transmission into PARK.

CAUTION!

Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission

is shifted into PARK with the transfer case in

NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running. With the

transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the engine

is off prior to shifting the transmission into PARK.

14. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable

tow bar.

15. Release the parking brake.

16. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it

away from the negative battery post."

Link to your 2011 JGC manual is here....: My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

Page 456

Please advise!
I think you left out one step from the instructions that could have a bearing on disconnecting the negative battery cable

11. Turn OFF the engine and leave the ignition switch in the unlocked OFF position.

I believe if you leave your key in that position you would experience battery drain from something, so that's why I think the instructions say to disconnect the battery.

I have a 2011 Wrangler and that instruction is also in my manual and was meant to release the locking steering column. However Wranglers have not had locking steering columns for a couple of years now (I know for sure mine doesn't.) I turn my ignition completely off and remove the key. No problems at all towing. Jeep, at least as far as Wranglers are concerned, simply has not updated their manuals.

Do the new JGCs have locking steering columns? If not it may not be necessary to turn the key in the unlocked OFF position, and therefore have no need to disconnect the battery.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I think you left out one step from the instructions that could have a bearing on disconnecting the negative battery cable

11. Turn OFF the engine and leave the ignition switch in the unlocked OFF position.

I believe if you leave your key in that position you would experience battery drain from something, so that's why I think the instructions say to disconnect the battery.

I have a 2011 Wrangler and that instruction is also in my manual and was meant to release the locking steering column. However Wranglers have not had locking steering columns for a couple of years now (I know for sure mine doesn't.) I turn my ignition completely off and remove the key. No problems at all towing. Jeep, at least as far as Wranglers are concerned, simply has not updated their manuals.

Do the new JGCs have locking steering columns? If not it may not be necessary to turn the key in the unlocked OFF position, and therefore have no need to disconnect the battery.
2011 JGC does not have a steering column lock.

The only battery drain I see that's related to towing when the vehicle is off is the EVIC display will come on every time the brake pedal is pushed. It would seem easier to just pull that fuse.

Have you actually disconnected the battery? Getting to the battery under the passenger seat looks like a major job.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
2011 JGC does not have a steering column lock.

The only battery drain I see that's related to towing when the vehicle is off is the EVIC display will come on every time the brake pedal is pushed. It would seem easier to just pull that fuse.

Have you actually disconnected the battery? Getting to the battery under the passenger seat looks like a major job.
Just my observations... 1st run today with toad. EVIC does NOT display on mine with the key in off position and brake being pressed. Only lights up when doors are being openened and foot is on brake AND you press start.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #19

This is all interesting and on point for me as well. I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited and my manual also says to disconnect the battery. I use a quick disconnect I bought at an auto parts store for a couple of bucks. I chose the thumb screw type over the knife blade type.

Now back to the problem....if I disconnect the battery, I won't have power for my Patriot supplemental braking system.

If I leave the battery on, it will drain on a long drive? Neither option sounds good to me.

Roll
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #20

You (we) can wire our braking system needs to the battery on the battery side of a disconnect. I only need the vehicle's battery for the break away activation of the braking system, so I don't place a constatnt drain on the TOAD's battery. For me, the bigger issue is that getting to the battery is a PITA. It's under seat and doesn't appear easily accessed. I guess, I just need to look. I'm still going to look at removing whatever fuse is causing the battery drain. I still believe the drain is from the EVIC.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Now back to the problem....if I disconnect the battery, I won't have power for my Patriot supplemental braking system.

If I leave the battery on, it will drain on a long drive? Neither option sounds good to me.

Roll
On my previous toad when I was using a Brake Buddy, I installed a cigarette lighter receptacle connected (with a line fuse) to a wire that was hot even with the key off. I now have a Brake Master supplemental system in the new Wrangler, so no need for a power souce in the toad.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Just my observations... 1st run today with toad. EVIC does NOT display on mine with the key in off position and brake being pressed. Only lights up when doors are being openened and foot is on brake AND you press start.
Fritz, you are correct. I didn't realize I had to open the door after turning the Jeep off to let the system fully shutdown. So, now I'm puzzled, what is Jeep's concern that something is draining the battery when towed??? I checked the brake lights and they don't come on when towed. Any idea what Jeep's concerned about relative to power drain?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Fritz, you are correct. I didn't realize I had to open the door after turning the Jeep off to let the system fully shutdown. So, now I'm puzzled, what is Jeep's concern that something is draining the battery when towed??? I checked the brake lights and they don't come on when towed. Any idea what Jeep's concerned about relative to power drain?
I have to go back to the dealer Friday for some work including wiring in the coach. They agreed to also wire a 12-Volt lead from the coach through the umbilical cord into the Jeep for the power line to the Patriot Brake system. Then I will continue to disconnect the battery as the mfg recommends.

Roll (still interested however in just what is drawing the battery down.)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok guys FWIW....: My U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake installer told me that with my brake system and my Jeep, there will be NO TOAD BATTERY DRAIN on the provided wiring system. Brakes and lights run off coach batts. I'm sorry i cannot give any advise on other brakes but U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brakes run off a power wire from the coach as well as the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal lights of toad.

fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote